Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
garden is dead and covered by snow above ground, but i dug up a carrot and ate it today and it tasted great!

i wonder how long those suckers will stay fresh and edible underground?
ground has finally thawed enough for me to dig up the carrots that i left in the ground for the winter...

1680129841824.png

some of them have some soft spots but for the most part they seem to be pretty good

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Ball cherries are flowering along with the lone Fuji apple. The two Honeycrisps are doing real good but not showing any signs of flowering yet. Idgaf bc I just saw a hummingbird feeding on the Fuji‘s flowers. Just got done setting up drip irrigation, wicked stocked.
E067B986-019B-40E5-8858-C48588AA5780.jpeg

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
i have had a lone Anna apple tree for a couple of years but it needs a pollinator and my back yard is too small for two apple trees. so i took a shot at grafting a couple of Dorsett Golden scions onto it a couple of months ago, in order to allow it to have sex with itself, without fear of judgement or recrimination.

and at first, i got all excited when my grafts produced leaves...but then found out that doesn't mean sh!t, in terms of a successful graft. now, three months later, i'm pretty sure i failed completely and the only thing still holding those scions on is the graft tape. oh well, guess we'll try it again next year. :shrug:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
i have had a lone Anna apple tree for a couple of years but it needs a pollinator and my back yard is too small for two apple trees. so i took a shot at grafting a couple of Dorsett Golden scions onto it a couple of months ago, in order to allow it to have sex with itself, without fear of judgement or recrimination.

and at first, i got all excited when my grafts produced leaves...but then found out that doesn't mean sh!t, in terms of a successful graft. now, three months later, i'm pretty sure i failed completely and the only thing still holding those scions on is the graft tape. oh well, guess we'll try it again next year. :shrug:
Im not sure I’ll ever get apples either unless the two varieties end up blooming at the same time. The Fuji from High Plains Nursery outside Durango was better established (they grew it) than the two from the local place that they got from somewhere else so I’m hoping that’s why it’s so far ahead rn but they might not ever flower concurrently.

I really did it for the aesthetics and am just stocked the hummingbirds like the flowers and nothing died from being buried under feet of snow all winter and now they are all doing well here in the high desert.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I let my lettuce flower just to see what happens. They look like tall weeds now.

The potatoes are coming in.

I'm going to try garlic and ginger when they chit.

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Im not sure I’ll ever get apples either unless the two varieties end up blooming at the same time. The Fuji from High Plains Nursery outside Durango was better established (they grew it) than the two from the local place that they got from somewhere else so I’m hoping that’s why it’s so far ahead rn but they might not ever flower concurrently.

I really did it for the aesthetics and am just stocked the hummingbirds like the flowers and nothing died from being buried under feet of snow all winter and now they are all doing well here in the high desert.
i did it for the apples. :cursing:

Reactions: Chocki

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
apples are going off this year. loads of little micro fruits. plums were a bust. they flowered too early and then got hailed on. looks like a few pears and cherries survived. peaches are looking promising for the 3rd year in a row. the garden is a mixed bag so far but I think we will be in the berries and veggies soon.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
My snow peas have just sprouted and the first round of pole beans rotted in the ground (due to all the rain). Blue-berries doing well though. And the Japanese "arugula" that flowered last summer has become a tasty weed in the former tomato zone. Columnar apple tree just bloomed too.
Tangy Green columnar apple has set some fruit (now about 4 ft tall):
1685401250665.png

Enterprise apple set a lot of fruit (again):
1685401230585.png

First round of snow peas to be harvested tomorrow (behind is nursery "greenhouse" with cherry tomato):
1685401378281.png

Salad greens jumping out of the pot...have been eating this every week. Last year's kitchen scrap compost heap with oodles of worms have enhanced the soil:1685401526934.png

Kitchen scrap compost scattered elsewhere have brought us a volunteer squash (at least that is what I think it is):1685401591388.png

Dwarf fig espalier (against fence for extra heat and less wind) now in 3rd year...maybe some figs next year?
1685401658244.png

And blueberries starting the long ripening process at long last:
1685401735204.png

i have 6 different plum varieties. one of them started blooming in Feb and then we had two snow storms back to back and multiple days of freezing rain and hail. doh.

Our plum was doing great then there was a pause in the rain, a great blooming, and then the rain came back....might get 6 plums this year. As such, I feel your pain :cursing:

And the apples....columnar apple bloomed first with the plumb and suffered similar fate. Enterprise apple bloomed two weeks later and, well, crop diversity suddenly makes a lot of sense.

I did lettuce and a potato.

I thought I would have abundance of crops.

I got 3 salads and two small red potatoes.

The village would have starved I fear.
What kind of potato did you try to grow?

I once tried growing some potatoes using a chicken-wire cage "tower design":

A Get enough chicken-wire to make a cylinder, stake it vertically
B Add good soil, add "seed" potatoes", add more soil, add more seed potatoes, etc
C Water as needed
D Harvest when the time has come

It worked well enough.

Maybe I can find something on YouTube...hold on....ah, here you go:

Last edited:

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
Tangy Green columnar apple has set some fruit (now about 4 ft tall):
View attachment 155168

Enterprise apple set a lot of fruit (again):
View attachment 155167

First round of snow peas to be harvested tomorrow (behind is nursery "greenhouse" with cherry tomato):
View attachment 155169

Salad greens jumping out of the pot...have been eating this every week. Last year's kitchen scrap compost heap with oodles of worms have enhanced the soil:View attachment 155170

Kitchen scrap compost scattered elsewhere have brought us a volunteer squash (at least that is what I think it is):View attachment 155171

Dwarf fig espalier (against fence for extra heat and less wind) now in 3rd year...maybe some figs next year?
View attachment 155172

And blueberries starting the long ripening process at long last:
View attachment 155173

Our plum was doing great then there was a pause in the rain, a great blooming, and then the rain came back....might geat 6 plums this year. As such, I feel your pain :cursing:

And the apples....columnar apple bloomed first with the plumb and suffered similar fate. Enterprise apple bloomed two weeks later and, well, crop diversity suddenly makes a lot of sense.
You shouldn't have that many apples in the bunch I think. For my bonsai pear tree this year I am going for one pear.
Last year I tried with two and they both turned out bad. So this year my tree will concentrate all its vigor on just one :)

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You shouldn't have that many apples in the bunch I think. For my bonsai pear tree this year I am going for one pear.
Last year I tried with two and they both turned out bad. So this year my tree will concentrate all its vigor on just one :)

I took the picture when I started to thin the apples to two per bunch...depends on how sturdy the fruit spur is.

Lots of smaller apples or fewer bigger ones?

PS
The Enterprise apple is more of a keeper type, while the Tangy Green (columnar) is more a fresh eating type.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Along Fanno Creek in the Raleigh Hills neighborhood (of SW Portland), there was an abandoned farm where some feeder creeks met up (with Fanno Creek).

On the grounds were some old fruit trees and berry bushes. Cherry, apple, apricot, raspberry, etc. They would ripen in a particular order and it was fun to raid these as kids.

Anyway, there was a crab apple (generally used to help pollinate the regular apple trees) that grew these golf ball sized fruits. Bitter for the most part and excellent for hucking at your friends, but once the leaves fell off the tree, they would ripen in a week, going from rock hard to mushy soft. If you lucked into one halfway between those states that wasn't too bird pecked, it was a spicy (think cinnamon and allspice) sweet delight. Maybe 1 in 4 was good.

At least that is how it plays out in my mind. Probably am blending crabapple tastes with with the regular apply tree fruits of old varieties (that have no modern "shelf-life" for shipping and thus are lost to the modern store shopper).

Last edited:
Reactions: crustBrother

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
View attachment 155172

What kind of potato did you try to grow?

I once tried growing some potatoes using a chicken-wire cage "tower design":

A Get enough chicken-wire to make a cylinder, stake it vertically
B Add good soil, add "seed" potatoes", add more soil, add more seed potatoes, etc
C Water as needed
D Harvest when the time has come

It worked well enough.

Maybe I can find something on YouTube...hold on....ah, here you go:
fwiw, did potato towers a couple years ago and did not have good results. also, what are those bamboo-like stalks in front of the fig tree?

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
I've never had any luck with potatoes except for the year I got an accidental bumper crop that volunteered in my compost pile

:shrug:

:jamon:

:roflmao:

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof