California, who are the lunatics in charge?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Nothing. You don’t know or can’t explain (probably both) what you have in your system. That’s ok.
What are you trying to prove?

That your system is superior?

That you know more about solar?

Or is it all just a gotcha?

You can have all of it, if it means so much to you. Somehow, I doubt that would make you less toxic.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You aren't worried about the elements, especially the salty moisture, fookin up your bike?
So far everything's holding up. Cables are stainless steel, everything else is aluminum and various alloys.
The only things that's showing signs of corrosion are cheaper bolts. On my second chain.

The frame is steel but it's doing good. When it rusts through, I'll just weld it together.

1662147151733.gif

(Bike lives below deck when Im under way)

Reactions: grapedrink

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
You tell 'em, engibeer.

Maybe post a picture of your food again. That'll really get him!
Just for you
BBE943DF-AC67-44E4-B43F-AF76CB31AD25.jpeg
Post a picture of yourself surfing! The two people that liked your comment have! What are you so afraid about?

• Love
Reactions: PRCD

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
What are you trying to prove?

That your system is superior?

That you know more about solar?

Or is it all just a gotcha?

You can have all of it, if it means so much to you. Somehow, I doubt that would make you less toxic.
None of the above. I’m interested because my kids have a 30’ sailboat. If you don’t know what you have it’s ok.

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
None of the above. I’m interested because my kids have a 30’ sailboat. If you don’t know what you have it’s ok.
~ 3000Wh on the lithium battery bank.
Not sure how much on the AG batteries, I inherited them with the boat and didn't touch them.

Your kids should know all about it if they own a boat. Kinda have to.

The propulsion is freeeeeee

1662148824735.png

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
~ 3000Wh on the lithium battery bank.
Not sure how much on the AG batteries, I inherited them with the boat and didn't touch them.

Your kids should know all about it if they own a boat. Kinda have to.

The propulsion is freeeeeee

View attachment 137179
Watts divided by volts = amps.

My daughter knows about home installation on the design side. She doesn’t have practical hands on installation experience, although I’ve brought it up with her. Repeatedly. She picked up the sailing part fast and ditched the engineering education, which thrilled her mother to no end.

Different animal. It’s always good to see what others are doing. Your lithium batteries would have to be imported for here. Multiply cost times 2.

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Watts divided by volts = amps.

My daughter knows about home installation on the design side. She doesn’t have practical hands on installation experience, although I’ve brought it up with her. Repeatedly. She picked up the sailing part fast and ditched the engineering education, which thrilled her mother to no end.

Different animal. It’s always good to see what others are doing. Your lithium batteries would have to be imported for here. Multiply cost times 2.
I support her choice!
Hope she sails far.

As the things start breaking down on the boat, you learn quick like.
It's been pretty much a crash course on everything for me since April.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I support her choice!
Hope she sails far.

As the things start breaking down on the boat, you learn quick like.
It's been pretty much a crash course on everything for me since April.
A straight up legend took a weekend sailing class and sailed from Fort Lauderdale to Sydney, with a great many stops along the way.

I asked him about sailing for surf. He said - anchoring behind the reef at Tavarua aside - if you want to sail and work on a sailboat and occasionally surf, get a sailboat to go surfing. But if you want to surf, fly to Java/Sumatra and stay until your boards/bones/white blood cells/money surrender.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
A straight up legend took a weekend sailing class and sailed from Fort Lauderdale to Sydney, with a great many stops along the way.

I asked him about sailing for surf. He said - anchoring behind the reef at Tavarua aside - if you want to sail and work on a sailboat and occasionally surf, get a sailboat to go surfing. But if you want to surf, fly to Java/Sumatra and stay until your boards/bones/white blood cells/money surrender.
To me, all the stuff on the boat is a puzzle that I enjoy figuring out.
You need to be a special kind of idiot, who enjoys learning and solving problems and pouring money into making it as perfect as possible.

Everything else is a bonus.
Sailing is a form of meditation for me, when on the open ocean, time stretches out, you soon forget what day it is.

I would certainly not buy a sailboat to go surfing. There are very few anchorages near good surf, that you could feel safe enough to actually sleep or leave the boat unattended.
I just upgraded my anchor to a plus size Rocna so I can sleep better.

If you told me I'd be climbing a 50ft mast at almost 60yo, id tell you to eat a bag of dicks.
Don't like heights and never climbed anything bigger than a cherry tree. Yet I'm doing it and I love it.

1662151631644.jpeg

Reactions: npsp

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017

You could, technically, sail into Puerto. we used to dive down to a sailboat that was sunk in the bay there. I guess you could sail into Salina Cruz, also, in time for next season's swells

Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
You could, technically, sail into Puerto. we used to dive down to a sailboat that was sunk in the bay there. I guess you could sail into Salina Cruz, also, in time for next season's swells
Exactly, it's under water.

But yeah surf/sail destinations exist if you have a capable boat.

Ask JJF @5:10

Last edited: