Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Tried making an Old Fashioned yesterday... Damn, I don't think this is for me. :roflmao: . I feel like an idiot for buying that Angostura... it should last decades at least. :trout:

Not the proper glass for an Old Fashioned... and the ice looks ugly in this pic even though I made it crystal clear. none of it matters since this drink tastes so weird. :roflmao:. Whiskey Sour all the way, so much tastier than this.

View attachment 166951
IMG_1470.jpeg

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I tried it once more... less angostura. Used a better bourbon too, the Eagle Rare. It was better... but still, not really for my palate. Much can be done with Angostura other than the Old Fashioned though so it's all good.

View attachment 167936
This what I used…

IMG_1471.jpeg

have you tried making manhattans? I prefer old fashioneds myself.

Reactions: Havoc

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Boring cocktail tips:

1 Simple syrup - aka "sugar water" is 1 part sugar to 1 part water and boiled for a few minutes. Try not to be lazy and buy it. Keeps forever in the fridge, well, not forever, but you get the idea.

2 Unless it is baking hot, a single big cube more often better than many smaller cubes or crushed ice...and heck if crushed ice is being used, cheaper booze makes more sense.

3 Home made bitters are economical to make AND you get to feel like an alchemist when making it. Angostura bitters on vanilla ice cream is yummy...or on other chopped fruit bowls. I think strawberry/blueberry/blackberry/raspberry with a touch of cream and a few dashes of Angostura bitters with a few good ginger cookies are way way better on Valentines Day than chocolate dipped anything with champagne.

4 When younger, sweet is the tendency for taste. When older, savory. Bitter, in proper proportions, works with both. But for me, less granulated sugar is better for pretty much any drink.

5 Candied cherries.....could just be me, but there are a few brands out there and most taste icky. An Italian brand (can't recall the name) is ok, but yeah, taste is hard to argue, so try a few and learn what you like. Am sure you can make your own.

6 three ingredient cocktails are the way....ice could as an ingredient if you want and note I have dreams of being a minimalist.

Last edited:

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
An old friend of mine is bottling pre-mixed cocktails. He's got an old fashioned, manhattan and mojito going right now and looking to get them to market early 2024. He gave me a bottle of his old fashioned last night. Looking forward to cracking it open this weekend.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I had a go at the Eagle Rare 10 yesterday, just the tiniest little dram. This is something else, it's so much better than any other bourbon I had tasted so far. Very complex. Nice mouthfeel. Good Whiskey. I'm considering ordering a second bottle while we're on these Black Friday prices, I just need to try it again to make sure I wasn't tripping. Weird thing is the nose on the glass while I was drinking was super interesting, but nosing the glass after it was done, it basically smelled of Bourbon, the kind I wouldn't enjoy (one of the reasons I wanna try it again before ordering another).
i can't find eagle rare anywhere here in the states so u brazzos r the onez buying it all up!

True story… I‘m teaching a surfboard workshop in Kyoto, Japan… As a thank you gift, the participants give me a nice bottle of local whisky as a going away present…

21587258_10155654864567398_3174098761487845845_o_Original.jpeg
(Above) The region is know for their fine whisky…

22008151_10155673045177398_7910368453447945807_n_Original.jpeg
(Above) KAMPAI...!!!…

I‘m about to fly back home and going though the airport there is a Duty Free Shop… I’ll get another bottle to bring back… Looking at the whisky shelf, there are several better bottles on the shelf… One is 120 something yen , there are a couple of 50 something yen… I choose a 50 something, 21 years old Suntory Hibiki…
IMG_3701.jpeg
Get home, look up what I bought… “Best Blended Whisky in the world“ for several consecutive years…Wow…!!!… Great…!!!… Start looking at the prices…All I can find is euro prices, something in the €350 range… Boy, did I get a deal…!!!…

I get out the receipt from the duty free store, get out my calculator and realize I did not get a $50 bottle, I bought a $500 bottle… What do I know about exchange rates and currency differences…???… My wife and adult daughter are there when this becomes apparent… Jaws drop, “You did what” ?… If I could have, I would have returned it, but now all I can do is enjoy it and share it with friends… And I did… And it was beyond good…!!!…

In the end I ended up with a couple cool things: A GREAT bottle of whisky and a pretty good story…

Now that same bottle is over $1,700…

https://www.caskers.com/hibiki-21-year-old-blended-japanese-whisky/

Last edited:

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I was in a liquor store last night and they had that and the 21yr old yamazaki for $1500. I’d love to spend someone else’s money knocking one of those bottles back.

Reactions: PLJ

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
True story… I‘m teaching a surfboard workshop in Kyoto, Japan… As a thank you gift, the participants give me a nice bottle of local whisky as a going away present…

View attachment 168553

View attachment 168554
(Above) KAMPAI...!!!…

I‘m about to fly back home and going though the airport there is a Duty Free Shop… I’ll get another bottle to bring back… Looking at the whisky shelf, there are several better bottles on the shelf… One is 120 something yen , there are a couple of 50 something yen… I choose a 50 something, 21 years old Suntory Hibiki…
View attachment 168552
Get home, look up what I bought… “Best Blended Whisky in the world“ for several consecutive years…Wow…!!!… Great…!!!… Start looking at the prices…All I can find is euro prices, something in the €350 range… Boy, did I get a deal…!!!…

I get out the receipt from the duty free store, get out my calculator and realize I did not get a $50 bottle, I bought a $500 bottle… What do I know about exchange rates and currency differences…???… My wife and adult daughter are there when this becomes apparent… Jaws drop, “You did what” ?… If I could have, I would have returned it, but now all I can do is enjoy it and share it with friends… And I did… And it was beyond good…!!!…

In the end I ended up with a couple cool things: A GREAT bottle of whisky and a pretty good story…

Hibiki is known to be incredibly smooth... and a 21y old! You're in for a treat!

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil

View attachment 168553

View attachment 168554
(Above) KAMPAI...!!!…

View attachment 168552

When they say blended whisky we immediately think there are other grains in the mash bill other malted barley... not the case here! It's a blend because they use whiskies from several distilleries of the region (so it can't be called a single malt), but it is a blended malt whisky! Nothing but malted barley in there... fucking amazing!

Reactions: PLJ

Landloct

Kelly Slater status
Jul 18, 2002

View attachment 168553

View attachment 168554
(Above) KAMPAI...!!!…

View attachment 168552

• Love
Reactions: Chocki