Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Who here has ridden the plasmid? I know someone had one.

Kind of eyeing that dark arts one that just popped up on the site.
i have a 6-11 in XTR.

i like it quite a bit. i got it for small and/or mushy waves and for that it works quite well. it can work in bigger stuff as long as it's not too steep. tbh it feels somewhat like a normal plasmic when you get your foot over the fins and have room to turn it.

that 6-2 round tail on the album site, if that's the one you're looking at, would be quite different but probably really fun in the right waves. is it a dark arts or some other carbon eps build? no DA logos...

Reactions: j_mac

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

interesting. it says EPS/Carbon but no gold triangle lam that says by DA. Maybe done in house?
Compared to standard plasmid tail, that narrower round pin would have a lot of hold along with the channel IMO.
I've got a 6'4 with a rounder tail than this one, that I like a lot, can do a bit of everything. It's glassed pretty heavy, curious how a lighter one would feel.

edit: Wish I could demo this 6'6 quadsman. I'm intrigued

Last edited:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

The 6’2?

Pretty sure it’s not made by dark arts but looks and feels like the same tech. I felt up a smaller one there too - 5’8ish - on thursday. There’s. No dims on it. I almost bought it on the spot but wasn’t sure about it due to the size.

Please buy the one on the website so I don’t.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

The Plasmid is an interesting board. I got chunky, wide 6' 10" Plasmid for small waves, and yet I don't care for it in small waves. I won't even surf it in small waves anymore. I have way more fun with other boards in small waves. Surprisingly, the Plasmid works in bigger waves toward the head-high size, and I have surfed it in overhead waves with success. There are conditions where the speeds are too fast. Between volume, a good amount of nose rocker, the channel, and the twin, it is a blast. It gets you earlier and holds and handles some of the steeper waves. I used the Rasta Twins for a little, based on @Aruka, and they are fun and the board is a rocket, but I prefer less speed.

The 6'2" is an interesting size, and as @oeste858 stated that channel could provide some good hold with the round pin tail. I know you have a longer, chunkier Ledge. Have you considered a shorter one? I got a 6'2"x 19.25 "x2.5" Ledge tri-fin earlier this summer for traveling and my local winter break. I have wanted one for some time. The dimensions of my tri-fin 6' 2" Ledge are close to the 6' 2" Plasmid, though my Ledge is narrower. I was worried about the chunkiness of the Ledge based on comments in here, but the 6'2" at 2.5" feels good.

I am still figuring out my Ledge and its design, but I like the fishy nature of it with the low rocker, volume forward, and the pintail with the tri-fin. I haven't gotten many surfs on it yet. I surfed it a few times in Costa Rica as a twin plus trailer in shoulder high beach breaks, and it worked great. Recently, the waves turned on, and it went well as a thruster (medium JJF) last week. My buddy borrowed it and surfed it at punchy, head-high break and raved about it, and now wants one. Anyway, maybe something to consider.

Reactions: Aruka

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
The 6’2?

Pretty sure it’s not made by dark arts but looks and feels like the same tech. I felt up a smaller one there too - 5’8ish - on thursday. There’s. No dims on it. I almost bought it on the spot but wasn’t sure about it due to the size.

Please buy the one on the website so I don’t.
Oh really? I just assumed it was DA. Did it seem like the quality and weight is at DA level?

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
interesting. it says EPS/Carbon but no gold triangle lam that says by DA. Maybe done in house?
Compared to standard plasmid tail, that narrower round pin would have a lot of hold along with the channel IMO.
I've got a 6'4 with a rounder tail than this one, that I like a lot, can do a bit of everything. It's glassed pretty heavy, curious how a lighter one would feel.

edit: Wish I could demo this 6'6 quadsman. I'm intrigued
This looks really good to me. But 1100 for a poly. jebus

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I never paid much attention but it looks like the bullet and insanity are standard thruster/quad 5 fins that everyone just happens to like with a 2+1?

Bullet seems like one of the most practical shapes he makes. Will probably be my next board - on the fence about twin vs 5 fin setup.

Reactions: tcureton and sdsrfr

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
The Plasmid is an interesting board. I got chunky, wide 6' 10" Plasmid for small waves, and yet I don't care for it in small waves. I won't even surf it in small waves anymore. I have way more fun with other boards in small waves. Surprisingly, the Plasmid works in bigger waves toward the head-high size, and I have surfed it in overhead waves with success. There are conditions where the speeds are too fast. Between volume, a good amount of nose rocker, the channel, and the twin, it is a blast. It gets you earlier and holds and handles some of the steeper waves. I used the Rasta Twins for a little, based on @Aruka, and they are fun and the board is a rocket, but I prefer less speed.

The 6'2" is an interesting size, and as @oeste858 stated that channel could provide some good hold with the round pin tail. I know you have a longer, chunkier Ledge. Have you considered a shorter one? I got a 6'2"x 19.25 "x2.5" Ledge tri-fin earlier this summer for traveling and my local winter break. I have wanted one for some time. The dimensions of my tri-fin 6' 2" Ledge are close to the 6' 2" Plasmid, though my Ledge is narrower. I was worried about the chunkiness of the Ledge based on comments in here, but the 6'2" at 2.5" feels good.

I am still figuring out my Ledge and its design, but I like the fishy nature of it with the low rocker, volume forward, and the pintail with the tri-fin. I haven't gotten many surfs on it yet. I surfed it a few times in Costa Rica as a twin plus trailer in shoulder high beach breaks, and it worked great. Recently, the waves turned on, and it went well as a thruster (medium JJF) last week. My buddy borrowed it and surfed it at punchy, head-high break and raved about it, and now wants one. Anyway, maybe something to consider.
I've certainly thought about it but I kind of have a lot of coverage in that area. I used to have a 6'4 retro gun that I loved and used a lot. I also have a 6'4 fiji mote, and I've had a number of ghosts in the past. It's not really off the table but I think for me the ledge is best in the 6'10 - 7'6 category as a sort of easy to paddle/surf step up / gun. Anything below or above that range and I'm kind of looking for something more refined. But that doesn't mean I don't ride my ledge A LOT. My 6'9 has proved to be a really solid and versatile board for OB winters.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I've certainly thought about it but I kind of have a lot of coverage in that area. I used to have a 6'4 retro gun that I loved and used a lot. I also have a 6'4 fiji mote, and I've had a number of ghosts in the past. It's not really off the table but I think for me the ledge is best in the 6'10 - 7'6 category as a sort of easy to paddle/surf step up / gun. Anything below or above that range and I'm kind of looking for something more refined. But that doesn't mean I don't ride my ledge A LOT. My 6'9 has proved to be a really solid and versatile board for OB winters.
Good to know - thanks, I have a longer 7' 0" Ledge on order for my local break. I am happy with most of my boards other than my bigger wave ones. Since late spring, I have been re-shuffling these based on my experiences last winter.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Good to know - thanks, I have a longer 7' 0" Ledge on order for my local break. I am happy with most of my boards other than my bigger wave ones. Since late spring, I have been re-shuffling these based on my experiences last winter.
What fin setup did you decide to go with? Wish Matt would go quad or five-fin as a default.

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
The bullet is throwing off some solid ”I’m a performance version of a RNF96” vibes. Love it. Get on the ride report maintenant.
Finally rode the Bullet this morning. Waves were knee-stomach high, clean lefts and rights, kind of soft, but still fun enough. I would normally ride the Plasmic in these conditions but I was itching to get the Bullet in the water and it did not disappoint. Rode it as a twin/trailer with the MR setup.

The board is exactly as advertised, and exactly what I was after...a small/medium sized wave performance board. Dims on my Bullet are 5'6 x 19 x 2.38, around 27L (I'm 5'10 / 160). I was honestly a little worried that I may have gone too small because all of my other Albums are in the 29-30L range, but I ordered it that way to keep it loose and more reactive compared to the others.

It paddles very well for a thinner/narrower board, and I had no problems catching any wave I tried for. Getting to my feet and getting that first pump in took a couple waves to get used to because it doesn't have that instant speed of the Plasmic , LB or other fishier boards. You do have to make your own speed (at least in the conditions this morning), but once I adjusted to that, it was a non-issue. In fact, I cruised over some pretty flat sections with ease and was able to slam the end sections. As with most of Album's models, the Bullet is user-friendly and easy to ride. It feels like a performance board under foot, with a little bit of built-in cheat.

Overall, I'm super happy with the first outing. If it went well in today's waves, I'm sure it will be that much better in bigger/punchier surf.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
What fin setup did you decide to go with? Wish Matt would go quad or five-fin as a default.
yeah kinda funny he does not

shape-wise i loved my 7'2" ledge (twin) but realized for those size waves I want a quad almost100% of the time and sold the boar

i briefly had a 6'9" plasmid (broke on session #1 on the outer bar); cool concept but seemed like it was meant for a wave with less power. felt super duper squirrely and on top of the water

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Got a set of the Bom Dia fins the other day. Hopefully they help fix some of the problems I was having with the OG album quads (Trailers were too small, kind of squirrelly at times)

Reactions: chilly1

Goofy_Footed

Nep status
Jul 31, 2016
Damn, plants are expensive. At least you can turn it into tequila when it loses its pop.