Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
what are the bomdia fins? split keel?

@Aruka what quads you running in yours?
i've been running DHD L fronts and qd2 4.15 flat foil rears

it feels great but at the same time I haven't played around much so maybe there's better combos. there was one session in larger surf where it felt like a little less fin would have been nice.

last session I switch the fronts for P8's and it felt like it lost too much drive but it might have been the weak sh1t conditions.

spjones123

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 24, 2005
Finally rode the Bullet this morning. Waves were knee-stomach high, clean lefts and rights, kind of soft, but still fun enough. I would normally ride the Plasmic in these conditions but I was itching to get the Bullet in the water and it did not disappoint. Rode it as a twin/trailer with the MR setup.

The board is exactly as advertised, and exactly what I was after...a small/medium sized wave performance board. Dims on my Bullet are 5'6 x 19 x 2.38, around 27L (I'm 5'10 / 160). I was honestly a little worried that I may have gone too small because all of my other Albums are in the 29-30L range, but I ordered it that way to keep it loose and more reactive compared to the others.

It paddles very well for a thinner/narrower board, and I had no problems catching any wave I tried for. Getting to my feet and getting that first pump in took a couple waves to get used to because it doesn't have that instant speed of the Plasmic , LB or other fishier boards. You do have to make your own speed (at least in the conditions this morning), but once I adjusted to that, it was a non-issue. In fact, I cruised over some pretty flat sections with ease and was able to slam the end sections. As with most of Album's models, the Bullet is user-friendly and easy to ride. It feels like a performance board under foot, with a little bit of built-in cheat.

Overall, I'm super happy with the first outing. If it went well in today's waves, I'm sure it will be that much better in bigger/punchier surf.
Any more updates??

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
As stated, I am really enjoying the VB Secret Menu. Kind of unexpected how well this board has worked out, but no complaints because it works. And now that the winter wave switch has finally turned on, the obvious board to try next is the step-up version of the VB Secret Menu - a bit longer, narrower, thicker, with a roundtail. It feels and looks great, excited to try it here soon.

2023-10-14 06.27.52.jpg

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
As stated, I am really enjoying the VB Secret Menu. Kind of unexpected how well this board has worked out, but no complaints because it works. And now that the winter wave switch has finally turned on, the obvious board to try next is the step-up version of the VB Secret Menu - a bit longer, narrower, thicker, with a roundtail. It feels and looks great, excited to try it here soon.

View attachment 164639
Oh man! That's a beautiful outline!

What dims did you go with?

Thruster?

Reactions: chilly1 and j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Oh man! That's a beautiful outline!

What dims did you go with?

Thruster?
Thanks - I am really happy with the way it came out!

Yeah thruster, step-up/roundtail dims are 6' 0"x19"x2.48". For reference, my DD VB secret menu is 5'9"x19.25"x2.38"

• Love
Reactions: jkb

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Thanks - I am really happy with the way it came out!

Yeah thruster, step-up/roundtail dims are 6' 0"x19"x2.48". For reference, my DD VB secret menu is 5'9"x19.25"x2.38"
sweet. what about volumes? and your height/weight?

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
sweet. what about volumes? and your height/weight?
The 5' 9" is around 30.5L, the 6'0" is about 31.5L or a bit more. I am tad over 5' 8", 175lbs.

Yesterday the waves were epic (shoulder high plus, offshore winds, sunny, clean faces, minimal people), and the standard VBSM was awesome. Today waves were a tad less composed, bigger than yesterday, so surfed the step-up VBSM to try it out, and it felt great, it felt like an extension of the VBSM with more speed control and notice the narrowness. I have been looking for the right step-up and have tried various boards, yet I haven't gotten right until now, the VBSM step-up is aligned with what I have been looking for.

I prefer the Jack Freestone fins - I like their stiffness and control. I tried a lot of fins in the standard VBSM.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Album into soft tops now?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Album into soft tops now?
Um, for years. The Plasmic is actually based off one their soft tops.

Jun 16, 2022
OC, United States
Been surfing my stock 5'8" Bom Dia at HB Pier and Cliffs this past south swell. Running the Album NVS upright quads (I think they call them Bom Dia quads now?)

Was absolutely surprised by how fast this board is. The speed it carried through turns was incredible, and made surfing feel pretty effortless. My first wrap on it was on a softer section, but was able to complete the turn and connect it, despite the section not offering much juice. Board is pretty sensitive too, and has a super tight turning radius when the heelside rail is engaged. I definitely overturned/slipped out a few times at first accidentally, but I think with some practice it'll allow for some more aggressive turns. Interested to see how it'll grovel in between swells .1D530505-E85C-4E3C-B448-0E081DEBF93B_1_105_c.jpeg

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
sorry i can't keep up with everything all the brands do

anyone used one of their soft tops? for some reason these soft tops shaped like a "real" board intrigue me
don't be fooled! I bought one used with the expectation that I could actually surf it and it was basically a wavestorm in a smaller package that cost more money

super heavy for some reason (maybe it was waterlogged, but it looked cherry otherwise) and really really chonky rails

I've fondled a couple of the Pyzel soft tops and they seem way more surfy to me if that's what you want