Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Telegram whisky contacts. I have a few. It's also how I manage to get reasonably priced bottles.
wow, i didn't realize how behind the times brazil's communication system was. i thought you guys would at least be on dial up internets instead of telegrams. do you also utilize the courier pigeon still?

• Haha
Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
wow, i didn't realize how behind the times brazil's communication system was. i thought you guys would at least be on dial up internets instead of telegrams. do you also utilize the courier pigeon still?
Smoke signals are on an all time high here lately. But it's mostly telegram (the new, electronic one) and WhatsApp.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Too hot for a proper session but I was curious. Poured a little less than half of the Kilkerran 12... basically 2 sips. :roflmao:

Nice nose. Salty, citrusy, appley, little bit of peat. Very interesting, reminds me of the amazing Springbank 10 (I'll compare them both for good another day)...

When you sip it though... it's tasty, super soft and light... maybe too much. Lacks some punch, the comparisons with the SB10 end there. It's very refreshing but the Kilkerran 12 bottle is quite expensive here (around $150 when you find it)... not worth at that price even if it's really good. For $80 dollars this would be a no-brainer, I'd totally recommend it at that price).

IMG_5549.jpeg

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Compared them yesterday... I was not off. They really resemble each other. Kilkerran is brinier, has more tropical fruit and citrus... the Springbank 10 is more rugged, makes itself known on arrival, and the finish is longer. I did enjoy the Kilkerran 12 more this second try, I'd be willing to pay a little higher for it than I said I would before.

58BCFA12-ADEF-4471-BE6D-607D23DFEED7.jpeg

I also tried this 21 year old blended malt from Douglas Laing, the Rock Island 21 (blend of Malts from the islands of Islay, Arran, Jura, Orkney and others)...

EA4CA3E2-A487-4FFA-A941-14DD435067A6.jpeg

It smells like wasabi... WASABI! So fucking interesting, I loved it. You keep nosing it and it transforms quite a lot... Lots of sea air, it's so obvious. Some sweetness start showing up if you insist on it... then some fruity jam. This is fucking great. And so soft. Feels only lightly peated at 21 years old, but it makes itself known on the finish.

The Rock Island 21 is probably cheapish for a 21y old where you guys live, I would buy it surely.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
One more. MacNair's 21y Lum Reek Peated. A blended malt from Billy Walker. This is Glenallachie and some Islay scotch. Oloroso, Virgin Oak and Red Wine Casks.

Virtually unpeated... you can't really notice it at all... maybe a hint of it in the finish. Smell and taste is basically sherry... not over the top sherry either, it's very contained. The only thing that grabbed my attention is this limey sour note that's rather pleasant. Nothing special with this one. Good, don't get me wrong, such an easy sipper... but I probably prefer even the Glenallachie 12 over this. The Rock Island 21 knocks this out of the park.

IMG_5562.jpeg

btw, I poured the rest of the dose after my first sip, it's gone now.

Reactions: kidfury

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Excellent. Very sherried... you can barely notice the peat. Certainly one of my favorites.

IMG_5627.jpeg

Also tried this one, Longrow Red 13 Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon. It was international whisky day ffs. One of the better whiskies I've tried so far and I hear it's not even one of the best Longrow Reds. Very "winey", funky, only slightly peated at first... and spicy. Prohibitive expensive though, maybe in a future trip I can bring back a bottle. Springbank is indeed the best freaking distillery out there.

IMG_5628.jpeg

Last edited:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Looking forward to try this little cask strength beast!

IMG_5651.jpeg

Found some sick prices so I also got a replacement for the 12 which is almost done (3rd bottle now, good stuff). The color of the 12 always impresses me...
IMG_5650.jpeg

Hoping I could find some of those vintage GlenAllachie bottles, I hear some of them are insane, particularly the 2005 one. but nowhere to be seen and prices should be through the roof... Core range for now.

IMG_5652.jpeg

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
Looking forward to try this little cask strength beast!

View attachment 176781

Found some sick prices so I also got a replacement for the 12 which is almost done (3rd bottle now, good stuff). The color of the 12 always impresses me...
View attachment 176782

Hoping I could find some of those vintage GlenAllachie bottles, I hear some of them are insane, particularly the 2005 one. but nowhere to be seen and prices should be through the roof... Core range for now.

View attachment 176783
what does medina drink?

haha, i kid i kid brukuns

more into bourbon on my end. larceny barrel proof and elijah craig barrel proof are pretty money. blanton's is overpriced.

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
what does medina drink?

haha, i kid i kid brukuns

more into bourbon on my end. larceny barrel proof and elijah craig barrel proof are pretty money. blanton's is overpriced.
I need to try some higher end bourbons. I have the Woodford Reserve which is ok, but I keep it here in case I want to mix something.

I also have the Eagle Rare 10, which is very good. But at the end of the day the corn distillate doesn't sit too well on my palate, too sweet.

I like it enough that I would be willing to try better ones but it's clear to me that I much prefer Barley distillates.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Bottles do not remain unopened in this house...

IMG_5653.jpeg

This thing packs a fucking punch... I love it! Raisins, dates, figs, dark chocolate, xmas cake, very jammy, a bit floral... all you'd expect from a sherry bomb... and spicy... so fucking spicy. This is a hot one and rough around the edges. It's great! I preferred it without water... You lose some of the flavor with the water and it doesn't help much with the spicy bit, not worth diluting it, maybe a couple drops.

I had already punished my taste buds with a cask strength whisky, why not finish the night with another one...

IMG_5656.jpeg

Smoke, smoke and smoke... apples, pears, brine, bbq, lemon, ash... and again, so fucking spicy. This whisky is insane. Beginners should stay the fuck away from both of these, it will not end well.

Curious thing about the spicy bit on these too if anyone's interested...

The Glenallachie is spicy as fuck right off the bat (spicy arrival is what they say)... then it subsides and you start getting all the sherry goodness.

The Laga 12 is the opposite... you don't feel the spice on the arrival, but as it develops the spiciness start to creep up and you get a spicy as fuck finish. This one likes water, it does not mess with the taste, becomes more palatable and you end up with more whisky for your money.

That's it... haven't become an alcoholic yet btw, I'm really chill... probably gonna be a few days before I have only a couple drams again. Just a whisky geek.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Had the Highland Park 18 a few more times... It's ridiculous how good it is, probably my current favorite of the entire bunch.

I still have a sample of an IB from the Allistair Walker Whisky Company, a 21 year old Infrequent Flyers matured in PX from an undisclosed Orkney distillery. Very likely a Highland Park. Gonna do a side by side between the 18 and this 21 when the time is right, this sample should be insane.

Got a few more crazy samples coming, all good prices (for what they are). A Hazelburn 21y (the unpeated label from Springbank, I only hear crazy good things about any Hazelburn let alone a 21y), a Germany Special Edition Highland Park 15y (matured in a single sherry butt, beautifully dark) and a freaking Highland Park 25y :beer:!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
They're here. :jamon:

GlenAllachie 11y Port Wood Ruby (don't expect much but it was cheap for a big sample and it will be fun to compare with my other glenallachies)
Highland Park 25y - hell yes
Highland Park 15y (but from a single sherry butt) - hell fucking yes
Hazelburn 21y - hells yeah

IMG_5723.jpeg

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
OMG... decided to try this sample that was hanging around... quite possibly the best whisky I've ever tasted :jamon:.

Allistair Walker Whisky Company, a 21 year old Infrequent Flyers matured in PX from an undisclosed Orkney distillery (which was confirmed to be Highland Park).

I poured some of the HP18 just for comparison. Holy sh!t the 18 tastes young close to this. So freaking good! I was afraid it was gonna be overly sweet because of the PX but far from it. This is so balanced and mouth coating. Leather, tobacco, raisins, dark fruits, chocolate, some very delicate earthy peat. The sweetness is always very hidden in the background. Long finish. This is truly insane, I hope to eventually have the opportunity to buy myself a bottle. Look at the color of this beauty!

IMG_5730.jpeg

1713526114877.png1713526150620.png

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
This Highland Park 15y Germany edition was aged in a single sherry butt and was bottle at a whooping 59,5%! It's a punch in the face, with all kinds of spices, but extremely fruity too, and very complex. Thumbs up.

IMG_5731.jpeg

The Hazelburn 21 is delicious. Very briny, has that farmy character of the Springbank Distillery. I wouldn't pay what it's worth though, I think I could get something similar out of a Kilkerran, Hazelburn is too expensive. Can't deny this is delicious though.
IMG_5736.jpeg

Reactions: Joshua2415