14 Students and a teacher dead at a Texas Elementary School

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
1. There is no single, computer-searchable database for all registered firearms.

2. There should be a central database that background checks can be performed from.

3. There should be waiting periods for all firearm purchases.

4. Red Flag laws are less effective because of 1 and 2.

Many states have very specific laws for concealed carry that have been upheld as constitutional. It’s ridiculous that we can’t get some federal minimum standards for general firearms purchases.

Most people that purchase a firearm (legally) already own at least one, so it’s not like a waiting period is some massive violation of constitutional rights.

I know #1 is a non-starter for the gun crowd. Years of NRA brainwashing has convinced them that registration is the first step to confiscation. Like the government has the manpower or coordination to take hundreds of millions of weapons.

• Dislike
Reactions: Aruka and Ifallalot

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I could get on board with the idea that guns are not actually the problem.
The NRA is most likely one of the leading contributors to the problems of mass shootings - i would place a wager that the organization will be found to have been criminally liable for some gun related deaths.

• Dislike
Reactions: GromsDad

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
NRA funded by Russia, does anybody but Ifail think Russia has our best interest in mind when spending the dirty money. All part of their plan to divide and destroy us from within with help of are useful idiot citizens.

• Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Honcho?

BTW, you know what's funny? I used to give Charger fans a hard time about their inferiority complex towards LA but holy fook that wasn't fair at all because Giants fans are 100 times more touchy about anything LA related. Ironically, I get more Dodgers games on TV up here than I did down south.
My wife described the Giants fans as a cult when she lived with me in SC

Not gonna lie, now that I'm an ex-pat Giants fan, I see it

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
NRA funded by Russia, does anybody but Ifail think Russia has our best interest in mind when spending the dirty money. All part of their plan to divide and destroy us from within with help of are useful idiot citizens.
There's a legit group of richie riches and young people fermenting ideas that the USA should become something like a CEO/King lead style business/monarchy/dictatorship model and that it will enable more freedom and better lives for the people of this country.

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Does the stupid spectrum thing apply to the dodgers up there? Can’t believe thats still going on. We haven’t cut the cable yet solely cause my gf watches dodgers games religiously. I guess thats a small price to pay for a gf who appreciates baseball.
It's an MLB rule. I can get every single team except the Dbacks. That doesn't matter to me, but then they complain that every home game is an away game. This state is all transplants, but the MLB could help by stopping the stupid blackout rules

I have a friend who lives in TN and he has both Reds and Braves games blacked out. Neither are even remotely local to hime

Reactions: $kully

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
It's an MLB rule. I can get every single team except the Dbacks. That doesn't matter to me, but then they complain that every home game is an away game. This state is all transplants, but the MLB could help by stopping the stupid blackout rules

I have a friend who lives in TN and he has both Reds and Braves games blacked out. Neither are even remotely local to hime
Thankfully as a Yankees fan living in LA I have no blackouts unless they play in Anahymen

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
1. There is no single, computer-searchable database for all registered firearms.

2. There should be a central database that background checks can be performed from.

3. There should be waiting periods for all firearm purchases.

4. Red Flag laws are less effective because of 1 and 2.

Many states have very specific laws for concealed carry that have been upheld as constitutional. It’s ridiculous that we can’t get some federal minimum standards for general firearms purchases.

Most people that purchase a firearm (legally) already own at least one, so it’s not like a waiting period is some massive violation of constitutional rights.

I know #1 is a non-starter for the gun crowd. Years of NRA brainwashing has convinced them that registration is the first step to confiscation. Like the government has the manpower or coordination to take hundreds of millions of weapons.
Let’s run with that.

Next up: how to address existing firearms and their owners.

Phi1

Phil Edwards status
May 21, 2002
Hell Cajon, Ca
I could get on board with the idea that guns are not actually the problem.
The NRA is most likely one of the leading contributors to the problems of mass shootings - i would place a wager that the organization will be found to have been criminally liable for some gun related deaths.
Canadians can own many of the same type weapons as their neighbor to the south, however the rules for distribution are very different.

I’m not saying we need to do exactly as they do, just pointing out that the “type” of weapon isn’t the sole problem.

As to what to do with the existing unregistered toothpaste already out of the tube:

Give people the chance to register what they have. If people were only able to legally buy and sell registered firearms the only value an unregistered weapon would have is on the black market.

Then enforce stiff penalties for unregistered weapons.

:shrug:

None of that would happen without significant Republican buy-in. So none of that will happen.

See you at the next mass shooting thread! :drowning:

• Sad
Reactions: Aruka

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Canadians can own many of the same type weapons as their neighbor to the south, however the rules for distribution are very different.

I’m not saying we need to do exactly as they do, just pointing out that the “type” of weapon isn’t the sole problem.

As to what to do with the existing unregistered toothpaste already out of the tube:

Give people the chance to register what they have. If people were only able to legally buy and sell registered firearms the only value an unregistered weapon would have is on the black market.

Then enforce stiff penalties for unregistered weapons.

:shrug:

None of that would happen without significant Republican buy-in. So none of that will happen.

See you at the next mass shooting thread! :drowning:
What is registering going to do?

CA has draconian gun laws, yet there are still mass shootings

This kid bought legal, registered guns for this school shooting

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
over a 3 day period an 18 yo can go buy enough firepower to hold off a bunch of local, state, and federal officers for an hour - great.

hey... you can too!

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
This kid bought legal, registered guns for this school shooting
Wow, you wrote that without an ounce of irony.

If the kid bought guns legally, like the vast majority of mass shooters, isn't it time to change the law? :poke:

NOOOOOOOO FREEEDUMBZZ