California on lock down?

Bohter

Michael Peterson status
Mar 7, 2006
Yeah, I am convinced (I realize my opinion is worth nothing) that the spike we are seeing now has nothing to do with restaurants (which have been operating this way--outdoors only--since July) and everything to with: 1) Halloween parties, 2) Dodgers WS celebrations, 3) Lakers title celebrations, and 4) young people partying like it's 1999.
Got any official scientific studies that come to the same conclusion?
What convinced you?
Could flu season have anything to do with it?
Or....even increased testing counts?

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I find it interesting how a certain type automatically sees this as some govemerment power grab.

I guess you look for that pattern in every thing.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Yeah, I am convinced (I realize my opinion is worth nothing) that the spike we are seeing now has nothing to do with restaurants (which have been operating this way--outdoors only--since July) and everything to with: 1) Halloween parties, 2) Dodgers WS celebrations, 3) Lakers title celebrations, and 4) young people partying like it's 1999.
Got any official scientific studies that come to the same conclusion?
What convinced you?
Could flu season have anything to do with it?
Or....even increased testing counts?
Nope, completely anecdotal.

It's probably early for a scientific study on a case count spike that just began a week ago or so. The part in bold above is how I concluded this. Restaurants have been operating this way for months without issue. I even said I know my opinion has no value.

Flu is exceptionally low this year so far, AFAIK, and hardly existed in the Southern Hemisphere this season.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I find it interesting how a certain type automatically sees this as some govemerment power grab.

I guess you look for that pattern in every thing.
All of us are old enough to remember what happened after 911, and even those with a cursory understanding of history can see the pattern throughout the 20th Century

There's no type, there's actual data to see this is exactly what happens

How long have you been taking your shoes off at airports now?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
We never did get rid of the vast majority of the Patriot act.
IIRC congress finally decided not to renew it? Or as you said, maybe they just cherry picked to NOT renew a few pieces of it to make it look like they were making a change for the good, when in reality it was just ketchup on a sh!t sandwich.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So taking your shoes off is what counts for authoritarian control and overreach?
That's my fault for wearing steel-toed sneakers back then - confused the hell out of TSA. Not that it takes much to confuse them.

I bet BillyOcean has good advice for proper foot attire for airline travel.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
The broader point is that once a certain freedom is taken away, or a certain level of control is taken by the government, it is often never given back. Just look at how long it took to get rid of the patriot act.
Yeah, I get that.

You can still have freedom now, but you have to give up some of the advantages of living in a crowded, modern tech society.

People always complain how Big Bro can track with your cell phone.

That is easy to get around. Just don't have a cell phone. A lot of the freedoms we give up come from taking comfort of living in a crowded, complex society. For that thing to work, you need some rules.

As far as the pandemic, some people don't even believe we are in the middle of crisis.

If you think that, anything that the govement does to try to mitigate it is going to be framed as Big Bro over-reach.

The pandemic is like a wild fire.

The people crying government over reach are like someone crying foul when the emergency services tells them to evacuate.

You have to find the balance between the needs of the society and the individual.

If you think the government is alway trying to take your rights away, you are going frame anything the goverment does as taking your rights away.

And some times you are going to be wrong.

Last edited:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
You can still have freedom now, but you have to give up some of the advantages of living in a crowded. modern tech society.

People always complain how Big Bro can track with your cell phone.

That is easy to get around. Just don't have a cell phone. A lot of the freedoms we give up come from taking comfort of living sin a crowded complex society. For that thing to work, you need some rules.
This right here. Very happy to have a normal flip phone again, just used for phone calls and texts. No apps. No email. No notifications. Probably has GPS built in so Big Bro probably knows where I am at. And from where I need to know where I am at or need to go, well, that's why I picked up a Thomas Guide. Did have to use the desktop computer to order so mild irony at work there.

Simpler is better. A lot better.

Plus, I have a theory that smartphones only make people more stupid, useless, and helpless. That network crashes and it will be like the East Germans faced with the overwhelming horror of freedom when the Berlin Wall came down.

People blame government for controlling their lives? It's their phones doing the controlling. Social Dilemma was a great documentary btw.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Plus, I have a theory that smartphones only make people more stupid, useless, and helpless. That network crashes and it will be like the East Germans faced with the overwhelming horror of freedom when the Berlin Wall came down.

People blame government for controlling their lives? It's their phones doing the controlling. Social Dilemma was a great documentary btw.
Tech always makes you weaker, but sometimes the resource sparing effect you get is worth it.

Your nervous system wants to save energy because it's great way to be safe.

But it's fallible.

It can save too much energy and you maladapt; think "fat and stupid."

Cold adaption has so many health benefits but, no, we invented clothes and houses and heaters.

That is one of the good things about surfing.

I was out Friday and with the wind blowing in a 3/2, I was getting some serious cold exposure.

I can't manually tune a guitar for sh!t now. I need my tuner. Thanks tech.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
It's their phones doing the controlling. Social Dilemma was a great documentary btw.
Agreed. I have a smart phone but I need it for work, really. Texting will take too long on a flip that doesn't have a full keyboard.

Unfortunately too many of my customers are more responsive by IG DM than text, and forget about them actually checking email. I stopped using IG for personal stuff in June, no posts, just lurk on my buyers and communicate with them through it. "Like" some posts and get more orders. The egos on these kids.

And I place orders for customers on my phone every day because it's a web-based ordering system. Can't do that on a flip.

All that said, if I didn't need it for work, I would go back to a flip.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Agreed. I have a smart phone but I need it for work, really. Texting will take too long on a flip that doesn't have a full keyboard.

Unfortunately too many of my customers are more responsive by IG DM than text, and forget about them actually checking email. I stopped using IG for personal stuff in June, no posts, just lurk on my buyers and communicate with them through it. "Like" some posts and get more orders. The egos on these kids.

And I place orders for customers on my phone every day because it's a web-based ordering system. Can't do that on a flip.

All that said, if I didn't need it for work, I would go back to a flip.
Work is the curse that way. Texting is a PITA but it forces you to pick up the phone and call, which is not a horrible thing.

Unless you are on the road, that is the nice thing about a desktop. Get what you need to get done during work hours and once you are off the clock, you are off the clock.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Just ran out to pick up some food for lunch and lo and behold people are sitting outside of a pizza place eating pizza!image.jpg