Can we talk about the keto diet?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
StinkinHippie said:
Any eating plan without carbs is foolish.

Guess what, if your wife or GF gets on this keto diet she's going to be a BTB. BIG TIME BITCH.

No carbs = irritable kunt.
Only for a few days.

I don’t eat a whole lot of carbs, they make me feel like sh!t.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I tried it for about a 6 weeks. The idea is simple. If your body doesn't have any carbs to burn it will burn fat instead. I lost about 12lbs in that 6 weeks.
A lot of that weight was probably water weight, not fat. Carbs are stored in your muscles as glycogen, and each gram of carbs holds on to about 3-4 grams of water. When you restrict carbs, your body will use that glycogen as fuel. Hence the rapid weight loss. If you want to see if that weight loss was fat, eat a pizza or bowl of pasta and see if you are still down 12 pounds the day after.
The idea is simple. If your body doesn't have any carbs to burn it will burn fat instead
Your body will still burn dietary fat first. If you are in a calorie deficit, then your body will move into burning stored body fat, but it would do that on a carb based diet as well.

Keto does not have any magical fat burning properties. If you eat an excessive amount of calories on keto you will still gain weight. Keto does have some appetite supressive effects, so any success with keto comes from indirectly restricting calories.

Science, out! :beer:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
you kind lose interest in eating when you're deep in to it AND eating
carbs makes you feel like such a pile of sh!t that the emergent sense
of disgust reinforces your adherence to the keto menu.

green tea, fruits, and veggie snacks help keep you sane.

it can be expensive if you just try to red meat your way through each
day....even if you rotate chicken and fish, your grocery bill will likely
go up if you're overly reliant on animal proteins.

I know some people are not keen on them, but I like legumes mixed
in for slow carbs that don't put you in to a glycemic coma...good fiber
too.

I do best when I allow myself to be less stirict from friday night to sunday
morning. after a while you won't want go crush a california burrito and
some coldstones...you just kind of lose the appetite for that sh!t after
a few weeks...but you can drink (beer even) on the weekends and have
a burger and fries and it won't fark with your levels.

I don't know if I could swing the intermittent fasting like ifallalot does...I
work from home and cook daily which makes bored/stress snacking a
bugaboo. I heard someone mentioning that they drink bone broth during
the day along with coffee and water and that doesn't bork the fasting
cycle. I definitely like fasted cardio/weights in the morning and afternoon;
the benefits are visible.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Carbs are by far the easiest nutrient to overeat. They are also difficult to portion and guesstimate their calories visually. If you replace that with vegetables, you can fill your plate liberally and get very full with a negligible amount of calories, while eliminating a large number of calories by not eating carbs. Proteins on the other hand are difficult to overeat and therefore self regulating, while fats are somewhere in between.

Keto forces you to give up chips, most fried food, sweets, etc along with requiring low alcohol intake. High calorie restaurant meals are also not an option. All of these have a huge impact on reducing calorie intake and water weight fluctuations, which is where the overall weight loss comes from.

I think there are lessons to be learned from this style of eating, but it is not a metabolic hack in and of itself. There are also some short sighted ideas like limiting legumes, which are very satiating and low calorie, and some flat out idiotic ideas like putting tablespoons of butter and coconut oil in your coffee as a weight loss strategy :roflmao:

In the end, thermodynamics wins every time. If keto helps you stay consistent, great, but realize it is merely a strategy for better compliance.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Cutting complete food groups out of your diet is silly. Not all carbs are bad.

Everything in moderation.

Plus if you're into any kind of activity that remotely requires endurance, you're fuct without carbs.

Intermitent fasting, sure.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
ifallalot said:
tsenn said:
Old co workers sold the Pruvit Keto...bla bla bla...
Yeah I've seen some snake oil coming out to try and "promote ketones" and other BS

There's nothing to sell to make Keto work. All one has to do is stay under 25ish net carbs per day.

Intermittent fasting works on the same principles and gets the body to burn the same way with a less strict diet.
this be true. keto is easy to follow and it works.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
FecalFace said:

Plus if you're into any kind of activity that remotely requires endurance, you're fuct without carbs.

I’ve done a couple iron distance triathlons, one while on a high carb/high fueling (during race) diet and one on a very low carb/low fueling (during race) and there was no discernible performance difference.

The only thing I noticed was during training I had a lower incidence of “crashing” (where I’d go into a hypoglycemic sh!t zone) when I was on the low carb diet.

The high carb diet was a roller coaster at times and if I didn’t eat I’d basically just pass out.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
One size does not fit all.

I think intermittent fasting is good but it's a bitch you have to do work that creates a high cognitive strain.

I would be in front of the class and be like, "Teacher can't think good when he doesn't eat, kids."

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
FecalFace said:

This.

Fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, brown rice, unprocessed foods, olive oil, seafood, and don't overeat. It's not that complicated.

Only in America do we have these dilemmas of "which diet is best for losing weight?!"

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Duffy said:
StinkinHippie said:
Any eating plan without carbs is foolish.

Guess what, if your wife or GF gets on this keto diet she's going to be a BTB. BIG TIME BITCH.

No carbs = irritable kunt.
Only for a few days.

I don’t eat a whole lot of carbs, they make me feel like sh!t.
Neither do I. I'm by no means Keto, but when I eat pizza or a bagel or something now I feel like ass

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
afoaf said:

too.

:hah:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
FecalFace said:

This is wrong. Its not instant but once someone is fat adapted they have just as much endurance as anyone else

http://www.nourishbalancethrive.com/blog/2014/08/20/six-steps-fat-adaptation-athletes/

https://ultrarunning.com/features/health-and-nutrition/the-emerging-science-on-fat-adaptation/

And tons more

Now this of course some carbs, not no carbs and when talking the numbers we talk about "net" carbs. Every gram of fiber cancels out a gram of carbohydrates

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
hal9000 said:
FecalFace said:

This.

Fruits, vegetables, nuts, beans, brown rice, unprocessed foods, olive oil, seafood, and don't overeat. It's not that complicated.

Only in America do we have these dilemmas of "which diet is best for losing weight?!"
Obesity is a worldwide phenomena

Adult obesity rates are highest in the United States, Mexico, New Zealand and Hungary, while they are lowest in Japan and Korea.

UK is most obese country in western Europe, OECD finds

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
afoaf said:

too.

The IF is easy when you time it right. I do 16:8 and rarely go with the days on-days off approach. That's basically just skipping breakfast. I eat at 11am, then after the gym around 6:45, and then rinse and repeat. I usually have one snack between my two meals.

I've tried the OMAD (one meal a day) thing a few times but I usually feel like sh!t because I just gorge myself at my one meal, when I'd rather eat two smaller meals

How do you drink green tea on an empty stomach? It f's me up. But then again I drink black coffee all morning on an empty stomach and that tears other people up.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
The best diet I found is tracking calories and eating lots of fruits, veggies, and protein. Stay under 2000-2500 calories per day and give yourself a cheat day once a week and you'll lose weight. Buy a 10$ kitchen scale on amazon and measure your food.

All the Keto diet does is indirectly fill you up because it's hard to overeat you're caloric intake on it.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Duffy said:
FecalFace said:

I’ve done a couple iron distance triathlons, one while on a high carb/high fueling (during race) diet and one on a very low carb/low fueling (during race) and there was no discernible performance difference.

The only thing I noticed was during training I had a lower incidence of “crashing” (where I’d go into a hypoglycemic sh!t zone) when I was on the low carb diet.

The high carb diet was a roller coaster at times and if I didn’t eat I’d basically just pass out.
Exactly.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
FecalFace said:
Duffy said:
FecalFace said:

Exactly.
Yes. Exactly. Low carb diet for endurance training is BETTER.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
ifallalot said:
FecalFace said:

This is wrong. Its not instant but once someone is fat adapted they have just as much endurance as anyone else
:roflmao:

Clueless.

You can pretend that your body adopted using fat as fuel but there's no going around the fact that there's nothing that body can do to turn fat or protein into energy when needed quickly, as fast as carbs.

If you are into any kind of endurance activity, you will be burning way more calories than the body can retain from consuming fat or protein prior to excercise. Plus you will feel like sh!t because body has to work hard to digest it.

Another one of your science denying opinions that you learned from Joe Rogan.

LogHauler

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 29, 2010
grapedrink said:
I tried it for about a 6 weeks. The idea is simple. If your body doesn't have any carbs to burn it will burn fat instead. I lost about 12lbs in that 6 weeks.
A lot of that weight was probably water weight, not fat. Carbs are stored in your muscles as glycogen, and each gram of carbs holds on to about 3-4 grams of water. When you restrict carbs, your body will use that glycogen as fuel. Hence the rapid weight loss. If you want to see if that weight loss was fat, eat a pizza or bowl of pasta and see if you are still down 12 pounds the day after.
The idea is simple. If your body doesn't have any carbs to burn it will burn fat instead
Your body will still burn dietary fat first. If you are in a calorie deficit, then your body will move into burning stored body fat, but it would do that on a carb based diet as well.

Keto does not have any magical fat burning properties. If you eat an excessive amount of calories on keto you will still gain weight. Keto does have some appetite supressive effects, so any success with keto comes from indirectly restricting calories.

Science, out! :beer:
I've been off the keto thing for about 2 weeks now. Still down 12 lbs. I'm not one that runs around touting my beliefs... just saying how it went for me and what I was told the theory behind it was. It's worth noting that I was once Type 2 diabetic, (my numbers have not indicated diabetes for many months), and, for that reason, I will always pay close attention to my carb intake.