California on lock down?

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
A Covid Rap...
God that's dumb.

I disagree with the curfew and new restrictions on outdoor dining. Not enough data to show that outdoor things are that much of a problem. This curfew will drive the kids indoors even more to party. Better to keep things as is, IMHO. Cases are going up in LA, like 4 times what they were a month ago, but outdoor dining has been around since what, July? Why are cases going up for the last 4 weeks if the cold weather only kicked in this week, really? It's probably cases from Halloween and Lakers and Dodgers parties is what is showing up now, not outdoor dining.

I hear from someone at Dominican in Santa Cruz that they are very frustrated with the situation there. The hospital is near capacity already.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ifallalot

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
God that's dumb.

I disagree with the curfew and new restrictions on outdoor dining. Not enough data to show that outdoor things are that much of a problem. This curfew will drive the kids indoors even more to party. Better to keep things as is, IMHO. Cases are going up in LA, like 4 times what they were a month ago, but outdoor dining has been around since what, July? Why are cases going up for the last 4 weeks if the cold weather only kicked in this week, really? It's probably cases from Halloween and Lakers and Dodgers parties is what is showing up now, not outdoor dining.

I hear from someone at Dominican in Santa Cruz that they are very frustrated with the situation there. The hospital is near capacity already.
Santa Barbara County is in the tier labeled “widespread infections”. Ponder that word, widespread, for a moment...

...ok now lets look at the numbers....

We have approx 300 active cases out of a county population of approx 450,000.

That calculates out to (rounding UP) 0.07% of the county’s population.

Not 7%, not 0.7%.

0.07% have tested positive.

”widespread”

mmmmmm......

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
The new restrictions are because cases are rising very quickly, in LA anyway, not because there are X cases total. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong because none of this is very clear anyway.

Says SB has a 4.5% positivity rate. LA's is 5.9%, it had been hovering around 4 since early September..

Reactions: plasticbertrand

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Adherence to arbitrary metric > spirit of the rule

Point was to keep hospitals from being overwhelmed, we have that down. Anyone saying "my niece works in an er and they are swamped!" Is next door to five places with empty rooms all around.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The new restrictions are because cases are rising very quickly, in LA anyway, not because there are X cases total. That's my understanding, but I could be wrong because none of this is very clear anyway.

Says SB has a 4.5% positivity rate. LA's is 5.9%, it had been hovering around 4 since early September..
Sigh....

The real number is that 0.07% of the county’s population has had a recent positive test.

That’s the number. That’s it.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Also consider that here we have been discouraging asymptomatic from getting tested so a considerable majority of those tested are feeling sick in some way and only 4.5% of them test positive for covid.

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
If you do try to mitigate a pandemic you should do it in such a way that you change nothing