Album Surfboards

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm 6'1 x 190 and on a stock 5'8" x 19.75" x 2 3/8" Twinsman.

Want to go wider/thicker: 5'8" x 20" x 2 5/8"

The rails and the tail are so thinned out in the back.

Best performance board I may have ever had. 2nd being an Andy Irons arakawa trade in from 1998 and third is an Andy Irons arakawa trade in from 2008. 4th is probably TPatterson IF-15 from 2017. 5th place a random sharp eye from 2001 that was in the trade in rack when I was picking up a custom. There was a Yerxa in there too that was pretty epic, 2012ish.

Super gey for this board.

Last edited:

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I just had a chance to take my Twinsman out for the first time. Pumping waves at Nusa Dua, head high to 1.5 oh. Steep drops but man the Twinsman ate it up. I've had thrusters with less control. Went full on Album fan-boy and got the Album upright fins.

I know this reflects horribly on myself, but I happy to enjoy riding a Hypto Krypto. I think all my experience on that board made it super easy to get on a Twinsman and go. Both boards have roughly the same dimensions and they feel similar in terms of paddling position and popping up. I caught ten or fifteen waves today without boofing anything or going headfirst over heels.

I've heard some people say the Twinsman is geared so far to high performance that it doesn't work well in slop. I wanted to put that to the test but the waves were too fucking good today :rolleyes:

Anyways. Got it in XTR 8.0 and it feels great to me. Doesn't feel too stiff but I'm also just an average surfer, not doing crazy sh!t out there. Just having fun. Really happy with this board, I can tell it's going to be one that I grab off the rack a lot. I bought it as an indestructible travel board for those times when I only take 1 stick, and I think it's going to be great for that.

twinny.jpg

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Flat deck and the corresponding rail profile is a trip. Not for everyone, but I’ve liked every flat/concave deck I’ve had. Takes a wrecking ball to knock me off.
When I got the box from XTR and yanked the board out, I thought they'd made a mistake in the shaping. I didn't think any surfboard should be that flat. Took me by surprise. But it works

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I just had a chance to take my Twinsman out for the first time. Pumping waves at Nusa Dua, head high to 1.5 oh. Steep drops but man the Twinsman ate it up. I've had thrusters with less control. Went full on Album fan-boy and got the Album upright fins.

I know this reflects horribly on myself, but I happy to enjoy riding a Hypto Krypto. I think all my experience on that board made it super easy to get on a Twinsman and go. Both boards have roughly the same dimensions and they feel similar in terms of paddling position and popping up. I caught ten or fifteen waves today without boofing anything or going headfirst over heels.

I've heard some people say the Twinsman is geared so far to high performance that it doesn't work well in slop. I wanted to put that to the test but the waves were too fucking good today :rolleyes:

Anyways. Got it in XTR 8.0 and it feels great to me. Doesn't feel too stiff but I'm also just an average surfer, not doing crazy sh!t out there. Just having fun. Really happy with this board, I can tell it's going to be one that I grab off the rack a lot. I bought it as an indestructible travel board for those times when I only take 1 stick, and I think it's going to be great for that.

View attachment 123265
How did you get an XTR Twinsman out to Nusa Dua?

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
How did you get an XTR Twinsman out to Nusa Dua?
Elbow grease and money.

Ordered a few XTRs and Varials and got them shipped while I was back in the states. Then packed up 4 of them, took advantage of Etihad's generous board policies and got to Jakarta. Week of quarantine then Garuda's generous board policies and back to Bali. Then yesterday was the first day in 2 weeks the waves weren't sh!t so I took the Twinsman.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
What's the word on XTR Album vs Varial Album? I'm feeling YOLO...
I've surfed my XTRs about 4 times and my Varial maybe 3 times. So I'm definitely not an expert, but I gotta say that the XTRs feel really nice. Kind of like a FutureFlex board. And that $60 faux resin tint, versus like $200 for resin tint on a varial? Given the price different I would happily get an XTR.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
I've surfed my XTRs about 4 times and my Varial maybe 3 times. So I'm definitely not an expert, but I gotta say that the XTRs feel really nice. Kind of like a FutureFlex board. And that $60 faux resin tint, versus like $200 for resin tint on a varial? Given the price different I would happily get an XTR.
Thanks for the input. I've had a few XTR Tomos and they always last a long time, but the finish with a resin tint usually has a bit of funk to it. Is the finish on the Varial a bit cleaner? I'm a bit OCD about some things...