Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
View attachment 169126

This is one of my favorites.

I love Lagavulin. I have the 2023 special edition (also 12 y, also cask strength), which is a bit too spicy but still awesome, the lagavulin distillate is superb.

I remember seeing a lot of the Lagavulin 11 Offerman edition, particularly the charred oak. I regret not bringing one back home, but I got a bottle and finished it on the trip with my in-law, that was delicious. One of the smoothest drams but still powerful and peaty. Dangerously easy to sip. lol

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Happy happy and merry merry you filthy animals. Here’s our house favorite Christmas morning drink. Cheers bitches:
IMG_6703.jpeg
only mod I make is adding shaved vanilla bean or a little vanilla extract.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I like peaty whisky but Lagavulin is too much peat for my taste. On another note, I took my son with me to Scotland (he was my designated driver on the wrong side of the road). We spent the night at John O’groats (spell?) and had salmon for dinner. They smoked it with peat, probably the best we’ve ever experienced. So, when we returned to the US, son went on Amazon and started buying peat from Ireland or Scotland and smokes all our fish and turkeys (for Thanksgiving). I can only say one word re the taste… amazing! The left over turkey meat in various dishes rocks to the max!

Last edited:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Cask Strength fest!

Man, these 2 are excellent... both NAS, both Cask Strength.

(site was giving out an error when I first posted these)

View attachment 169111

View attachment 169112
Having tasted both of these again I can say that the Uigeadail is on another level. So glad I got it.

The Laphroaig Quarter Cask just arrived... Such a crazy deal I had to get it. I also just ordered a Glenfarclas 15, another insane deal. I had the 12 and thought it was ok... absolutely excellent for the price being a 1l bottle. I have the 105 Cask Strength... I don't love it but it's a good serried whisky. But I always heard the 15 was the best of the whole range comparatively and leaps in quality above the 12. We'll see... a sherried 15 year old is always welcome here.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
The 12 didn't blow me away although great value for a 1l bottle. The 105 is nice but the alcohol bites too much, could have been better integrated.

But I keep hearing the 15 is the best of the range, so I decided to try this one because a deal popped up. We'll see... No idea what the color of the whisky is as this is a very dark bottle.

1704314617118.png

Edit: Just realized I basically repeated my last post plus the image. oh well.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
They weren't kidding when they said the 15 is the best of the Glenfarclas' affordable range. This is head and shoulders above the 12y. I don't want to compare it to the 105 because it's cask strength, they're too different... but I also way prefer the 15, no contest (but you can't deny how rich the flavors are on the 105, but way too much alcohol... also, the 105 isn't complex, but it's simplistic taste and aromas are very concentrated).

the 15 reeks of old school sherry scotch (in the best way). the 12 at 43% has quite an alcohol bite... the 15 at 46%, you feel nothing, superb alcohol integration. A lot more complex than the 12... nutty. Good stuff... not mind blowing but an easy purchase considering it's usually much cheaper than other sherried 15 year olds.

I drank it side by side with the Tamdhu 12... at 43% (also sherried) and I always thought the alcohol was very well integrated... but the Glenfarclas 15 does it better, you sniff the sh!t out of it and there's no alcohol to smell, same with the taste.

Now I'm officially broke and should probably stop with this obsessive buying. I have good scotch here to last me for at least another decade already. Just counted, 42 bottles...ALL OF THEM OPENED! (ok, except for an old Grant's Family Reserve blended scotch I stole from my father in-law ).

Jun 7, 2015
I feel you on the self-control struggle. Glendronach 12 is a winner, that sherry vibe is top-notch. To keep it in check, I make it a special occasion thing.

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I was gifted a bottle of this for Christmas. Very peaty, but so delicious.
Lagavulin 16 is delicious. It drives me mad to know it could be so much better if it was at least 46%, non chill filtered and didn't have artificial coloring... damn Diageo. I don't get the need to color whisky, it helps tell the history of how it was made. I love it when it's like pale straw color...

1704511925030.png

Reactions: RemyXO and sushipop

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Added to my list of easy sippers, peated category.

1704719244615.png

I always prefer some wine influence on my peated whiskies, but this is just pleasant. Kicks the ass of the regular 10. Really smooth too, does not taste young even if it's a NAS. I just wish Laphroaig would do away with the caramel coloring... At least this is non chill filtered at 48%.