Album Surfboards

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
he's on a quad....the vesper is set up as a quad

not all albums are twins :eek:
Even as a quad, there is still no center fin or stabilizer. I think it still proves my point that having a center fin or stabilizer does not help when executing a roundhouse maneuver. I actually think having no center fin helps, because you are really using more rail than fin to push off when you are cutting back on the shoulder of the wave.

Reactions: lofatkilla and jkb

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Even as a quad, there is still no center fin or stabilizer. I think it still proves my point that having a center fin or stabilizer does not help when executing a roundhouse maneuver. I actually think having no center fin helps, because you are really using more rail than fin to push off when you are cutting back on the shoulder of the wave.
But for the average surfer?

Using top level guys, especially Josh Kerr (who I'll reiterate is a world champ level surfer and likely the best surfer on twin fin, ever) is not a great example. Some of these guys are so far beyond your average surfer they aren't even participating in the same activity.

I saw an interview with Josh Kerr where he mentioned a thruster is designed to redirect and keep you in the pocket, a twin fin wants to stay more in the open face.

Considering his credentials I think that viewpoint holds weight.

Reactions: encladd and pagey

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
My friends get mad at their boars if it hits them.

I love boars like that. More than a couple of my great to magic boars were dinged before it even touched the water. Those boars have so much action they just want to hit something. Door jambs, sign poles, my elbow. Haha.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
But for the average surfer?

Using top level guys, especially Josh Kerr (who I'll reiterate is a world champ level surfer and likely the best surfer on twin fin, ever) is not a great example. Some of these guys are so far beyond your average surfer they aren't even participating in the same activity.

I saw an interview with Josh Kerr where he mentioned a thruster is designed to redirect and keep you in the pocket, a twin fin wants to stay more in the open face.

Considering his credentials I think that viewpoint holds weight.
Average surfers suck sh!t on thrusters.

Why do you think so many average surfers have all but stopped buying them?

Average surfers are better off not having to overcome the presence of an anchor on their boards.

Personal experience - everyone who knows my surfing (very fucking far below Josh Kerr level) will tell you I surf waaaaaayyyyy better on twins.

And I know a bunch of guys from really high level surfers to average joes who have moved to twins and quads as they’ve gotten older because….

…..wait for it….

….they surf better on them.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020

Average surfers are better off not having to overcome the presence of an anchor on their boards.

Personal experience - everyone who knows my surfing (very fucking far below Josh Kerr level) will tell you I surf waaaaaayyyyy better on twins.

And I know a bunch of guys from really high level surfers to average joes who have moved to twins and quads as they’ve gotten older because….

…..wait for it….

….they surf better on them.
I agree 100%.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Josh Kerr, likely best surfer on a twin fin ever...you really did just come down in the last shower of rain.
Oh wait...head injury. Carry on.
:roflmao:
For whatever reason over the past decade we'd happen to show up at the same spots on the same day on the regular. Back when he was still riding thrusters, his surfing post Rusty completely blew my mind. I was never a fan before, but watching him off tour and off R. was like a completely different surfer. Agility and technical ability off the richter.

I think the first time I saw him on a twin was at 3Ms and the technical aspect of his surfing just had a flow that was unparalleled. Same surfer, just up a notch and completely polished. Didn't have clue who it was til I saw Sierra, next shock was seeing it was a twin.

If you know someone who does it better, who is it?Screen Shot 2024-01-11 at 12.16.10 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-11 at 12.16.20 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-11 at 12.16.29 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-11 at 12.16.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-01-11 at 12.17.11 PM.png

Reactions: Havoc

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Most aren't surfing any better on twins.

Marketing.

And everyone is one board away from ripping.

The thruster is by far the easiest design to surf that allows a surfer the most versatility throughout their surfing life.

Most average surfers have not all but stopped buying thrusters. I have no idea where you came up with that.

The driving on ice analogy applies here. Whatever maintains control with the most skilled driver will be the fastest, regardless of how powerful the engine. In some cases that will be a twin or quad, but in most cases for most average surfers they will be best on a thruster. Traction is slower but serves a purpose.