Different strains....

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Cut my last baby yesterday, was going to wait an extra week after the full moon, but Africa decided to faaaaart.

Dry (35%) hot (110°F) and desert dust in the air is a perfect combo to wilt those resin heads and cover the ones that survive with red dust rendering them unsmokeable.... she's hanging in the AC with a dehumidifier next to her right now.

Smells INCREDIBLE!!!

I heart harvest.

Last edited:

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
Starting with 6 seedlings, I have only 2 survivors and hope to harvest them within the next week or two. So far no appearance of the infamous Socal corn earworm moth larvae! I used an organic pest spray intended for vegetables during the early stages of flowering and switched to boiled orange peel water (as SurfFuerteventura suggested) for the last few weeks to wash away any chemical residue before harvesting. This variety is called "Platinum Watermelon." I am still not impressed with the size of my buds. Any opinions on what variety has the highest THC? I saw a Youtube that said "Grease Monkey" was highest. What variety grows GIANT buds?

Last edited:

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
What variety grows GIANT buds?
the problem with giant buds is that if you are growing a super dense nuggety indica dominant strain they are prone to bud rot

so generally a hybrid with a bit more sativa is best, though they do have a longer flowering time and that can pose powdery mildew issues into october

try blue dream. but you need space as they get huge

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
the problem with giant buds is that if you are growing a super dense nuggety indica dominant strain they are prone to bud rot

so generally a hybrid with a bit more sativa is best, though they do have a longer flowering time and that can pose powdery mildew issues into october

try blue dream. but you need space as they get huge
By "bud rot" are you sure it is not those little green caterpillers that eat the buds from the inside out?

Thanks for the info. I am a big fan of Blue Dream.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
By "bud rot" are you sure it is not those little green caterpillers that eat the buds from the inside out?
not catapillars. i dont know what fungus causes it but its basically a function of ambient moisture in the coast range, mild climate and dense flowers

blue dream is an easy grow

Reactions: encladd

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Bigger is not always better, especially outdoor...don't overthink your first grows - have fun and the beautiful buds will come.

Reactions: doc_flavonoid

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
So much trimming.... :shameonyou:

Awesome grow,but hope you have lots of help at harvest!

Never will I ever overgrow ganja again.

Still have a numb on my trimming fingers from the 2020 crop. :crazy2:
Not mine. Colorado. He had enough help. Cleared 50lbs of close trim #1. The rest got processed. Fun and profit. He lived year around on it, several years, wintered here. The bottom fell out of the market after more states legalized, he had an excellent run.

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Harvested on full moon Friday, sugar leaves are done...
One more to go, the oldest one is the last one. Yes, bud rot is a thing. I go in and trim that chit out.

1696169199317.png

Maybe let her go too long
1696169330200.png

Chochki sent me some seeds. Some were too early, some went male. Some turned out as expected.
1696169856706.png

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Any of you ever use a hand cranked bowl trimmer? I am trying to cut down on the trim time. I am told it doesn't look as good as a tight hand trim but as this is for personal use I'm not soo stressed about that. What remains of the sugar leaves after the bowl trim won't be a bad thing. What I'm more worried about is how much damage the trichomes take when the buds are gently spun around in the bowl. Would you use one of thesse?

Bowl Trimmer