Can i start a vegetable and herb garden thread?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I don't think the tater towers are worth the effort. They want lots of water and the towers dry out too quickly IMO. Plant them in a bed and use the straw to mulch them.
Yeah, they are a bit of effort for a cheap product. (Towers may be best for small garden space with water on a timer.) Agree they are much easier in the ground.

Likely better to put time/effort into more expensive crops that taste better than the store bought items (tomatoes and snowpeas and berries!).

also, what are those bamboo-like stalks in front of the fig tree?
A type of horsetail reed.

More here (click me).

They are an accent piece that require pretty much zero care and are self-sprouting opportunistics in our yard. I rip 'em out whenever we want more room for something else, otherwise, they look nice against the fence when we don't have pole beans growing up the wires.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Yeah, they are a bit of effort for a cheap product. (Towers may be best for small garden space with water on a timer.) Agree they are much easier in the ground.

Likely better to put time/effort into more expensive crops that taste better than the store bought items (tomatoes and snowpeas and berries!).
I share a similar philosophy as far as what to grow vs. what to just buy. If you have abundant space potatoes are easy and they produce a lot of actual food. They also store well if you have the right setup. On the other hand they are super cheap to buy and the quality difference between a home grown potato and a store bought one is fairly minimal compared to something like peas, carrots, tomatoes, etc. If you are going to grow potatoes (or in some cases, potato) I think doing something different like purples or fingerlings is fun.

This spring has been very cold and windy so far. Even since the rains have stopped, it's just been constant Northerlies. The garden isn't super thrilled. Brassica's are doing well. Strawberries look promising. Cukes, tomato and the little pepper plant are kind of hating it. I need to bite the bullet and build a greenhouse.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

i dig that horsetail reed :shaka:

and i never used to grow potatoes, for about the same reason - cheap product, probably not worth the effort - until a few years ago when my local farmer's supply started selling purple and red and gold and fingerling seed potatoes, varieties not usually found in my local supermarket, and much tastier, as it turns out. it's become a little more challenging coz they recommend 3-4 year rotation cycle - hence the grow bags coz i ran out of places to put them this year.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Horsetails....don't feed them to ruminants.

Those plants incorporate a fair amount of silicon into the cell structure and that doesn't play well with vegetarian tummies (or others for that matter).

Someone once told me they were good for removing arsenic from soil, but I think there may be better plants for that (let the plant grow, then pull them and disposed of them elsewhere).

About the boutique potatoes.....yeah, that fits into Aruka's (and my) own garden philosophy. I mean, sure, who doesn't want to show off a 1 kg russet baked to perfection on the grill that you grew yourself next to the Thai basil, but......would rather show off the Stupice with the Japanese spicy lettuce (sort of a taste cross between arugula and mustard greens) dressed with the Meyer lemon and sesame oil.

Cukes, tomato and the little pepper plant are kind of hating it. I need to bite the bullet and build a greenhouse.
I keep thinking the same for the same reason {stupid fog that essentially halts everything till mid-September}..

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Horsetails....don't feed them to ruminants.

Those plants incorporate a fair amount of silicon into the cell structure and that doesn't play well with vegetarian tummies (or others for that matter).

Someone once told me they were good for removing arsenic from soil, but I think there may be better plants for that (let the plant grow, then pull them and disposed of them elsewhere).

About the boutique potatoes.....yeah, that fits into Aruka's (and my) own garden philosophy. I mean, sure, who doesn't want to show off a 1 kg russet baked to perfection on the grill that you grew yourself next to the Thai basil, but......would rather show off the Stupice with the Japanese spicy lettuce (sort of a taste cross between arugula and mustard greens) dressed with the Meyer lemon and sesame oil.

I keep thinking the same for the same reason {stupid fog that essentially halts everything till mid-September}..
My parents have one. Every year they grow abundant tomatoes, peppers, cukes, basil, et. They're also great for getting early starts going on heat mats. I just don't really want to look at a plastic hoop house so I've been holding out until I have the time and money to build a legit glass one. Or at least like wood and rigid polycarbonate.

Reactions: afoaf and Mr Doof

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
beautiful, Josh. something is getting my strawberries. normally it's slugs but this looks more like rats or maybe birds. i set some rat traps but no luck so far. if it's birds there's not much to be done except maybe put up some owl/hawk decoys, I guess.

Reactions: Joshua2415

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Thanks! Yeah, I found a few of slugs on a couple of the strawberries this morning. I need to deal with them. I always have a roll of this on hand to cover fruit trees when they're in season to keep the birds from getting to the fruit. It's kind of a pain in the @ss when you want to pick the fruit, but it is pretty effective with keeping the birds away.

Reactions: Aruka and Chocki

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
View attachment 156324

Stocked the Ball Cherries might bear fruit after all.
awesome - never even heard of a Ball Cherry. i looked it up - looks like a fig. think it would grow in Zone 8? would love to have cherries - any kind - but they don't grow easily here in coastal NC. have failed on several attempts.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
awesome - never even heard of a Ball Cherry. i looked it up - looks like a fig. think it would grow in Zone 8? would love to have cherries - any kind - but they don't grow easily here in coastal NC. have failed on several attempts.
No clue bro. I’m actually in a zone 4/5 pocket in the lower part of CO bc of the altitude. I’d recommend asking a local nursery??? I got the cherries and I forget which one of the apples from this rad place an hour away where they were the ones that produced the trees/weren’t just selling somebody else’s = the local gurus (High Plains Nursery) so if you could find something like that near you?

and tbh it didn’t look like much else got pollinated, but 3 cherries is better than none. Stupid birds will probably get them anyway lol

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
aye, try to find a local nursery that knows what kinds of fruit trees do well in your local area. we have a farm supply store like 15 miles away. family owned, 3 generations of badass women all working in there. they know which trees and other plants do well in our specific micro climate and have rarely steered me wrong.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
some fkn varmint was eating my tomato starters....didn't touch the tray of starters 10 yards away, only ate those freshly planted ones in the beds...didn't touch any other tomato plants right next to them

the marine layer has been a disaster this year...peppers are stalled, new tomatoes are lagging, getting a little fruit off last year's vines. the only thing liking it are the collards and kales

eating a lot of greens!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Been getting a handful or two of strawberries each morning. Owl decoy seems to be keeping birds at bay but after a recent rain the slugs are back in force. Always something. Lots of snow peas. Rapberries are about to go crazy. Most everything else doing well except the cukes/peppers and tomatoes. They are slow this year due to cooler weather. 20230621_094340.jpg