Biden is about to commit an impeachable offense

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Can you please explain the word "forgiving" in this context. Doesn't seem anything is being forgiven.......just that the balance is being transferred to people who didn't spend the money or benefit from the original expenditure.
Forgiving means it's no longer revenue the Federal government will receive back in the future.

Do you think that you will now be paying the forgiven debt? Will your taxes change because of this?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Where else would the forgiven money go except becoming part of the debt your taxes pay for rather than paid for by the person who borrowed it? There are jobs everywhere and the state and fed keep giving away free money like it's Halloween candy. Stupid.
You'd have a point if your taxes were going up because of this. They're not.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
I could be wildly misunderstanding this but isn't this pretty much just a renegotiation of loan terms but on a nationwide scale? Loan renegotiations happen all the time.

You know who always seems to win? The banks and the Congressmen who are in their pockets.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
The only real problem with this is the income limit

Any time the government gives money back that it stole through taxes the populace is winning

Granted, we could just cut out the middleman but here we are
I think the idea is right and something needs to be done but at best this is only a step in the right direction. Kinda like Obamacare was.

As far as I know it does nothing to address why student loans are a problem and/or protect future generations from getting caught in the same predatory trap.

We need to keep in mind that kids come out of grade school and unless they’re privileged are told that taking on these loans is completely normal and if they complete school they’ll have great paying jobs and pay them off in no time. Talk about “grooming” it’s literally what our society and education grooms kids to do. Going into massive debt to go to college isn’t frowned upon by our society and education system, it’s promoted and celebrated. It’s literally what kids are groomed to think that they’re supposed to do and thats a problem that needs to change. Taking out student loans should not be likened to an 18yr old running amok with their first credit card which is the way many opponents of student loan forgiveness come off.

As I’ve said here before, my gf has massive student loans. She’s never missed a payment and has done everything according to the schedule her loan officers have set out for her and she’s never paid a penny of the principal. She now earns a bit more than $125k annually so doesn’t qualify for this forgiveness unless we were to get married. But the taxes of the remainder of the loan and my tax hit if we were to file jointly would far outweigh the $10k she’d save. Even though it won’t help us, I still support it.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
Forgiving means it's no longer revenue the Federal government will receive back in the future.

Wrong. This is not the government's money. The money is loaned out by banks and savings institutions. There is no ability of the government to "forgive" anything.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Wrong. This is not the government's money. The money is loaned out by banks and savings institutions. There is no ability of the government to "forgive" anything.
except they just did. so how come you're not whining about the $400 billion in forgiven PPP loans?

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
Explains how you got your F in school.

Read, idiot. I paid for my education. Now I'm being forced to pay for your education while wrecking America's educational system.
you certainly got your money's worth :roflmao:

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
PPP loans

PPP loans were mandated constitutionally by congress, and so was the PPP loan forgiveness program.

https://www.masslive.com/politics/2020/08/ppp-loan-forgiveness-is-emerging-in-covid-stimulus-bill.html

In addition, getting a PPP loasn forgiven requires satisfying requirements:

https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/covid-19-relief-options/paycheck-protection-program/ppp-loan-forgiveness

Neither of these things is true of Biden's unilateral student loan "forgiveness" program.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I think the idea is right and something needs to be done but at best this is only a step in the right direction. Kinda like Obamacare was.

As far as I know it does nothing to address why student loans are a problem and/or protect future generations from getting caught in the same predatory trap.

We need to keep in mind that kids come out of grade school and unless they’re privileged are told that taking on these loans is completely normal and if they complete school they’ll have great paying jobs and pay them off in no time. Talk about “grooming” it’s literally what our society and education grooms kids to do. Going into massive debt to go to college isn’t frowned upon by our society and education system, it’s promoted and celebrated. It’s literally what kids are groomed to think that they’re supposed to do and thats a problem that needs to change. Taking out student loans should not be likened to an 18yr old running amok with their first credit card which is the way many opponents of student loan forgiveness come off.

As I’ve said here before, my gf has massive student loans. She’s never missed a payment and has done everything according to the schedule her loan officers have set out for her and she’s never paid a penny of the principal. She now earns a bit more than $125k annually so doesn’t qualify for this forgiveness unless we were to get married. But the taxes of the remainder of the loan and my tax hit if we were to file jointly would far outweigh the $10k she’d save. Even though it won’t help us, I still support it.
Absolutely

this does nothing to fix the system

Reactions: $kully

Mike_Jones

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2009
False. These are direct government loans.

Apparently you are correct. Some of these loans now come directly from the federal government. It changed from when I was involved. In these cases "forgiveness" would apply.

This doesn't change the fact that I paid for my education, but BidenThug will confiscate my money to pay for your education. Pay for your own education, and stop ruining our education system.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

sussle

Oct 11, 2009
PPP loans were mandated constitutionally by congress, and so was the PPP loan forgiveness program.

https://www.masslive.com/politics/2020/08/ppp-loan-forgiveness-is-emerging-in-covid-stimulus-bill.html

https://www.sba.gov/funding-programs/loans/covid-19-relief-options/paycheck-protection-program/ppp-loan-forgiveness

Neither of these things is true of Biden's unilateral student loan "forgiveness" program.
so what? a bunch of people got something for nothing - about one million loans went to companies with one employee (the owner). and the program was rife with abuse. a loan is a loan is a loan - and a forgiven loan is a giveaway. and let's face it, you are only complaining because Biden did it.

Reactions: grapedrink

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Apparently you are correct. Some of these loans now come directly from the federal government. It changed from when I was involved. In these cases "forgiveness" would apply.

This doesn't change the fact that I paid for my education, but BidenThug will confiscate my money to pay for your education. Pay for your own education, and stop ruining our education system.
Another person's loan forgiveness has no impact on you.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

Did you take out any PPPs? Getting them forgiven was a joke.

I sent my social # in, and wala - they were forgiven. no one asked what i spent the money - in fact I havent spent any of it yet.

I had two of them, legitimately that were probably a fraction of what most people got illegitimately and I bet the process for forgiveness was the same for each. it was a tremendously mishandled program.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
People get an education -> a job -> pay taxes -> net benefit for everyone except predatory lenders

Predatory loans -> net deficit for everyone except predatory lenders
I agree.

That's the real problem.

And the predatory lender for the overwhelming majority of student loans is the Federal Government/taxpayer.

And this giveaway will do NOTHING to solve that - it will only keep it going.

Why is the President not doing anything about it?

Universities with huge endowments are basically hedge funds. They ought to shoulder a big portion of this.
Why do you think the President isn't doing anything about that?

this - college has become a scam, college financing is a racket, and the idea that an 18 y/o should take on a 5-6 figure debt load at age 18 is ludicrous and should never have been normalized.
So why isn't the administration doing anything about it?

Simply forgiving some student loans doesn't even amount to a band-aid on the problem.

So what's the deal?