A thread about fishing.....just for the halibut.....

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I suppose that's a nice thing about shore diving and I enjoy it and don't see it as a hassle (offshore fishing included). I don't do much offshore h&l fishing and rarely take more than 1 fish on a shore dive, but I understand that. I'll get a halibut or WSB from my dive spot to the carving board in under 1 hour, filleted, portioned and vac sealed and in the freezer in about another hour. They are gutted and bled before they get to shore so part of the work is done, no guts/stank to deal with. Even a medium size fish like halibut, WSB and YT will yield enough meat for several meals so it's fully worth it, and free. I also prefer to buy whole, gutted fish and do the same. Way cheaper.

Reactions: the janitor

Watervalley

OTF status
Dec 27, 2016
Huh
dolphin is fantastic , till Flipper came out and everybody freaked out and they are basically eating all the fish in the ocean

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I suppose that's a nice thing about shore diving and I enjoy it and don't see it as a hassle (offshore fishing included). I don't do much offshore h&l fishing and rarely take more than 1 fish on a shore dive, but I understand that. I'll get a halibut or WSB from my dive spot to the carving board in under 1 hour, filleted, portioned and vac sealed and in the freezer in about another hour. They are gutted and bled before they get to shore so part of the work is done, no guts/stank to deal with. Even a medium size fish like halibut, WSB and YT will yield enough meat for several meals so it's fully worth it, and free. I also prefer to buy whole, gutted fish and do the same. Way cheaper.
Word but you probably have all the gear already, and room for it. I live in a small box and drive a small box and I don't even have a hose.

:ROFLMAO::oops::oops: You eat dolphin??
Yes, so do lots of other people, they just call it something goofy.

Reactions: Watervalley

SteveT

Phil Edwards status
Apr 11, 2005
Unfortunately, Dorado (or as East Coasters call 'em, Dolphin) doesn't freeze very well, always best fresh. Love me some Dorado tacos down in Baja.

Reactions: the janitor

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Typically when I catch a fish I deem worth the work of keeping (12-15#+ red snapper, dolphin, king mackerel, blackfin tuna) I am visiting my parents, going out on my friend's boat in Central Florida. My parents normally want to have dinner plans made 10-20 years in advance, so "I'll see what I catch if I catch" is a good way to ruin my weekend. Then I'd have to get a cooler, get ice for it, drain and change it probably 5-6 times, to eat a fish caught Saturday-day on Monday evening. Then I have to go buy a vac-bagger and freeze the rest, and I've seen plenty of fish in the grocery store, nevermind the market, probably commercially flash-frozen, that's the match of home-frozen fish.

Otherwise, to go through the hassle for an inshore fish, by the time I get done getting a cooler, getting ice for it, putting the ice in it, lugging it around, cleaning the fish, washing out the cooler, cooking the fish, and doing the dishes, I'd be better off going to a restaurant and ordering fish. It's easily an hour of work and I'm not spending an hour's worth of work ordering fish at 99.9% of restaurants that would seat me. Nevermind cooking prepped fish at home. I can go get a salmon fillet, put some oil on it, butter, lemon, white wine, herbs of my choosing, done with hilariously less work/time spent.

Unless it's a full on, waste the whole day purposely fishing, 30-45+ minute run offshore, I want to take some bong rips, grab a few lures and flies and the pliers, and just go. I don't want a stringer of fish hanging off me when I'm wading, turning to dogshit in 80 degree water, and probably getting picked off by a shark, scaring the living sh!t out of me, at minimum. I don't want to lug a cooler all the damn way down onto the beach, then have to keep my head on a swivel to prevent someone from stealing/dumping/being human it because I was more than 5 feet away and they didn't know it was mine although they're mad at me for calling them the son of a jizz dumpster from 150 yards away after the 4th time they looked at me screaming at them to leave my property be.
what a ball ache.

I've got rods in the car always rigged, nickel and diming blues all the time.

keep the fillets moving through, always a feed there when I need it.

vac bag the mulloway and tuna and freeze for later on.

swap fish for all kinds of goodies.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
I love Calico Bass. Best eating fish here local as far as I'm concerned but they are not available to buy. You have to catch them yourself and they are delicious.
I know they are a no no by local sport guys who want you to C&R all Calicos which I normally do because they are fun to C&R but about once or twice a year we kill a few because.. we like to eat them.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I feel the same way, about the hassle with bait and coolers and cleaning up... I used to love this stuff, but any more with my job and long kayak paddles and the occasional surf days and all it's sometimes too easy to skip. I do keep a bass rod and an inshore rod plus basic fresh and saltwater tackle boxes in my truck. I also keep a catchsurf 54" and dafins in there, plus a beach chair and a sand spikes just in case.

We got skunked on the snakeheads the other day, I think it may be a spawning issue or the water was too muddy, but for 5 hours we tried. Covered at least 2 miles of shoreline at a nearby wildlife refuge. Will have another go later in the week.
It's almost time to handline for blue crabs, call it chicken-necking.

Reactions: keenfish

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
You don’t hear chicken necking that often...I know what it is but most would not

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Tie some chicken necks to a line. Toss the line into a brackish water known to carry blues, wait a bit, retrieve the line with ideally several stubborn hungry blue claws clinging to the necks. Repeat as needed

Reactions: keenfish

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
what a ball ache.

I've got rods in the car always rigged, nickel and diming blues all the time.

keep the fillets moving through, always a feed there when I need it.

vac bag the mulloway and tuna and freeze for later on.

swap fish for all kinds of goodies.
S,

How is the fishing in your neck of the woods?

I would think good.

Fishing here is too hit and miss for an ADHD type like myself.

I know people that can fish for 15 hours and not catch a fish and be fine.

If I don't have a bite in the first 20 minutes, I have to start drinking, taking pills, and eating fried chicken, and singing to self regulate.

I think in my previous like I was not a fisherman.

I love it when the fish are biting.

Very exciting.

I love when I make eye contact in the clear water, and we both kind of freak out.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Pretty much the same here. Guys that do nothing but fish get their share, but the stroll down to the beach or pier every week or two and not catching sh!t gets boring. You really have to be on it

Reactions: mundus

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
It's no different than anything else. Put your time in and you will be rewarded. Times of waiting for reward may vary depending on what you are putting your time into.

Last edited:
Reactions: mundus

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
It's more about the quiet time. I spent a lot of hours on dad's friend's boats, Oahu and Kona, as a kid. Lot of 'fish feeding' by me in rough seas early on but got used to it. While not as exciting to not catch, the quiet time near water is priceless, especially now. Catching is just icing on the cake of mindful time spent.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
The fishing is good here.

I'm an opportunist, which means I'm rigged and ready to go at all times.

surf is fun and I see fish feeding, I go grab a rod and get a feed.

son is at the skatepark I walk across the road and if I see fish feeding, I get a fish or two.

I'm driving into town to do chores and I see fish working etc etc.

I only fish when success is highly likely and I rarely fish for more than 15-20 mins.

I'm not a lollygagger, except when kids/wife want to soak up time on the river, then I'm happy to lollygag.

otherwise, I fish when the fish are on and if nothing happens quickly I stop or go somewhere else.

It's amazing to me, how few people know how to catch a fish. If you are fishing when fish are feeding it's very, very easy.

I've fed my family and others since I was ten, so it's second nature to me.

99% of it is keeping your eyes open.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
S,

How is the fishing in your neck of the woods?

I would think good.

Fishing here is too hit and miss for an ADHD type like myself.

I know people that can fish for 15 hours and not catch a fish and be fine.

If I don't have a bite in the first 20 minutes, I have to start drinking, taking pills, and eating fried chicken, and singing to self regulate.

I think in my previous like I was not a fisherman.

I love it when the fish are biting.

Very exciting.

I love when I make eye contact in the clear water, and we both kind of freak out.
Go out in a boat with a fish finder and it's like playing a video game. You see the little blips, drop your line and in minutes you're pulling up something. My uncle could tell what was what by how they were clustered and how deep they were.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Go out in a boat with a fish finder and it's like playing a video game. You see the little blips, drop your line and in minutes you're pulling up something. My uncle could tell what was what by how they were clustered and how deep they were.
The guys with kayaks I talked to had fish finders. I'm more of the just read the depth maps, show up with a plan, and execute to start learning. Maybe invest in one later? Who knows.