Surfboard volume = your weight / 6

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my dfr from 10yrs back was this volume, I weighed about the same. I also surfed every day and didn’t have a wife and kid yet.

If we are adding 5-10lbs for a wetsuits and handicap we start getting close for my shortboards.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Volume needs/wants are going to vary with how the surfer surfs as well. A more powerful surfer needs something to lay into. Too little volume and he has to back off re the force he is putting into his turns. He needs something that enables him to utilize his power. Something that pushes back a little. A big guy swings a bigger bat. If he uses a smaller one he's hamstringing his power advantage.

I used to get guys that would want to chase volume numbers out to the second decimal place. It's absurd. It's a valuable number, but it's hardly the end-all-be-all some people seem to think it is. That said, at 205-210 pounds, I hover around 40 liters. It all varies according to what the board is, what it was designed for, how I'm surfing and what it is being ridden in. Not that long ago I rode a tiny board that was in the sub 35 range, and the board went well in utter slop. The thing was so flat it was ridiculous.
I feel like i can push my lower volume boards harder.

Sharky

Phil Edwards status
Feb 25, 2006
I feel like i can push my lower volume boards harder.
It's easier to swing that little bat. But I would argue that once you figure it out, the result, the flow into the next maneuver, is better with higher volume. IMHO. To a point anyway. And there is how it feels vs how it looks.

Years ago, I milled a few boards to one of the better, larger pros. Watching him surf, I was convinced he'd surf better on more volume. Casual conversation with his father, he agreed with me. But the pro wasn't convinced. He liked the feel of the lower volume boards. Fast forward a couple of years and I saw a difference. Ran into dad. He confirmed that yes, he had finally convinced his son to incorporate a bit more volume into his boards. His turns looked more powerful, big maneuvers were linked with more speed. There was more flow. He didn't look as choppy. IMO, his average speed on a given wave had increased.

Smaller people have some advantages surfing. The only advantage a larger guy has is power. You can either attempt to surf like a little guy and beat him at his own game, or you can take the power end of your game to a point where the little guy has difficulty competing.

Or not. At the end of the day this is only surfing. And the only thing that really matters for most of us is how it feels.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
It's easier to swing that little bat. But I would argue that once you figure it out, the result, the flow into the next maneuver, is better with higher volume. IMHO. To a point anyway. And there is how it feels vs how it looks.

Years ago, I milled a few boards to one of the better, larger pros. Watching him surf, I was convinced he'd surf better on more volume. Casual conversation with his father, he agreed with me. But the pro wasn't convinced. He liked the feel of the lower volume boards. Fast forward a couple of years and I saw a difference. Ran into dad. He confirmed that yes, he had finally convinced his son to incorporate a bit more volume into his boards. His turns looked more powerful, big maneuvers were linked with more speed. There was more flow. He didn't look as choppy. IMO, his average speed on a given wave had increased.

Smaller people have some advantages surfing. The only advantage a larger guy has is power. You can either attempt to surf like a little guy and beat him at his own game, or you can take the power end of your game to a point where the little guy has difficulty competing.

Or not. At the end of the day this is only surfing. And the only thing that really matters for most of us is how it feels.
I probably look like sh!t when I surf.

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I used to be pretty consistent with volume, but after trying alot of different shapers I've noticed it doesnt always transfer. Good starting point, but I've had a few misses that I wish I had ordered differently. Sometimes the old under the arm can still be telling to lean me one way or another.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
dividing by 6 is mixing freedom units and real scientific measurements. If you want to keep it the same units it's L/kg so i.e 33L/78kg=0,42 for me. That way you get a meaningful fraction instead of just some number.

If you wanna stay compliant to the second ammendment then it'll be gallon surfboard/pounds weight and then whatever fraction you get from that.

Black

OTF status
Jan 1, 2015
UK
dividing by 6 is mixing freedom units and real scientific measurements. If you want to keep it the same units it's L/kg so i.e 33L/78kg=0,42 for me. That way you get a meaningful fraction instead of just some number.

If you wanna stay compliant to the second ammendment then it'll be gallon surfboard/pounds weight and then whatever fraction you get from that.
You forgot to add the silly spelling of Litres.
And you shot yourself in the foot by spelling amendment wrong.
You morans.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I used to be pretty consistent with volume, but after trying alot of different shapers I've noticed it doesnt always transfer. Good starting point, but I've had a few misses that I wish I had ordered differently. Sometimes the old under the arm can still be telling to lean me one way or another.
definite difference between shapers. I've found the most "true to size" for me is Pyzel

Reactions: trifish

nada2looz

OTF status
Mar 16, 2016
my buddy surfs very powerfully at a very high level and he rides very light low volume boards that i can't even paddle. he weighs about 185 and displaces buckets when he turns. he's just very good at generating speed quickly and puts a lot of the board in the water when he turns. i like a bit more than the equation says because it hurts my back to be too submerged when i'm paddling. i do think you can catch waves better when you're 'swimming' into them on small boards.

Reactions: npsp and jkb

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
185 so apparently I should be on about 31L.

Pretty close. 32-33L has been the shortboard sweet spot for me for a while. If I lived somewhere warmer I'd surf a little lower volume boards for sure.

I dont think lower volume boards have ever felt like they catch waves better to me.

I still see lots of people who look like they would benefit from a couple more liters.

Oct 5, 2021
It’s bang on for me at 95kg 210lbs and preferring 35L boards. I add a litre or so for my step ups which generally also crosses over with wearing a wetsuit and colder water in Aus. My small wave boards actually a bit less foam but ridding the Tomo mph you can get away with a bit less.

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
knowing my personal rail height range is much more useful than volume. mine is 42mm or 43mm measured 40mm in like this with vernier calipers at boar mid point. Same range for me for gravel, shorty and stap. Computer shapers can hit that measurement. Volume is good if thats all you got. This can happen when either you dont know your preferred rail height or ordering stoke dims without the ability to measure that model in shop. A history of boars with a local shaper would also work without knowing the actual numbers.

vernier.jpg

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
Never ever felt that either, nor seen it in in the flesh.

I think that is just a psychosomatic reaction that people riding low volume boards tell themselves.

Almost every CT level surfer looks better and surfs better on more volume.

Thats now well documented - exhibit A, B, C etc etc : JJF, Kolohe Andino, Jordy Smith, Ethan Ewing, Medina,. Italo, Barron Mamiya etc etc etc.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023
equation was dead on for what i was surfing a couple years ago. made the switch to very slightly longer, and a few more liters in my shortboards and quite a bit more in my step ups, and dont buy anything otr anymore. I always ask for lower/performance rails, and have felt its made a big enough difference with paddle and wave count without sacrificing performance.

havent seen video of myself on the bigger boards, but barrel riding feels better, turns and getting to the lip feel about the same, actually has made me go a little deeper with my bottom turns

Reactions: Mr J and Aruka

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Never ever felt that either, nor seen it in in the flesh.

I think that is just a psychosomatic reaction that people riding low volume boards tell themselves.

Almost every CT level surfer looks better and surfs better on more volume.

Thats now well documented - exhibit A, B, C etc etc : JJF, Kolohe Andino, Jordy Smith, Ethan Ewing, Medina,. Italo, Barron Mamiya etc etc etc.
JJF is about 180 pounds and rides a 27L ghost at TOH Pipeline.