Album Surfboards

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
...Wasn't someone saying that the Album built rails were coming out a little different than the other builds?
May have been me. I have a 5'6 Varial Twinsman and noticed the hard edges were carried up much further (like almost double) on the Twinsmans I felt-up at Album.

Varial said they like to keep the edges hard about a fist length ahead of the fins where it starts blending to a softer edge as standard, but said they can adjust that based on the person ordering the board's preference. In a conversation with Matt Parker, he said there is no hard defined starting point and it can range from 3 - 7" in front of the fins on a 5'6". The 5'6 I checked out at Album was more like 8 1/2" (my elongated shaka is a surprisingly accurate measurement).

I thought it was a little strange that there would be any variation between manufacturers. I've ordered numerous "models" in custom dims from several shapers in addition to Album: Stretch, Rusty, Haydenshapes, Channel Islands, Chilli and from what I could tell, the shapes were the shapes, including how the hard edge was finished (if the finish sander got things right).

Last edited:

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
In addition to the fin box blowing out bs, my PU/poly boars ding so much easier than my XTR or Varial ones. Any new boars will be #spacemanchit
Have two Varial albums now and Varial has the edge for me over XTR cause
a) you don’t have to worry about them heating up /delam and
b) the white doesn’t yellow.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
In addition to the fin box blowing out bs, my PU/poly boars ding so much easier than my XTR or Varial ones. Any new boars will be #spacemanchit
Have two Varial albums now and Varial has the edge for me over XTR cause
a) you don’t have to worry about them heating up /delam and
b) the white doesn’t yellow.
XTR's color jobs are like mood rings. Can Varial's gray turn to purple and their orange or red turn to pink when the surf is firing? Its exciting!

Side note, I saw my buddy recently that I sold my xtr gremlin to. It looked barely used when I sold it months back. Saw it last week and now the white color looks like an old piece of cheese. I was like "Damn that yellowing flipped a switch with the quickness, sorry dude" LOL

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I busted the Futures guys balls on instagram about making a twin fin box with a bigger footprint that doesnt blow and they responded derrrp, just add more glass, derrrp. How friggin hard would it be to make some wider twin fin boxes? Like, do it before fcs does....

I just helped my homie do a desert fin box repair on his keel fish. It had at least 3 layers of glass over it but still started cracking from all his gym bro bottom turns. I ran 2 layers of 4 oz under the box and then 2 layer patch over top. Should last him his trip anyways but what a pain.

Reactions: jkb and Havoc