Can we talk about the keto diet?

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Just ask anyone you know who is on it. They seem to love talking about their diet almost as much as vegans. :dancing:

Reactions: $kully

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my french neighbors eat this way...

I said, "you guys are ketogenic?"

they said, "no. we're just french"

(she is gluten intolerant, so it's basically all protein, cheese, veggies.)

it's an easy diet, especially if you do your own cooking.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
Is this a bat signal to Squidley to post us his extensive keto research? :batman:

Or are you guys just going to argue over here now?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
sizzld1 said:
Just ask anyone you know who is on it. They seem to love talking about their diet almost as much as vegans. :dancing:
Seriously. This is all I've been hearing about at ever stupid xmas dinner I've attended. It's like a competition.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
hal9000 said:
sizzld1 said:
Seriously. This is all I've been hearing about at ever stupid xmas dinner I've attended. It's like a competition.
take it up a notch and tell them how you used to be keto, but got tired of consuming factory farmed meat and now you only eat what you kill or find

LogHauler

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 29, 2010
I tried it for about a 6 weeks. The idea is simple. If your body doesn't have any carbs to burn it will burn fat instead. I lost about 12lbs in that 6 weeks. During that time I didn't exercise much more than walking a couple of miles 3 or 4 times a week. I didn't calorie count but I drastically reduced carbs and I ate no "bad" carbs. The worst side effect was constipation.

About 2 weeks ago I began weight training and playing basketball. My neighbor, (who is a trainer), says I need carbs for what I'm doing so I'm back to a more normal diet.

We'll see.

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
When I started looking at diets and food I started at longevity...who lives the longest and what do they eat? That led me to the Blue Zones...pretty much how I eat regularly...

NDG

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 28, 2013
LA
friends of mine swear by it but I like certain foods too much and dont have problems losing weight as long as Im burning more cals than Im eating.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Any eating plan without carbs is foolish.

Guess what, if your wife or GF gets on this keto diet she's going to be a BTB. BIG TIME BITCH.

No carbs = irritable kunt.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
StinkinHippie said:
Any eating plan without carbs is foolish.

Guess what, if your wife or GF gets on this keto diet she's going to be a BTB. BIG TIME BITCH.

No carbs = irritable kunt.
Yup. But try telling that to a keto person. They insist that being in ketosis is a normal part of our homeostasis.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
tsenn said:
Old co workers sold the Pruvit Keto...bla bla bla...
Yeah I've seen some snake oil coming out to try and "promote ketones" and other BS

There's nothing to sell to make Keto work. All one has to do is stay under 25ish net carbs per day.

Intermittent fasting works on the same principles and gets the body to burn the same way with a less strict diet.