Cali Lunch Brah

WindowLicker

Nep status
Aug 4, 2021
Of course, but you said best in the world, not best in "Cali".

You are getting slightly better than the last with this photo, but basically looks like a minimal upgrade from Jersey Mikes :roflmao:
im so glad you have the ability to taste food through a computer screen. :trout:

corndog

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2004
Moved to Carlsbad 20 years ago, just miss Crab Cooker and Blue Water Grill. Got lucky when blue water opened down here, but after covid .... prices are like bat sh!t crazy. lucky to do a drive by last week to crab cooker for the smoked albacore, roll and chowder.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Probably a cultural thing. California is more "cuisine" and health focused, hence why it's easy to find good salads, sushi, farm-to-table, vegetarian, etc. East coast and midwest is more takeout focused, therefore better sandwiches, pizzas, wings, etc. Not hard to do well when the handful of competitors in your area are also crap. The only takeout that is consistently better in California is Mexican.

Could also be water quality. Dough is roughly 1/3 water. Most California water is awful quality with high pH and carbonates. Crap water makes crap dough. A sandwich or pizza is only as good as the bread or dough it's cooked with, and I will die on that hill.
100% right on the dough - the vast majority of the time that's the issue.

However I don't think it's not doable even with the water here - there are places with decent crust in CA but it seems the majority of restaurants can't figure it out.

Reactions: grapedrink

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Probably a cultural thing. California is more "cuisine" and health focused, hence why it's easy to find good salads, sushi, farm-to-table, vegetarian, etc. East coast and midwest is more takeout focused, therefore better sandwiches, pizzas, wings, etc. Not hard to do well when the handful of competitors in your area are also crap. The only takeout that is consistently better in California is Mexican.

Could also be water quality. Dough is roughly 1/3 water. Most California water is awful quality with high pH and carbonates. Crap water makes crap dough. A sandwich or pizza is only as good as the bread or dough it's cooked with, and I will die on that hill.
This is very true I think. New York in general, whether well water from one of long islands many glacially created aquifers, or city water pumped down from Croton, is among the best in the world. And the pizza and bagels reflect that. There are a jillion bagel shops in Florida that just get New York tap water trucked down once a week or so, and their bagels are just like the best bagel joints here in bagel country itself. I’ve tried at least a few and I think it’s legit, not just placebic

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
This is very true I think. New York in general, whether well water from one of long islands many glacially created aquifers, or city water pumped down from Croton, is among the best in the world. And the pizza and bagels reflect that. There are a jillion bagel shops in Florida that just get New York tap water trucked down once a week or so, and their bagels are just like the best bagel joints here in bagel country itself. I’ve tried at least a few and I think it’s legit, not just placebic
Been to a couple spots in California that had the water flown in to make their dough.

HarryLopez2

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 11, 2020
Not yet. I guess I should clarify that I'm not guzzling the water, but it quenches the thirst when hiking or kayaking. And it's great for crystal clear cold plunges.

Firebird

Gerry Lopez status
Jun 5, 2010
OC
Moved to Carlsbad 20 years ago, just miss Crab Cooker and Blue Water Grill. Got lucky when blue water opened down here, but after covid .... prices are like bat sh!t crazy. lucky to do a drive by last week to crab cooker for the smoked albacore, roll and chowder.
They had to remodel Crab Cooker. The foundation was damaged by nearby construction. Took more than two years. It looks the same inside, but different. Cant put it into words.
The good news is that the menu and recipe is exactly the same. Still bomb.
There is a place in north SD county that's just like Crab Cooker. Red Building and everything. It's right off the 5. Can't remember the name. Fish House or something like that. I was told that the owner was a guy who had worked at Crab Cooker back in the day used it as the template for this place. Ate there once on the way home from Baja and was very impressed.

Reactions: keenfish