Best foil for you.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Guy found a naish foil washed up on the beach. Looks like the abracadabra plate failed. He’s open to best offer.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/d/carlsbad-hydro-foil/6899298439.html

grendel95

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 1, 2005
SJC
Hdip said:
Guy found a naish foil washed up on the beach. Looks like the abracadabra plate failed. He’s open to best offer.

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/spo/d/carlsbad-hydro-foil/6899298439.html
I was wondering what the story on this was, did you contact them?

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Yeah. He wrote me back twice. Said he found it washed up. He has no idea what to ask for it. He's just going off of it's $1100 new. I told him it looks like a Large wing and that the baseplate is useless and that he might be able to get sub $600, but I'm way to far away to come check it out. Then he wrote back and said if I'm serious about buying he'd meet me halfway. I said I would only do that for $350 or less. No reply to that.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I've written the foil science guy too. I'm pretty tempted by that, but may need to pay for car repairs. The mast is the 24 inch mast. Comes with a plate adapter so maybe make that 25 inches. The board is 4 foot and 39 liters.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Do it. It'll be no worse than the china clone you have now. Probably better. Then you'll have 3 wings to choose from.

Dec 5, 2018
Lately I've been foiling a lot. The Axis 900 is definetly good, it is really different than other wings, it is more back footed than front footed. Now I can do 4 waves in a row super easy with nice smooth carving.

I had a try on a Armstrong 1200, this time the shim was at the right spot, it felt nice but I'm so used to the ultra glide of the hight aspect wing that is gonna be hard for me to go back to a more technical classic wing. Only when it is bigger I guess.

keoki

OTF status
Dec 9, 2005
Hey Greg
What makes the 900 more back footed? Did you use the standard fuselage or the short one?

Dec 5, 2018
keoki said:
Hey Greg
What makes the 900 more back footed? Did you use the standard fuselage or the short one?
Short fuselage, maybe the position of the foil too far back. I like it on my 4'3, super forgiving for steep take off. On a longer board like a sup for exemple I need to try several positioning to see where to put it exactly. I'm used to the GF iwa that has good lift so I always put my foil far back.

Regarding the turning ability, the Axis900 turns good, as good as the iwa, not as tight as a more classic smaller wing but still good, you need to turn on the slow part of the wave, you need more space to drwan large lines, but that is the way I surf so it works fine for me.

If I want to do tight turn, be more radical, I will use the 75wing.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
I'm interested to see Naish's offerings as I've only seen them in the back of youtube video's. Currently I'd still go Signature Albatross if money was disposable.

Mar 20, 2019
So I bought the Gong XL, though I almost cancelled the order a few times, as their customer service was pretty bad. Somehow the shipping cost went from $100 euros to $145 euros in the 5 weeks between when I first contacted them and when I placed the order (shipping costs more in summer according to them). After arguing about the shipping price increase and getting no where, it turns out the quote he gave me the first time was actually for the wrong items (that took a whole week of going back and forth trying to get a price quote with shipping, and he didn't even get that right). Then when I went to pay it turns out that $145 included VAT so it was really only $125 (you'd think they would have mentioned that...) Overall a good price for shipping something to Hawaii from France, just a frustrating customer experience.

Anyways I'm still waiting for the wing, and have no idea how long the shipping will take. But I'm planning to use it on tiny summer waves on the north shore and for learning to downwind. I figure I'll get 4-6 months of use out of it, then by next fall all these newer wings will be available, and I can sell this if I want and use the money towards a high aspect wing.

juandesooka

OTF status
Jan 12, 2009
Nice! My buddy was considering going Gong too, I advised him to go for two, to maximize the shipping cost ...I recall it was a bit more for 2, but not double, and Gong has pretty much the cheapest single wing prices around. I had suggested either M/XL or L/XXL. But he chickened out, so no Gong wings to fondle or admire around here. Post your first-hand report once you're on it!

I wonder if you'll end up keeping it and just adding to the quiver. My single foil wing has slowly but surely expanded into a whole bunch ... several for kiting, several for surf/sup foiling. Much like surfboards, each has their specific optimal uses. But the biggie for me: I got a huge wing for tiny waves (Slingshot 84) and then of course use it in bigger waves too as the obsessions demands. That is a mistake, both for performance (with the extra speed, have to fight to keep it in the water) and also for durability (so much wing span, becomes a big lever in powerful white water, have now damaged the connection point on the warranty replacement too). So I got an H2 for bigger waves and it feels awesome....."locked in" is how I would describe it.

Anyways, point being, more foil wings = better. More more more! :)

Mar 20, 2019
Turns out the Gong foil arrived Wed, so only a week for delivery. Surprisingly fast! I wasn't home, so I had to wait till Thursday to pick it up from the post office... It came in a really nice carrying case, everything fits easily inside and is padded nicely. Though because of the wing size it's a little too long to be able to bring on plane as a carry-on, but with a smaller wing (M) it would probably be doable.. Total cost was $545 for the XL foil with 65cm mast, an extra 40cm kite stab, and shipping to Hawaii. (I had read that the foil is much faster and turns better with the kite stab(which is now on sale as well)). I could have had them swap the tails for no extra cost, but without trying them, I figured it would be better to have both tails.

Hdip, I thought about getting a second wing, but couldn't justify when I would use it. At 165lbs, the XXL is probably too big of a wing for me and would be of no use here in Hawaii. The M is about the same size as the wing I have now, and the L would probably be fun, but I just couldn't justify getting it now.

I can't give a good review yet, as the surf yesterday was pretty abysmal. Though I did take it out twice, so I'll give a little feedback now, and a little more after this weekend, as we are getting a little swell now... The first thing I noticed is that there seems to be a lot of play in the system. Mast to adapter and mast to fuselage both have more play than expected, also the mast is pretty flexible. The mast on the chinese foil I have now is also flexible, but with the extra big wing on this foil it is quite noticeable. I'm going to try add some tape to the mast on either end to tighten the connection a bit. And since I only weigh 165lbs and use a small prone board, I don't think the mast flex will be too much of an issue. But for a bigger guy on a standup board it might be a bit much. I was hoping the gong mast would be interchangeably with the mast I already have, but although they are almost identical in size, they dont quite fit and the screw holes don't line up.

First session, the surf was tiny, it was howling side shore, and I wouldn't have gone out if I hadn't just picked up a brand new foil. I used the surf stab. Nothing felt right. Ever drive an old car where when you step on the gas it feels like the car tries to stall before it takes off? Felt a little like that... Just a lot of play in the system and the tail whistled like a train trying to brake. But in all fairness the conditions were super bad. I got a few rides, but it wasn't anything at all like I expected. Left the water a little disappointed. (got home and tightened all screws, and was able to give a few an extra quarter turn)

Second session, less wind, but still almost no waves. Kite stab. No whistle, and the rides I got felt much better. Though I fell a lot. Not sure if it was from mast flex or the flat stab sliding out or both, but I def fell much more on take-offs than usual. I'd get up and start to go, then would just lose control. My guess is its because the kite stab is perfectly flat, so the tail just slides out, but it also felt like the mast would flex and build up energy when I first stood up, then snap back. Though if I could stay up after that initial instability, I'd get a good ride out of it. All in all it was a much better session than the first one, but like I said both sessions had really meager surf... Though my last wave in felt really good and fast, and I was able to easily link the outside section to the inside section, so I think I'll be stoked on the wing once I get used to it and have some better conditions.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Nice. Thanks for this bigmtn, keep it coming. Have you been able to compare your china clone to an actual Naish?

Mar 20, 2019
I've only ridden my two foils, 2 waves on an armstrong 1200 and 2 waves on a cloud 9 p27. (also a wave or 2 on my buddy's blue planet easy foiler, but was a sup board, and so everything felt weird)

Was able to take it out again last night, much bigger surf, but super windy/choppy. Kite stab again, didn't have the issue with falling on take off, but every so often would feel the tail slide out. But normal riding conditions it worked well, and my pump back out game has increased dramatically.

Forgot to mention the foil is quite a bit heavier than my other one, though it is massive so not sure how a similar sized one would compare.

I'm looking forward to trying to do a downwind run with it, think it should work good, so long as my other board is big enough to get me up on the wing. But as a daily surfer, the chinese foil is probably a better pick (faster and turns better), but with summer on the north shore being mostly flat, I'm glad I got this wing.