Album Surfboards

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
That rear/centre fin really stabilises the hull through a full roundhouse.
I almost always blow through the fins at the end of a roundhouse on a thruster.

Not so much on twins.

When surfing a twin back side i find it best to just pretend I’m on a thruster and let the twin “problems” just do its thing.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Problem solved immediately and for all time by adding a little stabiliser.

All the slippery speed of a twin and the anchorage/stability of a thruster.

Voila!

Reactions: Hazrus

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
With rare exceptions, first thing I notice about people moving to twins is they lose the full wrap roundhouse cutback- especially backside.
It's true. An exception to this would be Josh Kerr, but he is a man who is a world champ level surfer.

Also can't stand a lot of these fs slashy downcarve things the twin guys seem to love. They're ugly... and when the board starts to track through the turn (not always but sometimes) seems like havoc on the knees. Prime example here:

That said the board looks like it handles the tube nicely and the backhand footage around 00:42 looks great.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Likely.

Most of the top brands are cutting their riders some sort of paycheck.

What would be neat is a reveal of the guys that are riding their paid board sponsor's lam with another shaper's boards under their feet.:eek:

I think everyone knows the Noa Deane/Rusty thing and I heard Barton Lynch mention he was doing it in the 80s. I was given the impression this was not uncommon in the 80s/90s I'm curious if it still happens regularly.
Chillis were cool in 2003 because they were kinda secret, HIC or whoever logo up top, little blue chilli between the fins, or on top waxed over

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
Hmm. If you had the option to pay $800 for a PU or $1,100 for Varial do you feel Varial would be worth the extra $300?
You DO know that neither of those options you’re considering have lava residue in their glass schedule, right??:beer:;)

Varial over EPS for ride characteristics. I like poly/PU over Varial for same reason. Also, in my experience, non-carbon Varial dents when you look at it

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ReForest

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It's true. An exception to this would be Josh Kerr, but he is a man who is a world champ level surfer.

Also can't stand a lot of these fs slashy downcarve things the twin guys seem to love. They're ugly... and when the board starts to track through the turn (not always but sometimes) seems like havoc on the knees. Prime example here:

That said the board looks like it handles the tube nicely and the backhand footage around 00:42 looks great.
Forgive my ignorance here but could you point out what in that video was “ugly” and how that ugliness - which I couldn’t find - can be attributed to him being on a twin fin?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
at least another $100aud in grips as well, no?

Why is the front grip so far back
And the back grip so far forward….

”This board doesn‘t work!”

Reminds me of a Fort Knox I bought used some years back. Thing was basically new and the dude hated, HATED the board. He said it was “way too stiff” and that he “couldn’t get it to turn at all.

The back end of the tail pad was at the leading edge of the front fins.:socrazy:

Board fucking ripped.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Forgive my ignorance here but could you point out what in that video was “ugly” and how that ugliness - which I couldn’t find - can be attributed to him being on a twin fin?
Every one of those forehand downcarve things, especially the ones where the board begins to track off through the second half of the turn. It's a twin fin thing.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
Every one of those forehand downcarve things, especially the ones where the board begins to track off through the second half of the turn. It's a twin fin thing.
to each his own.. I could watch VB and AP and Kerr all day long…Burch’s waves in Chile in Psychic Migrations probably my fave keel fish surfing ever…surfed a big day at rincon in ‘09 and joe curren was the only guy connecting set waves through the rivermouth on a ci keel fish and all the pros were out. He was able to take a really high line and was going twice as fast as everyone else - first time I really understood what a twin fin could do.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It’s official.

Your opinion is total garbage.

Dude in that video was ripping. I honestly don’t even know what you mean by “down carve” anyway.

People who make and sell boards, other professional surfers, videographers and other industry professionals - in other words, a bunch of experts in the subject of surfing - put out that video to showcase how well some boards work. Everyone who sees it goes, hmmm, “I should consider a twin fin.”

Dude on the internet - “Those ‘down carves’ are ugly because twin fin.”

STFU

Last edited:
  • Haha
Jul 15, 2008
Has anyone tried vacuum-bagged carbon with PU core?

Considering this for a step-up Bom-dia. Seems Varial has stock problems.

• Wow

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
It’s official.

Your opinion is total garbage.

Dude in that video was ripping. I honestly don’t even know what you mean by “down carve” anyway.

People who make and sell boards, other professional surfers, videographers and other industry professionals - in other words, a bunch of experts in the subject of surfing - put out that video to showcase how well some boards work. Everyone who sees it goes, hmmm, “I should consider a twin fin.”

Dude on the internet - “Those ‘down carves’ are ugly because twin fin.”

STFU
Are you OK?

You seem to take everything personally.

Again, chill out.

I said I thought the surfing was great, especially backhand.

I said I thought the downcarves looked ugly, and it seems to be a recurring theme with twins - great surfing, then suddenly a tracky, speed burning turn where the board takes a straight line through the second half. Video was supposed to be cued for 3:07 to see the type of turn I'm talking about.

• Haha

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Has anyone tried vacuum-bagged carbon with PU core?

Considering this for a step-up Bom-dia. Seems Varial has stock problems.
Just picked an AO - PU blank with Dark Arts glass. Haven’t ridden it yet but the “in hand” feel hints at being probably the ideal build.

@santacruzin has ridden his and gave a very positive review.

It’s a little heavier than standard DA builds which could be a good thing overall. Still lighter and stronger than pu/pe.

Depending on how this one goes for me I can see it becoming go to build for customs.

And if you can ignore the “1” at the front end of the price it’s a hell of deal.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I said I thought the downcarves looked ugly, and it seems to be a recurring theme with twins - great surfing, then suddenly a tracky, speed burning turn where the board takes a straight line through the second half. Video was supposed to be cued for 3:07 to see the type of turn I'm talking about.
Yeah, I call that the Conner Coffin Cutback.

That’s what Conner used to do all the time ON THRUSTERS. He fixed it around the time he left CI.

Also JJF used to do those too a lot, on thrusters.