Big Sur

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
sh!t. this is a really depressing thread.

even for someone who’ll probably never get up there...
:shark:
Come during the holidays in Dec or early Jan and you'll have a good time, as long as it's not pouring rain. In which case, the highway will be shut down for mudslide potential. Don't expect to surf though. Usually too big.

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
Come during the holidays in Dec or early Jan and you'll have a good time, as long as it's not pouring rain. In which case, the highway will be shut down for mudslide potential. Don't expect to surf though. Usually too big.
it’s too big for me in a lot of places! :waving:

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Used to be you could pull up at Willow in the fall. Mid week and be the only car in the parking lot. Surf for 3+ hours in glassy, insanely good waves. By yourself. Get out, change out of your wetuit, make a sandwich, have a coldy and be your only witness.

At least I have the memories.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Used to be you could pull up at Willow in the fall. Mid week and be the only car in the parking lot. Surf for 3+ hours in glassy, insanely good waves. By yourself. Get out, change out of your wetuit, make a sandwich, have a coldy and be your only witness.

At least I have the memories.
Do you recall the homeless guy up the creek that would come down and crush beer cans on his forehead in exchange for food handouts? Such a character.

Surfed their many times on work mornings with nobody around. Such a great spot to watch the waves come in while eating some PB&J after a glassy sesh. Best feeling ever. We probably crossed paths.

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
What's it like mid-week? I'm thinking of driving through there in 2 weeks with my lady coming from the East Bay to go home and grab a lunch somewhere in Big Sur and have a picnic and enjoy the view, before we get back to the OC madness. Should I be expecting traffic like those pics, or is it more mellow? I don't have much hope with school being back in session.

Any good spots for a lunch meal, and to support the local economy?

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
What's it like mid-week? I'm thinking of driving through there in 2 weeks with my lady coming from the East Bay to go home and grab a lunch somewhere in Big Sur and have a picnic and enjoy the view, before we get back to the OC madness. Should I be expecting traffic like those pics, or is it more mellow? I don't have much hope with school being back in session.

Any good spots for a lunch meal, and to support the local economy?
Nice restaurant, try Nepenthe.

Smaller try Big Sur Taphouse or Big Sur Roadhouse.

If you like to read, stop off Henry Miller Library.

Expensive art, try Hawthorne gallery.

Mid day will be crowded but better than weekends for sure. Mon-Wed tend to be best. Thur-Sun usual shitshow.

Last edited:
Reactions: scdad

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Do you recall the homeless guy up the creek that would come down and crush beer cans on his forehead in exchange for food handouts? Such a character.

Surfed their many times on work mornings with nobody around. Such a great spot to watch the waves come in while eating some PB&J after a glassy sesh. Best feeling ever. We probably crossed paths.
So many of them.. Bro Fro. Brother Frog. One of the original Greatful Dead Merry Pranksters. He used to walk through the parking lot and sell custom hand painted t shirts. Water colors. One wash and it was Pau. Willow is like a magnet. You pull up there and watch it, you surf, you get out and hang out the rest of the day just watching the waves/sky/coastline. Ever changing.

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
I went down a few weeks ago and camped out at Prewitt one night. Never seen it so packed. Camped at Plaskett a couple nights and surfed Sand Dollar. Never seen it so crowded there either. Summer weekends suck! I did find some space on some off-the-radar hikes which was nice. Plus seeing the comet was awesome.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I know a guy who was making a killing hauling away largish greenhouse farm operation equipment after the farm got raided by feds. Something like having the crew and means to haul it all away (greenhouse framing, fans, lighting etc) before the property was seized and then flipping it. He paid the farm pennies on the dollar for what they were going to lose because they couldn't do it themselves, then sell it for uber cheap to another operation but the margins were yuge. Like 50k+ per job to his own pocket for couple days work after paying his crew. He was a weed guy for a long time and well networked to get the 1st phone call whenever people got raided.
I'd be too scared to be in that business...

Two weed growers are talking, one says to the other," have you noticed that everybody who buys fans and lights from Bob gets busted? You don't think Bob is tipping off the cops to keep his recycling business going".

Never try to make money off a criminals misery.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
All's its gonna take is a GWS attack, which is inevitable, especially late summer, and people will bail.
That and the time change after November with winter usually makes people retreat too.
Been trying to get a site at Plaskett for months now and nothin'. Don't even want to go up hearing of all this crap going on.
Had Lots of fun in the 90's all over but hard to take my family back when it's a shitshow like this. Over it.
I have one for a week in October sometime. If they don't have a covid vaccine by then, I doubt I'm going. Duffy already asked , but maybe u two can share it.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I'd be too scared to be in that business...

Two weed growers are talking, one says to the other," have you noticed that everybody who buys fans and lights from Bob gets busted? You don't think Bob is tipping off the cops to keep his recycling business going".

Never try to make money off a criminals misery.
He was breaking down and hauling out equipment from operations that already got busted, and selling them to people who didn't, (heck, maybe even to people who weren't necessarily growing pot, just selling to anyone who needed it). Most of those people were probably (likely) legal at the state level but the feds as far as I know can raid whoever they want. I'd guess that if you have multiple weed growing greenhouses on acres of property in Carp/Valley/Santa Maria where it's exposed, you've permitted everything with the state/county but on the fed radar early in the game. That was also about 3 yrs ago. I don't hear about many people getting raided lately.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
A buddy works at treebones. Chef. Super killer food really nice view. A bit pricey but it’s super quiet. Worth the price to get away from the crowds for a bite to eat though. I can’t believe those pictures! Other than the seal factory crowds, which I expe

Reactions: jkb and scdad

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
A buddy works at treebones. Chef. Super killer food really nice view. A bit pricey but it’s super quiet. Worth the price to get away from the crowds for a bite to eat though. I can’t believe those pictures! Other than the seal factory crowds, which I expe
Is he a bodyboarder from Newport by any chance?

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Damn! That crowd is about as bad as Yosemite valley at peak season.

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Someone mentioned the 70's? That's when me and my buddy's started going there a lot after I got my first '66 VW camper van.
Willow Creek and Jade Bob, don't know if any of you know but he had a place up in the forest above WC that looked like something straight out of the Hobbit, we used to go up and burn a few with him.
Used to pull over on the hwy next to the creek in Big sur and put out the hibachi and BBQ steaks with no hassles from anybody.
Pitched many a tent at the Plaskett Creek parking lot free with no hassles.
That Molera trail? pretty cool except I've never seen so many ticks on my board sock, stopped using that.
Surf at Sand Dollar in the Fall on high pressures - offshore glass, maybe a couple of other locs would show up.
It was like that into the mid-late 80's then started noticing the change - too many people started loving it to death.
Wife and I were up there this last March, seemed pretty mellow, but know what it was going to be like in a month or so.
I know it's a cliche, but damn I'm glad I got when I did :)
BTW, crowds at spots like those photos makes me want to cry too. :(

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Going there in October for the 1st time. Heard really good things for years, but just haven't made it there yet.