Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Suntory has a brand of whisky that only use Japanese oak for aging...I can't recall which one it is what it is at the moment.

If you got the $$ and the inclination, get a less sweet bourbon, a decent Scotch, and whatever Suntory brand I am thinking of but can't remember the name of right now, and do a blind taste test with some like minded friends.

Compare notes (do not have to be written down, but I have found that writing it down helps fake the idea, er, helps promotes the idea that this is a scholarly endeavor) and find out how much the tree actually makes the taste.

FWIW, I found the Japanese native oaks to be "perfume-ee", aka 'more nose than tongue'....not as in perfume-ee as in 'smelling like an off brand French tart sauce'.

Now excuse me, I have to go pretend I care about earning my hourly wage while dreaming of a better tomorrow.

PS
'tart sauce' was some slang I heard once from a Polish person who learned English slang from a non-Polish person...I have zero idea if this is real slang meaning "cheap perfume a prostitutes would use" but that is how I am using it here because I do not know any better yet like the way it reminds me of my dear old dad complaining to dear old mom how my three mean older sisters were getting "tarted up" to go to the home coming dance....ah, dads' and their fear of their daughter's virginity.

Last edited:

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
Added to my list of easy sippers, peated category.

View attachment 170087

I always prefer some wine influence on my peated whiskies, but this is just pleasant. Kicks the ass of the regular 10. Really smooth too, does not taste young even if it's a NAS. I just wish Laphroaig would do away with the caramel coloring... At least this is non chill filtered at 48%.
Don’t know if you can get Amazon purchases in Brazil but here, my son orders peat off A’zon and smokes chicken, fish (salmon), Thanksgiving turkeys etc with peat. Left overs are awesome too. Laphoaig and Lagulavin (sp?) are too smokey for my taste but Finlaggin (sp?) seems spot on for a counter to the sweeter Highland and Spey Sice whisky’s.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Suntory has a brand of whisky that only use Japanese oak for aging...I can't recall which one it is what it is at the moment.

If you got the $$ and the inclination, get a less sweet bourbon, a decent Scotch, and whatever Suntory brand I am thinking of but can't remember the name of right now, and do a blind taste test with some like minded friends.

Compare notes (do not have to be written down, but I have found that writing it down helps fake the idea, er, helps promotes the idea that this is a scholarly endeavor) and find out how much the tree actually makes the taste.

FWIW, I found the Japanese native oaks to be "perfume-ee", aka 'more nose than tongue'....not as in perfume-ee as in 'smelling like an off brand French tart sauce'.

Now excuse me, I have to go pretend I care about earning my hourly wage while dreaming of a better tomorrow.

PS
'tart sauce' was some slang I heard once from a Polish person who learned English slang from a non-Polish person...I have zero idea if this is real slang meaning "cheap perfume a prostitutes would use" but that is how I am using it here because I do not know any better yet like the way it reminds me of my dear old dad complaining to dear old mom how my three mean older sisters were getting "tarted up" to go to the home coming dance....ah, dads' and their fear of their daughter's virginity.
Mizunara?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Don’t know if you can get Amazon purchases in Brazil but here, my son orders peat off A’zon and smokes chicken, fish (salmon), Thanksgiving turkeys etc with peat. Left overs are awesome too. Laphoaig and Lagulavin (sp?) are too smokey for my taste but Finlaggin (sp?) seems spot on for a counter to the sweeter Highland and Spey Sice whisky’s.
There's amazon br, but products and prices are entirely different. I don't have a smoker but if I did I would definitely want to try this out.

Never tried a Finlaggan, but when it comes to amazing only lightly peated scotch, it's hard to beat a good Highland Park. In fact of all the amazing whiskies I got throughout 2023, if I had to give the trophy to one, it would probably be the Highland Park 16y Twisted Tattoo, which is matured in Ex-Rioja casks. It's just amazing... the peat is clearly there unlike for example Springbank, where you know there's some peat but you can barely taste or smell it. It's peated but it's really light compared to the mainstream Islays' (or any other properly peated whiskies for that matter). Sick bottle too!

1704939905753.png

I got this Highland Park in that Hitimewine store in Costa Mesa, I thought it was super cheap, like $79 for a good 16y, I think they're out now... I wish I had gotten 2 of them. It's one I will definitely get if a deal pops up around here, it's worthy of a replacement.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
As confirmed with a google search, that is the Japanese oak I was talking about.

Now to try and find a whisky (that I can afford) that has been aged in it.

View attachment 170347
Problem with Japanese whisky is that even though it can be delicious, the prices are where they're at not necessarily because of the quality, but mostly due to scarcity.

They just released a Yamazaki 18y Mizunara here in Brazil, it costs the equivalent of $3000. I'm sure it's an excellent whisky, but I'm also sure I can find whiskies just as good or better between $150 and $300. You have to be really rich or really stupid to throw that amount of cash on a bottle of 18y old whisky. I'm not either, so it's hard for me to relate.

Like the Macallan... WTF with those prices? for watered down scotch that's not near as good as it was 10+ years ago? It pisses me off. Most Macallan bottles are worth 1/3 of what they cost. some not even that.

Reactions: Mr Doof

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
The Orchard House is delicious. Perfect summer dram. Really fruit as the name suggests but there's more to it. The blend is mostly Clyanish, Linkwood and Benrinnes, but there's little bits of other stuff like Aberlour, even Caol Ila... It's good stuff. I like how they are pretty opened about their recipe, makes me want to play around here and create some stuff!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Something different. Got a deal on some samples.

1709670721717.png
Bowmore 15... I don't expect much but it was really cheap and I get to taste a Bowmore.
Kilchoman Sanaig... Always thought about getting a bottle... this was really cheap some good opportunity to try it.
Deanston 18
Old Pulteney 18
Speyside 22... this one was quite a deal... a single sherry butt and it's raw cask, meaning it may even contain cask sediments. Pure awesomeness.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Now, all the information no one asked...

Bowmore 15 (43%) - Tastes good. Lightly medicinal peat, very briny, red fruits... but oh so very watery and "short". Glad I tasted it, but you won't see me getting a bottle.

Kilchoman Sanaig (46%) - Now we're talking. So much darker than the Bowmore. lightly medicinal, stronger on the BBQ meat honey glazed ham notes. This tastes excellent, like a Uigeadail Jr. If a deal pops up I will absolutely get a bottle.

1709897924615.png

Old Pulteney 18 (46%) - To be honest I shouldn't have poured it when I did. My palate was already overwhelmed. My impression was very "meh"... tasted like a basic sherry finished whisky. I couldn't get the maritime notes they say this has, not after those 2 peat monsters above. Living and learning... I'll try this again if the opportunity pops up, but not planning on getting a bottle.

1709898197927.png

Deanston 18 (46.3%) - Very pleasant. Fully matured in ex-bourbon. Very floral, I hear this is a characteristic of Deanston. But not over the top, it's balanced. Fruity, pears, oak. Simple yet effective. I would get a bottle if the price was very good. Won't knock anyone's socks off but a proper easy sipper with some age.

Speyside 22 (Whisky Broker - 53,1%) - Raw cask, single sherry butt. 437 bottles in the world. This is the one I was waiting to try. Dirty, dirty sherry, tobacco leaves, leather... Overripe fruit... maybe even mold fruit... and yogurt? This is very powerful, very funky and very different. Extremely complex, Im glad I tried it, but as complex as it is, it's not super pleasant... that yogurt note specifically is really weird, I would rather do without it. It is quite a dram though, not for everyone.
speyside22.jpg1709898388855.png

As usual I got a bit carried away... ordered 5 more samples but went a little crazier (and more expensive) this time... they should be here today....

Kilkerran 12
Longrow 13 Red (I have gigantic expectations)
Undisclosed Orkney Distillery (Highland Park probably) 21 Infrequent Flyers PX (by AWWC)
Macnair's 21 (A blended malt from Billy Walker... I heard it's GlenAllachie + Islay whisky... this can't go wrong)
Rock Island 21

Last edited: