Disneyland Prices - WTF

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
wife wants to take the kids, luckily one is under 3 years old. Looking at about $500 for two adults one childs ticket peak season. Doesn't include parking. That is a lot to be stuck in a huge crowd all day. I guess what wife wants wife gets - I am learning. LOL
Took my son when he was little under 10 twice during Thanksgiving and had good experiences with crowds but not much help for prices. One thing I noticed is package deals usually bezt with hotel and tickets.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I think there is supposed to be one private club that serves it (probably $15 for a Keystone Light given similar prices) but it's dry. Which is crazy because that's the place you need booze the most. Covertly downing some edibles before you walk in is a viable strategy. Adventure City is same way but the whole atmosphere there is a lot more tolerable and doesn't resemble a Chinese wave pool.

Knott's Berry Farm does have beer sold in several places throughout the park. That was much better than Disneyland. Took my kids there this fall for a birthday and it was much more chill than Disneyland. Some lines but nothing horrible. Longest I waited was 20 minutes. There's a whole area there (Camp Snoopy) devoted to rides for young kids.
Knott's fried chicken dinner with mashed pototoes gravy and boysenberry pie for dessert is worth.admission alone.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Fast Pass and single rider lines are your friend.

We had passes when my daughter was in elementary school. It was like $200 each. No Saturdays and lots of block out days (holidays and summer), but we'd go after work on Friday, eat dinner (the carne asada at the next restaurant was good) and go on a few rides. With the pass after the third visit you'd be out of the red. Parking was extra on one of the passes, but again after the third visit you're golden. Don't know what passes cost now.

I don't get people who bag on Disneyland. It's like Christmas. You can get all upset about it or you can go with the flow. When I paddle out at my local when it's crowded I say to myself, "If I get three good waves I'll be happy." I never leave unsatisfied. Once I remember I got to 15 and stopped counting. So it is with Disneyland. Every now and then we'd score an uncrowded day. But in any case just chill and don't get stressed about anything. It's been crowded since the 50's.

Reactions: Ifallalot and Havoc

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Went on an employee night during college. It was still crowded but I got to ride space mountain continuously for an hour at the end of the night. The place will never be not crowded.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Went on an employee night during college. It was still crowded but I got to ride space mountain continuously for an hour at the end of the night. The place will never be not crowded.
Grad night in '89 was about the bezt I ever scored disney high on acid and shrooms trippin' in the park..

Reactions: retodd

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Yeah, just keep it as a backup plan if she balks at the Disneyland prices. Then you can say, well there's this other place I heard about...

Like Littlewave said, bring your own food and water. Make sure the water is in unopened bottles and then just fill up at drinking fountains. This will save you some serious $$$$$.

Bring noise-canceling headphones for the It's a Small World ride which you will undoubtedly find yourselves on. Hearing that song over and over again will erode your sanity. And there is nowhere around where you can get a beer or doubleshot of 151 to ease the pain.
There is a restaurant in the pirate ride that serves drinks

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
haha, we were also on microdoses of shrooms (not cause we knew what microdosing was but because someone lost the second bag so we all had to share one bag). Pirates of the Caribbean was a REAL adventure.
Star tours I would not leave r2d2 and c3p0 out front I was talking in robot native tongue:)

Reactions: racer1

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
This came up last Wednesday at work, this guy I work with has purchased annual passes forever.
I asked if he was doing the Disney thing this weekend (he and his girlfriend used to go at least twice a month)
He said no, they've been priced out of being able to afford APs. He had this look on his face like his dog just died, kinda felt sorry for him.
On another note, I was talking to this friend about how you wouldn't catch me dead at Disneyland or any other theme park for that matter.
He said he wouldn't either. Then he blows me away and tells me back in the 90s he took his little daughter to Disneyland and she was hit and killed by a park employee in the parking lot. Whaaaat!

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I hate disneyword/land and every time I'm dragged there I'm in constant amazement of the families you see there who are spending way beyond their means to go there because it's what they're supposed to do. A right of passage of sorts. What Walt created is evil genius but damn. You can take a family of four to Hawaii for a week for the price of 3 days at Disneyland when you factor in admission, parking, concessions, souvenirs, etc. I'm also amazed at the local season pass holders, I'd rather go to the dentist. And only fat chicks have Disney tattoos.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't get people who bag on Disneyland.
What's not to love about a place that is systematically designed to extract as much of your cash as possible while you battle crowds and wait in endless lines?

Otherwise I see what you are getting at. From a cinematic cultural and historical perspective I see the appeal. The level of detail throughout the whole park complex is impressive.

Reactions: Havoc

littlewave

Michael Peterson status
Nov 15, 2009
Orange County
Like Littlewave said, bring your own food and water. Make sure the water is in unopened bottles and then just fill up at drinking fountains. This will save you some serious $$$$$.
We bring our own insulated bottles, usually full of water, never have a problem.

MitchellC

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 28, 2016
We had annual passes for a few years when the kids were pre-school. If there weren't waves, we'd go early almost every Sunday during winter/spring for a few hours. Took lunch/snacks; bought soft drinks and hung out at the tables before heading home.

I don't think you can still do this, but downtown Disney used to have validated 3 hr parking. It's also where the monorail has stops (including the hotel). It ran 1/2 hr (?) before the official park opening, so we'd get on the first train. We never stayed more than 3 hours, so we'd swing by ESPN or whatever on the way out to have the parking ticket validated.

We became pro level Disneyland patrons - had the place completely wired. Pacing is critical - it's important to use up some energy, then take the (steam) train or other transport as everyone slows down. Lasted a few years until everybody grew up/burned out on it. Went later a few times with family/teenagers during prime time and it of course was a completely different experience.

The last time we ever visited any of the parks was in FL. My wife had some fond memories as a kid from the 80s. We were back there visiting during the holidays and decided to swing by. Bad mistake - crowds surpassed all previous experiences - we're talking inability to move. Even my wife was taken aback - everything she had remembered was destroyed by reality as an adult.

You gotta hand it to Disney however. Their attention to detail is simply amazing. Also, their ability to "put the (financial) hurt" on innocent visitors is unsurpassed. They don't fool around; no one is getting out for a few measly $hundreds. I don't think a family of four can escape for under $1k if doing the full day, meals, trinkets and perhaps overnight.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Also, is there still TSA style security to get into downtown disney? There was in 2018 when I was there last. Lame.