Best foil for you.

Apr 4, 2020
I've been foiling for just over 6 months. My main wing since Feb has been the Takuma Kujira 980. About 3 weeks ago, I got the Kujira 1210. Since then, I've been switching off between the 980 and 1210.

I bought the 1210 because I had only gotten one double dip with the 980. I wanted to see if the 1210 could up my pump game.
I wear a Garmin Fenix watch to track my waves. With the 980, after kicking out, my longest pump out the back was 69 yards. With the 1210 my longest pump out the back was 80 yards.

At first, I was highly disappointed that I didn't immediately double my pump distance. But then, I was noticing with the 1210, my "long" pumps were happening more consistently and if I kicked out without much speed, it was much easier to pump up to speed. I then got a session with the 1210 where I got 2x double dips in one session.

With regards to turning, the two wings feel about the same to me. However, I'm only doing big cutbacks. Once I start doing wraparound cutbacks, I'll probably notice a difference.

The 980 will continue to be my main wing. It's easier to paddle when there is any backwash or chop. Takeoffs are much easier once it gets CH. I also just seem to fall less with the 980.

I'll ride the 1210 when it's WH and at least semi-clean conditions.

I ride both wings with 2x Takuma baseplate shims, neutral balance in the tracks.

Here's a Surfline rewind with me on the 1210.

Apr 4, 2020
oside looks like a great foil spot!
LOL! I live in Oside and less than 5% of my foil sessions were in Oside. Waves are usually too dumpy for foiling. The session in the video was my first successful foil session in Oside. I pretty much got skunked in the previous sessions.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
LOL! I live in Oside and less than 5% of my foil sessions were in Oside. Waves are usually too dumpy for foiling. The session in the video was my first successful foil session in Oside. I pretty much got skunked in the previous sessions.
I feel like a lot of California is liek that