CA gas prices

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I am pessimistic that the CA will ever get it's sh!t together when it comes to effective transit systems. Look at the royal shitshow the central valley high-speed train has become. It's getting almost impossible to add freeway capacity. Subway construction costs are $900M per mile. Surface trains run on tracks owned by Southern Pacific, who makes money moving frieght, not people, so commuter rail is almost unworkable. Even if there was effective rail lines, there are no transit systems to take people from transit stations to their final destinations.

Surfdog

Duke status
Apr 22, 2001
South coast OR
I'll put you down for "doesn't like gas tax; but is fine with it since didn't suggest alternative method". Thank you for your response!
Why do other states get by just fine and dandy without such a high tax on petrol?

If the excess tax went towards actually improving roads/freeways in a more timely manner, I could MAYBE see it. But we've been getting propositions that claim road/infrastructure relief from each new increase in taxes for over 30 years, and little to show for it. Improvement come so late, after decades waiting, they're basically barely keeping traffic at status quo. Most areas are much worse in improving economies.

Calif Dem controlled legislature thinks/vote no tax is ever enough or too much. Why are middle income people/families leaving more than coming in now? We are down to new arrivals from the wealthy (for our glorious weather) and the low wage immigrants that support them on the cheap, that they shamelessly love to take advantage of.

Calif is pricing itself out of reach for most middle income folks looking to better their chances here. Only niche professionals or tech/trade skills can make it in the nicer areas of CA, unless you work for yourself and/or telecommute. So many commute long distances just to live in halfway decent inland areas it's insane now. Every time I drive up I-15, open inland areas once considered way the hell out there, are filling in with tract homes, because you can but a new one for under $300-$400k or so. That's "affordable" here in So Cal.

Double the price of gas with taxes and such as some here claim is a noble goal for the sake of the planet, would basically do what the big jump in gas prices did from 2003 to 2008, when they more than doubled.

It basically helped start the housing bust in 2007/2008 when people started walking away from homes bought dozens of miles from work places, due to paying $100's more a month on gasoline. People of decent means could handle that, but most on very limited and squeezed budgets couldn't and just said "F-it" and walked away from homes that were worth less than what they bought them for. Yes, there were other problems that inflamed that housing disaster, but the big jump in gas prices that NEVER went back down was basically the spark like a ember on a Santa Ana day.

Some here would like to see that again, it seems?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Why do other states get by just fine and dandy without such a high tax on petrol?
Well Pennsylvania doesn't as theirs is about as high as yours. I would hazard a guess that maybe other states don't have issues raising money with things like property tax? Also I can't tell you the last time an earthquake or a mudslide or a flash flood did anything to a road in many, many places.

So since the voters appear to have approved of raising the revenue; if the gas tax isn't the way to raise that money, what is?

laidback

Tom Curren status
Feb 9, 2007
NOC
So since the voters appear to have approved of raising the revenue; if the gas tax isn't the way to raise that money, what is?
Voters are sheep
Their voting is based off fear tactics & lies. The wolves in Sacramento get the taxes increased anyway they can, then funnel the money off to whatever agenda they see fit

There is no need to raise more money, we have plenty...just stop wasting it on stupid sh!t

Reactions: Ifallalot and afoaf

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
Well, if gas needs to go to 10 dollars a gallon "for the environment" what should plane tickets be priced at?

A single individual taking a single long-haul flight spews as much trash into the air as most people are responsible for in a year.

So, plane tickets should start at what, 30 grand? Or is that too cheap? 60 grand. That seems fair. Although still, considering the proportionate environmental damage done, that's probably about half of what it should be. So 100 grand? One way. Per seat. Fair is fair.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Voters are sheep
Their voting is based off fear tactics & lies. The wolves in Sacramento get the taxes increased anyway they can, then funnel the money off to whatever agenda they see fit

There is no need to raise more money, we have plenty...just stop wasting it on stupid sh!t
to this end, I vote NO on all propositions by default

CA is retarded

Reactions: Ifallalot
Oct 5, 2019
I ride my bike for erranding when possible, would love to have public
transport options, and drive an old vehicle infrequently and primarily
for schlepping kids for school and sports ball. I think that taxes in
CA are generally excessive, the state government inept, and the rent
too damn high.
Good on ya'. When visiting CA that 8% surprises me every time. Nobody likes to be taxed. No doubt there's waste and inefficiency in State Government. But I observe so many cases of the population creating the extra need for the State to act or provide services (which takes money) I wonder how much thought they've put into the connection between revenue and expense.
There's personal responsibility to consider, particularly regarding a gas tax.
Avoid driving and you won't be purchasing as much gas. Drive a fuel efficient vehicle and you won't be paying that tax on as many gallons. Don't drive like an idiot and you'll get better mileage even if your vehicle isn't the most fuel efficient.
Follow those steps and you could cut your gas tax expenses in half.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Good on ya'. When visiting CA that 8% surprises me every time. Nobody likes to be taxed. No doubt there's waste and inefficiency in State Government. But I observe so many cases of the population creating the extra need for the State to act or provide services (which takes money) I wonder how much thought they've put into the connection between revenue and expense.
There's personal responsibility to consider, particularly regarding a gas tax.
Avoid driving and you won't be purchasing as much gas. Drive a fuel efficient vehicle and you won't be paying that tax on as many gallons. Don't drive like an idiot and you'll get better mileage even if your vehicle isn't the most fuel efficient.
Follow those steps and you could cut your gas tax expenses in half.
Ask him how many air miles his immediate family has traveled this year.

Avoid driving and you won’t be purchasing as much gas. Did you come up with that on your own?