Best foil for you.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/spo/d/manhattan-beach-gofoil-dbl-surf-package/6915570429.html

Iwa and Kai. $1300.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Hdip said:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/spo/d/manhattan-beach-gofoil-dbl-surf-package/6915570429.html

Iwa and Kai. $1300.

I'm going to be selling my Kai/Iwa/Maliko 200, 24" mast, carbon plate adapter (adds 3" to mast), and Kai tail soon if anyone interested. The Iwa and M200 both have carbon winglets also that help stabalize through turbulence.

Ask about my erBB discount. Price gonna be a steal for someone wanting to get in on some used gear.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Hey Kaser, would you mind posting some pics of the winglet mods?

I'm about to grab GL 210 so imma refuckulate my current gear in the name of science and winglets sound good.

Also going to cut my Kai and stretch it out to Iwa size so it's a thinner, higher aspect version.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Clamsmasha said:
Hey Kaser, would you mind posting some pics of the winglet mods?

I'm about to grab GL 210 so imma refuckulate my current gear in the name of science and winglets sound good.

Also going to cut my Kai and stretch it out to Iwa size so it's a thinner, higher aspect version.

yea sure i'll get some pics. they look like mini nubsters on the wing tips.

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
3 pack wings- Kai, Iwa, Maliko200, 1 tail wing- Kai size, 24" mast- retail approx $2000
Carbon plate adapter- retail $175

I'll consider $1400.

Not that it'll add any value, but more of topic of conversation, all gear (except plate adapter) were original Dave Kalama gear.

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
does the kai tail have to go with the 3 pak?....if you wan to sell it separate ill buy it...i broke the T-tail that came with my GL210 and the Maliko200 tail is too big...😀

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
Steamroller said:
does the kai tail have to go with the 3 pak?....if you wan to sell it separate ill buy it...i broke the T-tail that came with my GL210 and the Maliko200 tail is too big...😀
Cut the Maliko and and sand it thinner...it goes waaayyyy better

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
Maine
Clamsmasha said:
Steamroller said:
Cut the Maliko and and sand it thinner...it goes waaayyyy better

Yea what Clamsmasha said. No tail wing trying to sell in a set is kinda a deal breaker sorry C.

My cut M200 tail is my daily driver, I highly recommend!

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY
Just looked at the rear stabilizer thread... Thanks guys that's the answer... New question is a kasar how many inches of each end did he take off 1 in ...2 in? I have no idea how big the original Kai Wing is

The new tail Wing t-tail that comes with a gl's is super good but super fragile you just touch it on the Rock in the sucker snaps dammit🤣

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
Hdip said:
Try this link steamroller.

https://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php/topic,34657.0.html
been playing with my gong rig in the garden trying to get the slop out of the setup and was thinking about the rear wing mods, that link is gold combined with clamsmasha's mod thread :cheers:

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
My Maliko is now the same span as the original Kai and my Kai is a fair bit smaller now.

I’ll post the numbers a bit later when I break free of domesticity.

They have made the biggest difference so far to top end speed and turning ability.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I passed this to Steamroller and Sozzle via insta, but here it is if anyone wants to indulge in some plastic surgery.

My Maliko is now 8.25” from the wing root to tip (trailing edge). I also shortened the chord by 3/4” inch or so. Now the same chord as the Kai. A bit thinner too with clean squared off edges.

My Kai is 7” span now and thinner with square edges. This teamed up with the Iwa is a real weapon....just much faster with a really nice turning action.

One way to look at stabs, is that they are basically parasitic. They do aid in control and stability but above the minimum size required it is like dragging a section of rebar throughout the water. Do you want to drag a 10” section or a 7” section around?

Cut stabs and a taller stiffer mast have improved my setup beyond measure.....can’t wait for the GL

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Anyone cut down a Naish stab that you've heard of? I feel like my OG 2017 rear stab was smaller than the warranty replacements they sent me which is a 2018. I lost the old one before the new one got here though so I couldn't compare them.

Mar 20, 2019
sozzle said:
Hdip said:

been playing with my gong rig in the garden trying to get the slop out of the setup and was thinking about the rear wing mods, that link is gold combined with clamsmasha's mod thread :cheers:
Post your results with the gong stab. I've been using the 40cm gong kite stab, and enjoying it. But am contemplating making the surf stab smaller. I wish the kite stab wasn't perfectly flat and had a little curve to it like the surf stab.

sozzle

Michael Peterson status
Feb 23, 2009
bigmtnbill said:
sozzle said:
Hdip said:

Post your results with the gong stab. I've been using the 40cm gong kite stab, and enjoying it. But am contemplating making the surf stab smaller. I wish the kite stab wasn't perfectly flat and had a little curve to it like the surf stab.

will do, got a few really good days foiling coming up so hoping to see a difference from some of the sessions from last week.

the stab is 38cm across now with squared off ends ala clamsmasha, have left the chord length and foil standard for the moment.

the kite stab is 270cm2 compared to the surf stab at 400cm2, i've only taken off 30cm2 ish so still pretty big area left, probably should've skimmed the back off the chord length too looking back.

do you think the kite stab is big enough? just too flat?