Best foil for you.

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
1,575
284
83
SJC
Starting to see some MFC foils, been hearing about them for months but $1800 is way too steep.

Intrigued by the one piece carbon fiber mast/baseplate though.
 

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
3,048
527
113
Malibu, CA
Delta and Lift are similar I think with one or two piece construction and super light.
 

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
1,575
284
83
SJC
Last day out Jeff Clark was showcasing his new surf foil for F4, looked really good and he was saying the rear wing was designed specifically for smoother pumping. As an added bonus, maybe compatible with the Naish equipment.
 

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
6,999
795
113
What kinda setup would you guys suggest for someone looking to get into foiling? If you had to do it all over again, what equipment would you buy?

I'm 6'3'', 185 lbs, been surfing for 20+ years, but no foil experience. Would be foiling in HDip's zone(s) mostly (sorry :hat:)
 

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
3,048
527
113
Malibu, CA
Hah, no need to apologize. I'm 6'1" 185#. (down to 173# this summer when I was foiling 5 times a week)

I like my board from wcfc. I like the Naish foil to for that matter, but, if I were doing it again I'd go for the XL Naish wing. The Large is fine for our weight, but the larger wing will be much easier to pump. Everyone I'm seeing doing pumps back out for long distances are using the gofoil iwa which is a larger wing than the Naish Large according to that mackiteboarding chart. I did get some really long pumping runs today since it was half a foot and that's all I was working on. My legs are still wobbly.

Here's some good boards coming out of Hawaii.

https://www.instagram.com/freedomfoilboards/?hl=en

The nice thing about Naish is all the pieces are compatible. So you can buy a different wing and not have to buy a new setup. Gofoil you'd have to buy the whole setup with multiple wings at the same time or they will not fit right. Also, if you break something you can replace a part instead of the whole setup. That's what scares me about the all one or two piece carbon setups.

Hard to beat the price of the ride engine foil to learn on though. http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2018-ride-engine-futura-foil-set/

This has been on there for awhile and it is real tempting, but I'm not going to spend more money on this sport until I have to.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2018-delta-mega-surf-foil-set-used/

If money is no object, I'd probably copy the foiltheworld guy and go armstrong foils.

http://instagr.am/p/BqdmG1JHucB/
 

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
6,999
795
113
The fact that you were able/wanted to paddle out today is all the confirmation I need that it's time to take the leap. Thanks for the info! Time to start the research :computer:
 

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
10,223
173
63
Foiltown , Hawai'i
Hdip said:
Hah, no need to apologize. I'm 6'1" 185#. (down to 173# this summer when I was foiling 5 times a week)

I like my board from wcfc. I like the Naish foil to for that matter, but, if I were doing it again I'd go for the XL Naish wing. The Large is fine for our weight, but the larger wing will be much easier to pump. Everyone I'm seeing doing pumps back out for long distances are using the gofoil iwa which is a larger wing than the Naish Large according to that mackiteboarding chart. I did get some really long pumping runs today since it was half a foot and that's all I was working on. My legs are still wobbly.

Here's some good boards coming out of Hawaii.

https://www.instagram.com/freedomfoilboards/?hl=en

The nice thing about Naish is all the pieces are compatible. So you can buy a different wing and not have to buy a new setup. Gofoil you'd have to buy the whole setup with multiple wings at the same time or they will not fit right. Also, if you break something you can replace a part instead of the whole setup. That's what scares me about the all one or two piece carbon setups.

Hard to beat the price of the ride engine foil to learn on though. http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2018-ride-engine-futura-foil-set/

This has been on there for awhile and it is real tempting, but I'm not going to spend more money on this sport until I have to.

http://www.mackiteboarding.com/2018-delta-mega-surf-foil-set-used/

If money is no object, I'd probably copy the foiltheworld guy and go armstrong foils.

http://instagr.am/p/BqdmG1JHucB/



Bumped into Micki and Robbie (Naish) at Haiku Post Office a couple days ago, talked foil for a minute. They hinted new Naish gear coming out soon....just sayin
 

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
6,999
795
113
What size board and mast do you guys suggest? Straight to mini-foil board or work my way down like K-uno? Seems like mast length depends on wave height/speed, bottom clearance, and your desire/need to pump for speed? I don't know. Longer looks more fun and better for pumping but maybe it's easier to learn on something a bit shorter like 55cm?

Given the expense, maybe it's better to just to buy the setup you will ultimately want to have and grow into it? :shrug:
 

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
10,223
173
63
Foiltown , Hawai'i
sizzld1 said:
What size board and mast do you guys suggest? Straight to mini-foil board or work my way down like K-uno? Seems like mast length depends on wave height/speed, bottom clearance, and your desire/need to pump for speed? I don't know. Longer looks more fun and better for pumping but maybe it's easier to learn on something a bit shorter like 55cm?

Given the expense, maybe it's better to just to buy the setup you will ultimately want to have and grow into it? :shrug:
I'd ask Hdip since you're in the same area. I foil reef breaks, deeper water stuff so it lends for more options with mast length.

I'd recommend starting off with your comfortable fish dimensions and work down from there. You'll need alittle glide initially to get to your feet. With foiling, there's no time to dick around with getting to your feet, the sooner you're there, the more successful you'll be. The sooner feet planted, the sooner you take control of the wing. This isn't surfing a planing platform, this is flying that platform.

And find/buy a board with the plate/track system, tuttle box is a joke its like buying a surfboard with glassed on fins. Youwill find you can find a better sweet spot for you when you move the mast in the box.

Lastly, price. That old saying...you get what you pay for. I'd find a happy medium. Aim for the middle. Cheap is shyt, and top end may not yield much better than the middle of the list.

my .02


oh, and that'll be $2,000 please. that's about how much I'm in to get that info.... :toilet:

you're welcome.. :wave2:



 

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
3,048
527
113
Malibu, CA
I bought mine from WCFC, they give $100 off the board if you buy them both at the same time. So $700 board and the 2018 Naish foil L wing was $1100. Plus tax I'm just under $2000. But I have since bought the 70cm mast. $170 or something.

Have you watched craigslist? I found steamroller's setup on there. I see a lot of foil stuff if you're willing to drive to orange county to grab it.

Naish 2018 vs 2019.

Quick search of "foil" for orange county.

This has the abracadabra quick release plate which will make taking the foil off the board easier. Naish Large for $850.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/2019-naish-surf-foil-large/6764912505.html

Full setup. Seems to be a really good price for basically the same setup I'm using, (I ride a 4'6") plus the medium wing. (which you don't need) WCFC 4'8" and 2017 Naish setup with 70cm mast. $1200.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/48-frequent-flyer-ryan-hurley/6753284663.html

This is probably to small for you, but the price is good. 4'4" for $500.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/foil-labfoilboard-surf-foil/6761618131.html

This is the brand Kuno rides I think.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/spo/d/53-custom-foil-board-keith/6759184325.html
 

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
3,048
527
113
Malibu, CA
I'll parrot what the WCFC guys told me when I was buying stuff.

Board size: If you start with a bigger board you're going to want a smaller board quickly. If you start with a smaller board it'll be harder at first, but you won't grow out of your board. For their frequent flyer's they say to get one that is similar to the volume you are currently riding. (I've noticed other foil companies have way way more volume in their boards, Luke Egan in one of the peter king video's says the board he was on is 40+ liters)
Mast size: Do you want to fall from this high (55cm) or this high (70cm).
On do they give out loaner boards: Just go punch yourself in the face over and over, that's what learning to foil is like. You have to want to do it.

What I've found since switching mast's is, I like the 70cm a lot better, but I'm glad I learned on the 55cm. For one you can surf much shallower water. This is important if you're trying to learn on tiny waves, which you'll want to be doing. Small waves break in shallow water around here. I hit the bottom way more just paddling when I'm on the 70cm. You'll be paddling for a wave and the water will suck out and you'll drydock. The foils are pretty tough, but it still hurts when you think how much you spent on it. Plus falling from a lower height is much better as you fall on every wave when learning. Try to keep the board in the water at first. If you start with the 70cm mast that'll be fine it might just take an extra session or two.

I surfed strand today and it was not surfable. There was a longboard guy who just paddled from jetty to jetty since there was nothing for him to ride. I was sitting on this one sandbar that was waist deep and then went into a big hole and caught a bunch of half a foot to two footers. I think I figured out some things I was doing wrong pumping.

PS: if you buy that full setup with the 70cm mast and it doesn't have the 55cm. You can borrow mine if you want. It just rides around in my car at this point.
 

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
6,999
795
113
You guys are awesome. Thank you very much. I'll update when I pull the trigger. :cheers:
 

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
1,575
284
83
SJC
If you want to get brand new stuff (or be able to put it all on a credit card) ordering online lets you save on tax and there are a lot of people selling stuff.

The slingshot foils look to be backward compatible and they seem to have cheaper parts when you want to upgrade or try new stuff.

If you have the cash, I would get a setup off craigslist as there are deals every week on lightly used Naish and Go Foils, with the odd Takuma Concept and Lift Foils showing up too.

 

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
10,223
173
63
Foiltown , Hawai'i
Wow was surprised when looking on CL in southern california, there's more on there than I'd thought.

Some deals on boards for sure. A new KT full carbon will run $850+ new on Maui. If you can pick up a used board for around $500 I'd jump on it. Almost all boards are build bulletproof, so most are in good shape. Not sure about the WCFC boards though, they look like they're made of PU foam with regular glass jobs and a carbon patch. I'd imagine those get deck pressure from pumping eventually.
 

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
3,048
527
113
Malibu, CA
You forget how many rich people with disposable income there are in Orange County. Add that plus the steep learning curve for ten or so sessions foiling and used stuff shows up. I think a lot of people tried over the summer. Next year will be interesting.

The wcfc bords are glassed pretty heavy I’m guessing as I abuse my gear pretty good and don’t have any pressure dings really. I am running full grip though. Bought a big 30”x30” patch on amazon cheap and cut it up.
 

Kaser1

Tom Curren status
May 3, 2004
10,223
173
63
Foiltown , Hawai'i
Hdip said:
You forget how many rich people with disposable income there are in Orange County. Add that plus the steep learning curve for ten or so sessions foiling and used stuff shows up. I think a lot of people tried over the summer. Next year will be interesting.

The wcfc bords are glassed pretty heavy I’m guessing as I abuse my gear pretty good and don’t have any pressure dings really. I am running full grip though. Bought a big 30”x30” patch on amazon cheap and cut it up.
Makes sense...you got a link for that 30x30 deck pad? Assuming it's cheaper than the $80 I had to spend for front and tail pads?
 

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
3,048
527
113
Malibu, CA
Oops 20 x 20 rather. It was $14 bucks. Not currently available it looks like, but you get the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HHNTK7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1