Cali Lunch Brah

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
The F.D.A. has put carbon-monoxide-treated tuna on its list of substances generally regarded as safe. ... Any tuna that is hot pink has probably been treated with carbon monoxide. Tuna that is bright red may be extremely fresh, and therefore very expensive, or may have been treated with the gas.
:loser:

#1 grade ahi ain't cheap in the states. $40/lb retail.

Screen Shot 2021-11-04 at 4.58.03 PM.png

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

WindowLicker

Nep status
Aug 4, 2021

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
i think it was $12 but I spend typically $20 on lunch everywhere I go. Cali isn’t cheap brah.

Arc in Newport. I think this was $31 not including tip.
View attachment 118793
looks pretty awesome but these days, i look at that and see 1500 calories. of course, if you sweetened that tea with splenda, then it cancels out the burger, so it's all good :shaka:

• Haha
Reactions: LifeOnMars

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Haoles and their gross poke concoctions, amirtite
"Oneula" posted traditional poke recipe here with Kukui nuts, chili water, maui onion, ogo, and Alea red salt, maybe some other stuff (can't find the thread) and that you would get "slaps" for using shoyu.

Kukui nuts: 13.99 (now 17.99)
Salt: $16.70 (for salt!!!!)

It probably cost me well over $50 for the experience but I've still got most of that salt :p
I go haole concoction stylee and roast crushed California almonds now.

Reactions: tacos

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I haven’t tried it yet but I’m open to suggestions

bearflag is on the restaurant bucket list next
Bearflag is a scene so I rarely even try go there anymo brah. It's almost as bad as trying to get In-n-out on 19th. Forgetaboutit. But they have the best tuna poke around. Grouper sammich is so ono kine too brah.

Mo betta go across from Bearflag to the sister company Circle Hook in Lido Village. Straight up fresh fish plate with choice of Swordfish, BFT or Hali only $20 bucks bro. Best deal around. Call it in to go or eat it on the walk out front on the harbor looking across at Louie's on the Bay and Billy's. Can't go wrong either way.

Speaking of 19th Street best kine grind ono Carnitas is at El Toro Bravo on 19th Street in the mexi center next to Smart and Final. Tortilleria and everything fresh made daily. Cheap with all the fixin's including home made salsas and tortillas. :shaka: