A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
A sportfish with diesels and decent A/C in the salon is sleep heaven. Wake up in the pre-dawn Bahamas sticky-ness, 80-something degrees, trades getting started. Getting sh!t ready, get out there, fish, reel in/bail weed/re-drop endlessly, and then by mid-day or so when the flybridge is keeping the sun off the rigging station/bait cooler/cutting board rear deck assembly, just post up on it and snooze until you hear a reel buzzing. Get everything washed off at the end of the day, wash off the boat, you've been sweating your ballsack off for ages now, shower, gameless wonder mode fail at trying to pull tourist girls from the cruise ship party square, get back to the boat, and get into one of those little cool, pitch dark cocoon rooms.

It's only the promise of dolphin, tuna, maybe marlin and wahoo that is getting you back out of that hibernation heaven.

Also toe operating the autopilot/nav computer with the dial and the arrows. Sitting in the captain's chair, completely Snoop Dogg laid back, coldy in hand, watching the chart plotter and depth sounder as you make a slow, gentle zig zag trolling up onto and off of the ledge just by hitting the left and right arrows with the big toe from peak LazyBoy posture. Talking sh!t to whoever is reeling in skipjacks and barracuda and telling them to try reeling in a blackfin.
If we don’t surf when I next visit let’s fish with whatever rich guy has THAT set up

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
If we don’t surf when I next visit let’s fish with whatever rich guy has THAT set up
RIP Buddy's dad, spine/spinal cancer? He was I think 60-something when he got it and lasted like 10 years.

Edit: Got bit a couple times tonight, think they were ladyfish or something else not all that big. Nothing landed, but a decent sunset with some nice lightning from a distance, poor photography though. Storm probably 60 miles away hitting the Griffinator?

DSCF6114.JPGDSCF6119.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Q_Surf and hal9000

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Got some small snook off the mangroves Saturday evening. My advice for people fly fishing for gulp feeders like snook and bass, especially smaller fish, is to crimp/crush the barbs. Yeah, you might get jumped/head shaken off a bit more, but for me throwing a 5wt at fish basically guaranteed under 22" with most 14-18", they often hit these little flies so hard it winds up way down there, and going basically barbless or with just the bump, it's a much easier release with way less chance of damage.

Next up will be getting some bendbacks. I asked a guy at Black Fly Outfitters about this one time and he looked at me like I had 15 heads. Hadn't heard of the fly, couldn't get behind a hook-up baitfish. My logic is, it will snag less in the mangroves falling hook up, it will not snag on oysters or grass or stuff on the bottom as readily, and the snook will get it more often in the roof vs down towards the gills.

Got 4 false albacore on slow pitch jigs in 100' on Sunday. Fished with basically snook gear, 20# braid on 4500-5000 class reels. Skunked on snapper but they're closed, and on light gear the albies can fight like hell.

The gullet feared by the mullet. If it wasn't a guppy it'd look cooler.

DSCF6134.JPG

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Fishing slowed down in NJ, water getting a little warm for stripers. Although got a few in the wash on a crab fly a few days ago, first for me.

Reactions: hal9000

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
West Marine Fleshlight
If I had to pick a saltwater fish to perform fellatio on me, snook would be a likely bet. They still have a sandpaper thing going on though. Thumb will get chafed a bit during a good day of catch and release wading. The ideal release is to lip the fish, unhook it, face it into the current, and it will typically close its mouth around your thumb, breathe, then swim off, sometimes with a f--k you splash.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Got some small snook off the mangroves Saturday evening. My advice for people fly fishing for gulp feeders like snook and bass, especially smaller fish, is to crimp/crush the barbs. Yeah, you might get jumped/head shaken off a bit more, but for me throwing a 5wt at fish basically guaranteed under 22" with most 14-18", they often hit these little flies so hard it winds up way down there, and going basically barbless or with just the bump, it's a much easier release with way less chance of damage.

Next up will be getting some bendbacks. I asked a guy at Black Fly Outfitters about this one time and he looked at me like I had 15 heads. Hadn't heard of the fly, couldn't get behind a hook-up baitfish. My logic is, it will snag less in the mangroves falling hook up, it will not snag on oysters or grass or stuff on the bottom as readily, and the snook will get it more often in the roof vs down towards the gills.

Got 4 false albacore on slow pitch jigs in 100' on Sunday. Fished with basically snook gear, 20# braid on 4500-5000 class reels. Skunked on snapper but they're closed, and on light gear the albies can fight like hell.

The gullet feared by the mullet. If it wasn't a guppy it'd look cooler.

View attachment 93294
english, please

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
english, please
Crimp (smash down with pliers) the barbs on your hooks just like everyone does when flyfishing so you can catch and release with a good healthy release without too much damage to the fish.

That is what is called "barbless" hooks and you can just let the little fella off the hook to go swim away without any real damage to live life to the fullest until it gets hooked again by some dumbass that doesn't know the rule of conduct for catch and release.

Reactions: Q_Surf

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
english, please
translations

mangrove = shrub or small tree that grows in coastal saline or brackish water

bendback = fly fishing lure, refers to the slight bend made on the hook shank at the throat of the fly

gullet = the passage by which food passes from the mouth to the stomach; the esophagus

snook, albacore (albies), snapper = types of fish

• Haha
Reactions: Q_Surf and afoaf