Bill Maher lays it down on Joe Rogan

GDaddy

Duke status
Jan 17, 2006
Carlsbad
You didn't say it was a deal killer but you are clearly among those who want him to stop - primarily because you want to limit what his listeners can hear and consider.

It's his listeners that you want to step on, much moreso than him. You don't want them to hear that content because, as far as you're concerned, when it comes to what material they should be allowed to hear and consider

IT'S. NOT. UP. TO. THEM.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Yes it was a standard homophobic schoolyard jab.

Why are you afraid to spell it out?
Spell what out? I agree it was homophobic, and I have in other conversations we've had about this exact issue. The part you are ignoring is that were not Rogan's words. Rogan just disagreed with You Tube's reaction to it.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
You didn't say it was a deal killer but you are clearly among those who want him to stop - primarily because you want to limit what his listeners can hear and consider.
What a load of bullshit.

Just because you criticize somebody, you want them to "stop"?

By that dummy logic, you want 50% to stop exercising their right to free speech.

As for naturalized citizens, they have no right to free speech at all, according to you.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Spell what out? I agree it was homophobic, and I have in other conversations we've had about this exact issue. The part you are ignoring is that were not Rogan's words. Rogan just disagreed with You Tube's reaction to it.
You trivialized it by calling it a "schoolyard insult".

Rogan didn't say it but he endorsed it.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
huh? the stuff he wrote is pretty standard and accepted stuff in the fields in question

that sort of culture has a dramatic chilling effect and is fairly well distributed in the SF tech world from what I've seen
I was more referring to actually giving your $.02 at work at MassiveCorp. Putting some leaves over a bear trap and writing safe space on it? I'd probably ask for a whiteboard or since there is usually already one I ask for some new dry-erase markers. Even an opportune time to say thank you for the wireless keyboard replacement.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I was more referring to actually giving your $.02 at work at MassiveCorp. Putting some leaves over a bear trap and writing safe space on it? I'd probably ask for a whiteboard or since there is usually already one I ask for some new dry-erase markers. Even an opportune time to say thank you for the wireless keyboard replacement.
Rule 1:

Never volunteer!

Reactions: grapedrink

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I don't think it would have boded well to call your own guest a lispy queer.
Finally we are getting somewhere.

Of course it doesn't bode well to call someone that.

Like it doesn't bode well to screech at transgenders and tell them they shouldn't be accepted in any walk of life or fat shaming women.

Yet here you all are, doing it everyday, but only ONLINE.

Rogan didn't have a problem siding with Crowder and trivializing homophobia, when Crowder was in his man cave.

But then sounded all compassionate listening to Eddie Izzard about the abuse he went through as a gay man.

It's so hard to have a firm stance on something.

He also never called Carlos Maza or anyone else that.
Stop lying. Rogan thought it was funny and clearly agreed with Crowder that using homophobic slurs because you disagree with someone is okay and that it's not something you should get demonetized for by a company that's providing you with a platform to spread your hateful bullshit.

Last edited:

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
huh? the stuff he wrote is pretty standard and accepted stuff in the fields in question

that sort of culture has a dramatic chilling effect and is fairly well distributed in the SF tech world from what I've seen
Google fired Damore for violation of the company's code of conduct.

Damore filed a complaint with the NLRB but later withdrew this complaint.

A lawyer with the NLRB wrote that his firing was proper.

After withdrawing this complaint, Damore filed a class action lawsuit, alleging that Google was discriminating against conservatives, whites, Asians, and men.

Poor baby now wants a safe space LOL

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Finally we are getting somewhere.

Of course it doesn't bode well to call someone that.

Like it doesn't bode well to screech at transgenders and tell them they shouldn't be accepted in any walk of life or fat shaming women.

Yet here you all are, doing it everyday, but only ONLINE.

Rogan didn't have a problem siding with Crowder and trivializing homophobia, when Crowder was in his man cave.

But then sounded all compassionate listening to Eddie Izzard about the abuse he went through as a gay man.

It's so hard to have a firm stance on something.

Stop lying. Rogan thought it was funny and clearly agreed with Crowder that using homophobic slurs because you disagree with someone is okay and that it's not something you should get demonetized for by a company that's providing you with a platform to spread your hateful bullshit.
Carlos Meza called himself that.

You forget about the context, or conveniently leave it out.

Kinda like the grab em by the pussy thing

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Do you use the N word when talking to black people because they use it on themselves?
I would if I could.

I would use it the same way they did as taboo humor and play fighting. "Yo yo yo. Wuzup, my n-words!"

I don't agree that one group should be able to use and other can't.

The blacks should self regulate to set an example.

I know that won't happen.

I've said this before but to solve the race issues all parties have to eat some sh!t.

I think it would be a wise investment to manage the race issues in the US, which are really about poverty.

But whatever!

thanks

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
I would if I could.

I would use it the same way they did as taboo humor and play fighting. "Yo yo yo. Wuzup, my n-words!"

I don't agree that one group should be able to use and other can't.

The blacks should self regulate to set an example.

I know that won't happen.

I've said this before but to solve the race issues all parties have to eat some sh!t.

I think it would be a wise investment to manage the race issues in the US, which are really about poverty.

But whatever!

thanks
Minorities who generally suffered abuse tend to adopt these words to take the power away from the bullies.

Gay people do it, black people do it, just about every group who has been marginalized does it.

Understanding that is a key.

Taboo humor is great, I know I always bring Louis CK but he was the master of it. RIP

The ability to laugh at yourself is the key for a good taboo joke.

You have the skills to do it but ifailalot, Doug and Surfdog, or Crowder for that matter, who love to use these words, are neither comedians or capable of self-deprecating humor.

It's that pesky context thing again.

Thanks!

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Minorities who generally suffered abuse tend to adopt these words to take the power away from the bullies.

Gay people do it, black people do it, just about every group who has been marginalized does it.
I get why they are doing it.

And playing the game we play really doesn't inconvenience me or trigger me.

I just think it's the wrong move for them.

When they use it they are not sending the message of safety to the other team.

And that is going to be the only way we affect this problem.

We are seeing a massive over reaction by team whitey due to faulty neuroception.

P.S. It goes without saying whitey needs to do this too.

Reactions: FecalFace

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
fair point, swimming against the herd at MassiveCorp does carry significant risk, even if they pledge to do no evil

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Google fired Damore for violation of the company's code of conduct.

Damore filed a complaint with the NLRB but later withdrew this complaint.

A lawyer with the NLRB wrote that his firing was proper.

After withdrawing this complaint, Damore filed a class action lawsuit, alleging that Google was discriminating against conservatives, whites, Asians, and men.

Poor baby now wants a safe space LOL
I'd argue that GOOG fired Damore because they got cowed by their pitchfork wielding employees

Have you spent any time in the tech world up here?