CA gas prices

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
What would be a better/more palatable alternative to collect than tacking on another nickel and a half, or having a gas tax at all? I mean in reality-land where the voters said this money is getting raised, not in the anarcho-capitalist utopia of Galt's Gulch aka Somalia. GWS is right that the gas tax (like any consumption tax including the FAIR tax; prebate in all holes) is regressive and it seems like a less 'elective' thing to levy a tax on vs taxing tobacco or alcohol.

Gas taxes by state, but it's from February:

Says Pennsylvania is #1 overall ($0.587) on $2.48, California #2 ($0.555) on $3.29
uhh, we've gone up a bit more since earlier this year, with more increases to follow shortly.

These taxes also don't take into account California unique boutique blends of gasoline very few other states require. Driving the spikes we see every 6 months we change out back and forth. Artificial shortages are created and market driven prices go off the charts those 1-2 months of conversion every year. We pay over $4.00 a gallon, while most of the rest of the country pays $2.00-$2.50, all because of our self-imposed limitations and NO changes in actual oil prices.

But oh yeah, we're "saving the planet" from ourselves with our "sunshine tax".:cool:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Commercial vehicles exist in Europe even though gas is $10 a gallon,idiot.

Economy didn't collapse like ifailalot stupidly claimed.

If you are complaining about gas prices (I'm not) and drive a truck which has never seen dirt or carried anything heavier than a 12 pack of Coors, than buying a smaller more efficient vehicle would be stupid not to do.

Or if you're insisting on commuting 70 miles a day.
We've already gone over the distance issue.

Not to mention that everything is more expensive there.

1572316741229.png

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
uhh, we've gone up a bit more since earlier this year, with more increases to follow shortly.

These taxes also don't take into account California unique boutique blends of gasoline very few other states require. Driving the spikes we see every 6 months we change out back and forth. Artificial shortages are created and market driven prices go off the charts those 1-2 months of conversion every year. We pay over $4.00 a gallon, while most of the rest of the country pays $2.00-$2.50, all because of our self-imposed limitations and NO changes in actual oil prices.

But oh yeah, we're "saving the planet" from ourselves with our "sunshine tax".:cool:
I'll put you down for "doesn't like gas tax; but is fine with it since didn't suggest alternative method". Thank you for your response!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I'll put you down for "doesn't like gas tax; but is fine with it since didn't suggest alternative method". Thank you for your response!

You missed that part about the bonds and where the state government diverted road dollars and squandered them elsewhere, etc.

There was no need for a higher gas tax.

There was a need to use gas tax money for their stated purpose - roads.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
You missed that part about the bonds and where the state government diverted road dollars and squandered them elsewhere, etc.

There was no need for a higher gas tax.

There was a need to use gas tax money for their stated purpose - roads.
No I'm clear on that part it's just spilled milk. I'll put you down for gas tax with a side of milk off the floor.

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
When raising taxes you always get the same reasons, money is needed for teachers, police, fire, roads infrastructure...stupid voters fall for it everytime & politicians know it.
Money always ends going elsewhere

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
No, it's a real question.
no it's not. ifall is a troll account.

You profess to be the workin man's amigo!
I wonder if the working man voted for the CA tax increase, too?

And yet you and your comrades want $10/gallon gas.
I have not, but I'll indulge your reflexive need to argue strictly across
imaginary ilk-lines...

If you weren't professing to be the defender of the little guy it would be white knighting...but not the case here.
"professing" lol

you're white knighting for a white knight!

s'cute....

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I ride my bike for erranding when possible, would love to have public
transport options, and drive an old vehicle infrequently and primarily
for schlepping kids for school and sports ball. I think that taxes in
CA are generally excessive, the state government inept, and the rent
too damn high.

Reactions: Ifallalot and jomo