Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
i envy you guys. cukes are like tomatoes - so much more flavorful home-grown that they might as well be an entirely different vegetable. thai cuke salad is my recipe of choice:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
i envy you guys. cukes are like tomatoes - so much more flavorful home-grown that they might as well be an entirely different vegetable. thai cuke salad is my recipe of choice:

Pretty simple salad and pretty good find a recipe you like or diy :shaka:

Senor Sopa

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 11, 2015
Ponto
Im eating at least two per day and giving away the extras to neighbors. Lots of veggie sandwiches and salads. Ive been on a blue cheese kick so just a simple cuke salad with blue cheese dressing has been my go to. Maybe some leftover chicken or salmon on top to make it a meal.

Here is the bowl from this morning. Hard to keep up. View attachment 137398

These were volunteer potatoes growing in the spring snow pea bed. View attachment 137400
Very nice compost sifter!

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Chocki--> What kind of apple trees you got?
2x Honeycrisp, 1x Fuji. I had envisioned planting more but I forgot how much digging holes kind of sucks.

I want them to do well so Im using some high quality amendments mixed with old soil from this summer’s pot plants.
86037EEF-ADF7-43CC-9F25-7E754ADE9091.jpeg

With some added myco
02F9B239-F266-4B0E-8044-9DA9A35E81F1.jpeg

ACEC73F5-F717-440F-966C-A64FBFAC3BB1.jpeg
Im debating pruning and trying to root the new growth from the base that or just pruning it all off and that janky lower branch that has too much space above it until the next, symmetrical branches

Last edited:

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Just curious.
Is growing your own tobacco to smoke still pose the same health issues as store bought tobacco?
I know the big tobacco companies add all kinds of sh!t to make it more addicting.
Maybe the same as smoking weed? :shrug:
Where do you get tobacco seeds?
Is it legal?

Reactions: rowjimmytour

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Is growing your own tobacco to smoke still pose the same health issues as store bought tobacco?
i don't know.

i almost *never* smoke it. lungs can't handle it. i chew it.

but i will say this. switching from store bought chew to the stuff i grew was hard. even though i was getting plenty nicotine from the home grown stuff, there was something else my body/brain was craving. eventually that craving went away and i found that with my home grown stuff i could sort of take it or leave it on any given day. very different from the hard core "gotta-have-it-all-the-time level of addiction" that i had with the store bought stuff. but i also missed that hard bump that i was getting from the store bought stuff and eventually went back to the store bought stuff. looking forward to getting back off that and back onto my homegrown stuff after this harvest.

so, yeah, i think big tobacco companies are in fact doing something to the stuff they are selling to juice it up, and, yeah, i suspect my homegrown stuff is not as bad for me as the store bought stuff

but i don't really know

Where do you get tobacco seeds?
Is it legal?

legal to grow for personal consumption here in CO - no idea about other states

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Im debating pruning and trying to root the new growth from the base that or just pruning it all off and that janky lower branch that has too much space above it until the next, symmetrical branches
If the growth at the base is from the rootstock (pretty much all fruit trees are grafted onto rootstock), and you are successful at pruning and rooting it, will be interesting to see what sort of fruit you get. Generally fruit from rootstock is of lower quality, but who knows until it is done. Pruning suckers from the base always is good as you want the energy going to the grafted part since that is why you bought it.

I like low branching on my mini-dwarf fruit trees, even if it looks a little janky, as it makes it easier to pick, especially for raccoons I have found out :cursing: But totally get aesthetic choices of pruning it.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
i don't know.

i almost *never* smoke it. lungs can't handle it. i chew it.

but i will say this. switching from store bought chew to the stuff i grew was hard. even though i was getting plenty nicotine from the home grown stuff, there was something else my body/brain was craving. eventually that craving went away and i found that with my home grown stuff i could sort of take it or leave it on any given day. very different from the hard core "gotta-have-it-all-the-time level of addiction" that i had with the store bought stuff. but i also missed that hard bump that i was getting from the store bought stuff and eventually went back to the store bought stuff. looking forward to getting back off that and back onto my homegrown stuff after this harvest.

so, yeah, i think big tobacco companies are in fact doing something to the stuff they are selling to juice it up, and, yeah, i suspect my homegrown stuff is not as bad for me as the store bought stuff

but i don't really know

legal to grow for personal consumption here in CO - no idea about other states
What store brand do you use? During hs used to chew copenhagen which I remember skoal as well would add fibers to cut gums to get into blood stream faster.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I'm growing lettuce.

IT's my first success.

But mice are eating it.

I saw a little dude down there when I was checking out my work,

What should I do?

I also planted a red potato yesterday.

Neglect farming is REAL!

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I'm growing lettuce.

IT's my first success.

But mice are eating it.

I saw a little dude down there when I was checking out my work,

What should I do?

I also planted a red potato yesterday.

Neglect farming is REAL!
Let him or her have some too :)

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
garden is dead and covered by snow above ground, but i dug up a carrot and ate it today and it tasted great!

i wonder how long those suckers will stay fresh and edible underground?

Reactions: Joshua2415

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
There are carrot varieties which are meant to grow over winter. I grew some last year. Planted in aug/sep and harvested in the spring. They were fantastic. We dont get snow here often though so not sure how they would handle that.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Does anyone have any experience with using urine as a compost accelerator? Asking for a friend.

Last edited: