A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
On a fly? That’s cool. Generally a bottom feeder do you use a sinking fly of some sort? Forgive my ignorance I’ve only fly fished a few times, 30 years ago near telluride. Never knew you could go after fluke on a fly rod

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
On a fly? That’s cool. Generally a bottom feeder do you use a sinking fly of some sort? Forgive my ignorance I’ve only fly fished a few times, 30 years ago near telluride. Never knew you could go after fluke on a fly rod
You get them right in the wash, also I was using a sinking line and weighted fly to get it under the wave action.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Sick. Supposedly they’re active right now off a particular pier on backside channel of LB. May go sink some clams for an hour tomorrow at sunrise. Even got some fun tiny summer longboard waves today. Fresh fluke is tasty business

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Got one nice bass on the fly this morning, saw many others cruising the wash with clear water, had follows but they would not eat. Like the old saying goes if you can see them, they can see you and usually don't eat.

Reactions: Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
i ended up logging for a couple of hours this morning. At least i think i was logging. Handful of thigh high set waves in 90 minutes lol. but that's an entire thigh bone bigger than it's been most of the last few weeks, and the morning sun was gorgeous. Sprinted around the outside a handful of times to get my heart rate up at least. Probably looked pretty cool doing so :rolleyes:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Went up the street after the afternoon rain. Browned out and lost internet so it was a pretty deece one.

Got a small jack to hit the silver kastmaster, had him in ankle deep water and almost lost an eye after he shook off. Swear something was following him, thought I saw a big push that wasn't from him. Missed another small fish or two on the spoon. Saw a tarpon, threw on mirrodine, no dice. Switched to a pink jig with a sandflea fishbites - lots of sand fleas (mole crabs) of late here. Got some hits but not much, then got a flounder to eat. First one I've ever caught in the surf. Got tired of jig and finished off with mirromullet surface walker. Didn't expect anything but saw what I am almost positive was a small trout missing it short, then got hit pretty good up top shallow, wound up being a slightly overslot fish, probably the biggest one I've got in the surf.

Definitely the worst photography ever, but I don't like to handle fish I'm releasing much, light was pretty low, yet shitloads of people on beach and I could see them stopping and just didn't want to get hassled.

DSCF6136.JPG
DSCF6138.JPG

Reactions: Q_Surf and mundus

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The thread title pun would be damn near unforgivable for anyone not named hal.

I think i caught these on a silver krocodile this past winter. I love surf casting. I don't really fish anymore back here at home. Its just not the same. I keep telling myself I need to get a kayak and go jig up some rockfish off the reef out front but I just haven't gotten around to it. I want one of those fancy hobies but they aren't cheap.20191207_074410.jpg

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
^^ Just tested/demoed a few of the Hobie fishing kayaks. Tested them in a river though, not the ocean. Talked to a guy with one that came in, said the peddle option is amazing, and talked to another guy who said too expensive. Those things are like Cadillacs, so smooth and easy to steer and freaking $$$! 3K for the awesome, loaded, not even top of the line kayak. It would be t!ts, but doubt I would use it enough. Ocean trips would be a combo of time to do it + calm conditions. Lakes and river would see more action, but could make do with arm paddling probably.

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
^^ Just tested/demoed a few of the Hobie fishing kayaks. Tested them in a river though, not the ocean. Talked to a guy with one that came in, said the peddle option is amazing, and talked to another guy who said too expensive. Those things are like Cadillacs, so smooth and easy to steer and freaking $$$! 3K for the awesome, loaded, not even top of the line kayak. It would be t!ts, but doubt I would use it enough. Ocean trips would be a combo of time to do it + calm conditions. Lakes and river would see more action, but could make do with arm paddling probably.
Every once in a while they pop up on c-list for a decent price like 2k or so but it's still a lot of dough and like you I'm not sure I'd use it enough to justify the cost. I'd only be able to use it on smaller, calm days and those are often surf days. I might just get something smaller and lighter weight that I can carry down a trail by myself because there are some rad spots about 20 min away that no one fishes because of access. There are these sea caves that you can only access from the ocean side but on a calm day you can go in there and slay the fish. I know they are loaded because an older friend of mine, one of the local fishing gurus told me about them. He always gave me the hot tips and never steered me wrong (RIP).

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
I have the fancy Hobie one with the foot pedals. 13' and it's insanely good. Super stable and really fast. So easy to cover serious distance. Hands free is the best thing ever. Super sturdy design and all the extra parts feel really durable.

However, heavy as hell at more than 70lbs and I can barely load it myself on my vehicle because it's so awkward of shape. It's almost too heavy for my SUV roof, which I think is actually rated to hold less weight. Would be easier for me to load if I had a stupidly overpriced $75,000 Ford F150 Limited. If you are older, with back problems, you might even have trouble loading the thing onto a trailer. It's that heavy. Even dragging it up the sand is a bitch.

Bought used off craiglist for about 30% off sticker price. Those CL guys will not budge on price. Your best bet to get lucky with a wife selling her ex's or something and maybe she doesn't know what it's worth.

Also, last year the patent design ran out on the foot pedal design for Hobie. So now all the other kayak manufacturers can copy it. But Hobie rolled out a new upgraded foot pedal design which works even better, and of course the new one is patented.

So be sure to look at other manufacturers now as they are sure to have foot pedal versions as well. Before, it used to be mostly a Hobie thing. But imho, they are too overpriced now and the competition offers just as good kayaks for half the price.

Also, you will never go as much as you want. Sometimes you just don't feel like loading it all up and going to the beach or lake. It's a lot of work. Then hosing it all down when you get home to keep it nice. Takes up a lot of room in the garage or like me where I store in the side of house in the shade. Seen many on CL over the years, after a few years ownership, and used less than 10x. Owner always says same thing. We just don't use it as much as we thought we would. It's the same with jet skis and snowmobiles.

I want to get his new Hobie design but there is no way in hell i'm spending $5k on a kayak. I don't go enough to justify the cost.

Last edited:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Buddy of mine is a Hobie dealer. He's got a Hobie peddle powered boat in his showroom that is $4,800 plus tax without the trailer you need to haul the darned thing. I lifted one end of it and its heavy. Definitely need to trailer this thing like a boat. At that point, why wouldn't you just buy a boat off of craigslist?

I have two kayaks. One is a nice one, a Wilderness 120 Tarpon and the other is a low end Perception Tribe 9.5 footer that I bought used for my kids. A lot of times I wind up just taking the little 9.5 because its so light and easy to transport. That little Tribe is actually a really nice paddling yak and is probably more stable than my Tarpon.

Any way you slice it with a kayak you always have to pay close attention to the wind and tide and a lot of times I can't go where I want when I want. I've got a city kayak launch about 300 yards from my house but the tide rips one direction for 4 hours then you get some slack and then it rips the opposite direction for four hours. I have to plan around that and the wind to make sure I can get back to where I started. Those handful of times a year when it all comes together are pretty cool though. Spent 5 hours yesterday on the yak doing a combination crabbing and floundering trip. It was a good day even though I only brought home enough meat for one meal.

Reactions: HarryLopez

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Went up the street after the afternoon rain. Browned out and lost internet so it was a pretty deece one.

Got a small jack to hit the silver kastmaster, had him in ankle deep water and almost lost an eye after he shook off. Swear something was following him, thought I saw a big push that wasn't from him. Missed another small fish or two on the spoon. Saw a tarpon, threw on mirrodine, no dice. Switched to a pink jig with a sandflea fishbites - lots of sand fleas (mole crabs) of late here. Got some hits but not much, then got a flounder to eat. First one I've ever caught in the surf. Got tired of jig and finished off with mirromullet surface walker. Didn't expect anything but saw what I am almost positive was a small trout missing it short, then got hit pretty good up top shallow, wound up being a slightly overslot fish, probably the biggest one I've got in the surf.

Definitely the worst photography ever, but I don't like to handle fish I'm releasing much, light was pretty low, yet shitloads of people on beach and I could see them stopping and just didn't want to get hassled.

View attachment 93514
View attachment 93515
You fish any freshwater, always wanted to tangle with those Florida largemouth on the flyrod.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Aruka trout/flattie btfo my trout/flattie

So that is a Corvina?

You fish any freshwater, always wanted to tangle with those Florida largemouth on the flyrod.
I don't make enough of an effort lately; all the easy access I have is to salt. My mom used to live in a development where you could fish in the ponds and I caught quite a few bass in there, also got my only tarpon hookup on fly above panfish-size. I've been meaning to try to figure out shore access to largemouth, sunshine, and striper.

Also if you're in Central Florida, there's a decent chance the easiest places to find bigger snook and tarpon are freshwater spots. Spillways, canals up rivers, etc. Those fight better than bass, and if you're in South Florida proper, that can get even better along with stuff like peacock bass, clown knifes, oscar, cichlids, tilapia, snakeheads...

But yeah, bass are surprisingly common in rando bodies of freshwater all over Florida, and imho they're easy to catch. I may have caught more bass than anything else on fly, and snook is the only thing that's close.

Reactions: mundus