A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
My bro in law was just up at Courtright climbing...pretty epic. I go up every other week for work...any other spots to scope?
Thanks

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Contractor doing forestry work...we just like to explore and fish after work...went down to the San Joaquin gorge last week but it was closed...

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
People here eat a lot of fish. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, and in between. The prices I see here, well my wife sees - El Ogro doesn’t shop, are way less - 200 pesos/10 bucks a kilo would be high for most fresh fish. This would be in Zihuatanejo. We’re having medallions de atún tonight.

Nobody is catching anything locally. That should change when it rains enough for the river to blow out.

Fishermen are all fvckin liars. Myself included. Some lie more than others. Keenfish and QSurf come to mind.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Contractor doing forestry work...we just like to explore and fish after work...went down to the San Joaquin gorge last week but it was closed...
You guys have done tons of logging lately. Most I've seen in a lifetime up there.

Explore Reddinger Lake area for fishing. Check out exact geographical center of CA for fun. It's very close to the lake and has geo marker. Also google 'million dollar road stevenson'. Beautiful waterfall. Worth the walk or bicycle ride.

Below Reddinger check out Kerckhoff Lake. There is a trail on east end of lake to go upstream a bit where San Joaquin flows in. Watch out for rattlers of course.

Shaver, take road to Dinkey. Turn off at 37°05'49.9"N 119°16'17.6"W and take dirt road to back of lake. Park at bridge, walk across, and hike into the cove where river flows in. Some big trout hang out back there. You probably work at this spot since so much logging happening back there.

Courtright, if you want to hike, check out Helms Creek trail on east side, or Cliff Lakes trail on west side. Cliff lakes leads to a handful of epic small lakes and some small mountain peaks you can summit such as Dogtooth. Also, there is a cave nearby, and an old dry riverbed/waterfall area where you can find natural crystals. I don't want to say exactly where but maybe you can explore near one of these small lakes and discover something awesome.

Wishon, drive across dam, follow road to dirt turn off for Rancheria Trailhead (left u-turn). Drive to 37°00'16.5"N 118°56'36.6"W. There is volcanic rock looking formation. Climb to the top with some beers, and enjoy the sunset 1500' above Wishon.

Wishon, drive across dam to this spot. 36°59'15.0"N 118°58'09.6"W. There is hidden trail behind the campground. Short trail, maybe a mile to this awesome tiny hidden waterfall. Don't go past the waterfall as it's all private property.

Also, if you could, on the Rancheria Road above Wishon, please take one of your chainsaws and clear a tree for me. You'll know which one it is, when it scrapes the sh!t out of the side and top of your vehicle when you drive under it. Also, pack it in, pack it out. Don't leave anything but footprints, please. :shaka:

Last edited:

tsenn

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 11, 2004
san diego
Great info! I'm on the consulting side...marking hazard trees, fire access roads, fuel reduction...easy stuff, just walk around and paint and flag...I'll look for the tree though!

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
Probably Florence. Still closed according to my inlaws but I'm not sure about access to primitive camping.
Typical inlaws. So misinformed. :ROFLMAO:

Kaiser Pass to Florence/Edison is open.

The following campgrounds are OPEN
  • -Mono Creek Campground
  • -Mono Hot Springs Campground
  • -Vermillion Campground
  • -Ward Lake Campground
Jackass Meadow Campground is still CLOSED. However, you can offroad across the river at 37°17'00.1"N 118°57'43.8"W where dispersed camping is allowed. However, campfire restrictions are in effect and to operate gas/propane stove stuff, you will need a permit.

When crossing, get out of vehicle and check water levels. Make sure you have 4WD with decent clearance. And don't slow down if the water is high.

You can also do dispersed camping around Florence Lake, if you take one of the trails around the lake.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBerry

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
You guys have done tons of logging lately. Most I've seen in a lifetime up there.

Explore Reddinger Lake area for fishing. Check out exact geographical center of CA for fun. It's very close to the lake and has geo marker. Also google 'million dollar road stevenson'. Beautiful waterfall. Worth the walk or bicycle ride.

Below Reddinger check out Kerckhoff Lake. There is a trail on east end of lake to go upstream a bit where San Joaquin flows in. Watch out for rattlers of course.

Shaver, take road to Dinkey. Turn off at 37°05'49.9"N 119°16'17.6"W and take dirt road to back of lake. Park at bridge, walk across, and hike into the cove where river flows in. Some big trout hang out back there. You probably work at this spot since so much logging happening back there.

Courtright, if you want to hike, check out Helms Creek trail on east side, or Cliff Lakes trail on west side. Cliff lakes leads to a handful of epic small lakes and some small mountain peaks you can summit such as Dogtooth. Also, there is a cave nearby, and an old dry riverbed/waterfall area where you can find natural crystals. I don't want to say exactly where but maybe you can explore near one of these small lakes and discover something awesome.

Wishon, drive across dam, follow road to dirt turn off for Rancheria Trailhead (left u-turn). Drive to 37°00'16.5"N 118°56'36.6"W. There is volcanic rock looking formation. Climb to the top with some beers, and enjoy the sunset 1500' above Wishon.

Wishon, drive across dam to this spot. 36°59'15.0"N 118°58'09.6"W. There is hidden trail behind the campground. Short trail, maybe a mile to this awesome tiny hidden waterfall. Don't go past the waterfall as it's all private property.

Also, if you could, on the Rancheria Road above Wishon, please take one of your chainsaws and clear a tree for me. You'll know which one it is, when it scrapes the sh!t out of the side and top of your vehicle when you drive under it. Also, pack it in, pack it out. Don't leave anything but footprints, please. :shaka:
not entirely. They said jackass meadow
Typical inlaws. So misinformed. :ROFLMAO:

Kaiser Pass to Florence/Edison is open.

The following campgrounds are OPEN
  • -Mono Creek Campground
  • -Mono Hot Springs Campground
  • -Vermillion Campground
  • -Ward Lake Campground
Jackass Meadow Campground is still CLOSED. However, you can offroad across the river at 37°17'00.1"N 118°57'43.8"W where dispersed camping is allowed. However, campfire restrictions are in effect and to operate gas/propane stove stuff, you will need a permit.

When crossing, get out of vehicle and check water levels. Make sure you have 4WD with decent clearance. And don't slow down if the water is high.

You can also do dispersed camping around Florence Lake, if you take one of the trails around the lake.
well not entirely informed. Jackass meadows is closed which is where they'd like to stay. We're more than willing to stay down the creek but that really sucks about the fire restrictions ;(

Dang have you sever seen that creek crossing impassable? Never heard of them talking about that and they've been going for 50 plus years.

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
not entirely. They said jackass meadow

well not entirely informed. Jackass meadows is closed which is where they'd like to stay. We're more than willing to stay down the creek but that really sucks about the fire restrictions ;(

Dang have you sever seen that creek crossing impassable? Never heard of them talking about that and they've been going for 50 plus years.
Yes, I've seen it impassible after heavy winters and late winters, but only in the Spring. Sometimes it will get debris such as logs and rocks in the way. Always visually check it first to be safe. I've also been going up there a lifetime but not as old as your inlaws :)

The fire restrictions I think may be a permanent thing, after the past giant wildfires in CA.

The crossing.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Yes, I've seen it impassible after heavy winters and late winters, but only in the Spring. Sometimes it will get debris such as logs and rocks in the way. Always visually check it first to be safe. I've also been going up there a lifetime but not as old as your inlaws :)

The fire restrictions I think may be a permanent thing, after the past giant wildfires in CA.

The crossing.

Yep! The whole family has swam in the hole just to the left, and caught many o' fish there. crazy, first time I went there I had just met my wife and they took me there. That whole region has the best car camping I know of.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017

Thanks for the EPIC info! copy paste this for the future!
Edison Lake area is always fun, skate the overflow up to the lake if its empty!
Take the free? ferry across the lake and fish the inlet. If you stay up there, you can ferry across the lake like a backpacker, camp overnight and fish, ferry back the next day!

Reactions: afoaf and tsenn