Big Sur

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It's been a long time coming. Big Sur is out of control all spring, summer, and fall with way more people than it can handle. Every year it gets worse.

There have already been major changes to other areas of Sur over the last decade. I rarely drive past Willow anymore.

Took a friend in the Spring. There wasn't even parking at Partington Cove. We had to wait for someone to leave. Got to the bottom and it was a shitshow of no less than 30 people at the end of the trail. Groups of people climbing all over the rocks and digging out steps in the dirt with their feet as that part of the trail continues to deteriorate.
Kates blog said a rave held recently up on Prewitt ridge with over 100 people. And two people OD'd up there last weekend. That is freakin crazy.

• Sad
Reactions: r32

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Kates blog said a rave held recently up on Prewitt ridge with over 100 people. And two people OD'd up there last weekend. That is freakin crazy.
Well sucks. Big Sur turning into a bigger sh!t show than I ever imagined it could.

Do you remember the fire at Carpo back in the early 90s that burned the lone tree on the beach. That big beautiful tree was awesome. Bunch of 20-sometimes partying and tenting on the beach at night. They got drunk and lit a fire right under the tree and it got way to big. Firetrucks in middle of the night. Total shitshow.

After that night, they closed off all of the cliffs, took away parking, put up new fencing, redid the trail and took away all possible camp spots on the cliffs. For me that seemed like the beginning of big changes for the whole area. It's never been the same since.

Reactions: Leaverite

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
It was nuts down there this weekend. Never seen so many people in the water at Willow and Sand Dollar. The amount of cars parked along the side of Hwy 1 at all the known spots was sickening.

• Dislike
Reactions: rice and Leaverite

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Well sucks. Big Sur turning into a bigger sh!t show than I ever imagined it could.

Do you remember the fire at Carpo back in the early 90s that burned the lone tree on the beach. That big beautiful tree was awesome. Bunch of 20-sometimes partying and tenting on the beach at night. They got drunk and lit a fire right under the tree and it got way to big. Firetrucks in middle of the night. Total shitshow.

After that night, they closed off all of the cliffs, took away parking, put up new fencing, redid the trail and took away all possible camp spots on the cliffs. For me that seemed like the beginning of big changes for the whole area. It's never been the same since.
I don't remember the fire but remember you used to be able to park in that turnoff on the south bluff off of the highway and walk out through the trees to access the south end of the beach. That's long gone. Back in the 80's there used to be a little
road on the south side of Willow Creek Cove that accessed a couple of camp spots right on the bluff. The outer one was right at the point going out to Cape San Martin rock. My brother and I camped there a couple of times. All blocked off and overgrown now.

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Apparently the OD's happened up Plaskett Creek road. A CAlSTAR helicopter was called in to evac. It took 15+ minutes to clear out 20 vehicles at the site in order for the helicopter to make a landing.

The straw that broke the camel's back.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
It was nuts down there this weekend. Never seen so many people in the water at Willow and Sand Dollar. The amount of cars parked along the side of Hwy 1 at all the known spots was sickening.
All's its gonna take is a GWS attack, which is inevitable, especially late summer, and people will bail.
That and the time change after November with winter usually makes people retreat too.
Been trying to get a site at Plaskett for months now and nothin'. Don't even want to go up hearing of all this crap going on.
Had Lots of fun in the 90's all over but hard to take my family back when it's a shitshow like this. Over it.

Reactions: Chocki and jkb

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I don't remember the fire but remember you used to be able to park in that turnoff on the south bluff off of the highway and walk out through the trees to access the south end of the beach. That's long gone. Back in the 80's there used to be a little
road on the south side of Willow Creek Cove that accessed a couple of camp spots right on the bluff. The outer one was right at the point going out to Cape San Martin rock. My brother and I camped there a couple of times. All blocked off and overgrown now.
Yes, that ended with that fire. From the river south, that's all Hearst property. The river marks the northern boundary. They had traditionally left the south trail open although it was constantly overgrown with poison oak. But the trees were epic to camp under, directly above the beach with the sound of the waves all night and fun surf in the morning. Unfortunately the homeless people and party goers ruined that too, leaving toilet paper and junk all over. It was filthy and disgusting. The trail down to the beach from there was also destroyed by storms so not able to walk up or down that cliff any more. But now it's all fenced off so the only place you can park is at the bottom of the hill next to the bridge.

How about the north Molera trail that goes by the cabin? Sucks they closed that too. Now everyone has to park in the dirt parking lot and pay the fee. Last time I went, parking lot was packed, so I went somewhere else.

Area between Big Sur and Cambria, has changed immensely over the years and it will never be the same. I'm over it as well. Only time without big crowds is Dec/Jan

Last edited:

Leaverite

Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Yes, that ended with that fire. From the river south, that's all Hearst property. The river marks the northern boundary. They had traditionally left the south trail open although it was constantly overgrown with poison oak. But the trees were epic to camp under, directly above the beach with the sound of the waves all night and fun surf in the morning. Unfortunately the homeless people and party goers ruined that too, leaving toilet paper and junk all over. It was filthy and disgusting. The trail down to the beach from there was also destroyed by storms so not able to walk up or down that cliff any more. But now it's all fenced off so the only place you can park is at the bottom of the hill next to the bridge.

How about the north Molera trail that goes by the cabin? Sucks they closed that too. Now everyone has to park in the dirt parking lot and pay the fee. Last time I went, bfro.
You are a kindred soul.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017

How about the north Molera trail that goes by the cabin? Sucks they closed that too. Now everyone has to park in the dirt parking lot and pay the fee. Last time I went, parking lot was packed, so I went somewhere else.

Area between Big Sur and Cambria, has changed immensely over the years and it will never be the same. I'm over it as well. Only time without big crowds in middle of winter.
where'd all the cambria san simeon core dudes go? all the chantrelle pickers, pot growers, live fishing from kayakers/aluminum boats, really really good surfers, etc. back in the 90's-early 20's they seemed to hold those places down....I guess they've moved on as well?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
where'd all the cambria san simeon core dudes go? all the chantrelle pickers, pot growers, live fishing from kayakers/aluminum boats, really really good surfers, etc. back in the 90's-early 20's they seemed to hold those places down....I guess they've moved on as well?
Some moved to the mountains for snowboard lifestyle. Others moved to Oregon, some gave up surfing, etc. Great place to live for a little while. But after some time, it gets boring. Not many trails because Hearst Castle and surrounding property takes up 83,000 acres, onshore wind for large part of the year, super fickle waves, mold problem on many of the older homes from dampness, etc. Same thing with other spots on CC though.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Some moved to the mountains for snowboard lifestyle. Others moved to Oregon, some gave up surfing, etc. Great place to live for a little while. But after some time, it gets boring. Not many trails because Hearst Castle and surrounding property takes up 83,000 acres, onshore wind for large part of the year, super fickle waves, mold problem on many of the older homes from dampness, etc. Same thing with other spots on CC though.
Understandable. Start families. See the bigger picture. For all the times I spent on the cc I really only got excellent surf like 20 times, lol. Pretty good ratio but very calculated nonetheless.