The Official OBSF Support Group

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
One of the invitees DMed me super pissed about how it went down. He says Bianca and Sachi bombed the whole thing in some treacherous manner. Backstabbers, he called them.

UPDATE: He says they're back on with 24 girls now. He might be kidding, IDK.Wants me to give him a call to get the details. I'm not a part of that crew anymore, though, so I'll probably just stay out of it.
Funny thing is there are maybe 3 women who surf when its 2x overheard and up. Bianca is the only one that does it exceptionally. They would need to bring in talent from out of town to even have a heat let alone a womens comp defeating the purpose of having a local comp.

Reactions: Mandudebro

r32

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 1, 2005
Cambria
That's some bullshit. Can't fucking do anything these days without hurt feelings.

I say invite all the girls. The beach is big enough. 24 girls and 24 guys. And run one big heat with all 48 competitors in the water for 2 hours. I bet majority of girls won't even make it to the outside on a big day.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
:shrug: I only spent about 5 years surfing proper outer bar, but I didn't see many women out there on big days. if they want the best of the local crew in the water, there's no way to have half women. Committee got the top tier right for sure. There's one kid on the list who I was surprised to see. Definitely not a standout. A lot of the others on the list i recognize deserve to be there.

notable that Santa Cruz surfers were excluded.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
If this weren’t a local contest of 40-something year olds, none of whom have a career in surfing, maybe Bianca’s push for equality would appear noble. Gotta clear a path for the future even if their talent is limited.

but this is a local contest put on by a realtor… give it a rest bianca.

edit: maybe this was surf equity’s idea more than Bianca.

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
If this weren’t a local contest of 40-something year olds, none of whom have a career in surfing, maybe Bianca’s push for equality would appear noble. Gotta clear a path for the future even if their talent is limited.

but this is a local contest put on by a realtor… give it a rest bianca.
1000%

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
How has beach grit not covered this??

It'll be better if they don't.
I don't think the people trying to put it together want that type of attention.

Reading between the lines, I'm assuming it's Surf Equity, which is basically just some Louisana born, 'Bama bred woman that moved to Half Moon Bay, runs a design company, and was on the city council, with a god complex that ties herself to coattails of women that actually do things to feel accomplished.

I'm all for inclusivity, but she's clearly a kook that doesn't surf and doesn't get it. But she's swindled her way into making a bigger mess than this little scene can typically sustain. By tying her cause up with the Coastal Commission and other political elements, small events can get bullied around pretty quickly.

All that being said, I don't know anything that the event was going through. In hindsight, they could've kept it on the low and avoided a lot of this. It's not like any female surfers were actively offended. Bunch of white knights for a false cause. Bianca charges, but she's kind of a dork when it comes to this stuff, like most wannabe pros that couldn't make it.

Last edited:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Reading between the lines, I'm assuming it's Surf Equity, which is basically just some Louisana born, 'Bama bred woman that moved to Half Moon Bay, runs a design company, and was on the city council, with a god complex that ties herself to coattails of women that actually do things to feel accomplished.

I'm all for inclusivity, but she's clearly a kook that doesn't surf and doesn't get it. But she's swindled her way into making a bigger mess than this little scene can typically sustain. By tying her cause up with the Coastal Commission and other political elements, small events can get bullied around pretty quickly.
geez, I googled her and I'm sorry I did. :foreheadslap:

The only consolation is that even if the politics and the bvllshit strangles the contests and the money, anyone can still paddle out and catch waves if they want them bad enough. Surfing owes nobody a living.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008
Word is Sabrina from Surf Equity was the catalyst.
Yep, surfed with the organizer and some of the entrants and they all said she’s the instigator. I checked her instagram out and it’s a echo chamber of non surfing liberals backing her.

Funny thing is in a way she’s appropriating a culture which she is not a part of, does not understand its norms, customs, etc. Can’t we get her canceled for that? Oh wait it’s predominantly CIS white men so that does’nt apply.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Crazy. I'll admit, I was surprised to see this contest in the first place. It would have been cool if they opened it up to folks outside the "OB inner circle." Some of us don't want anything to do with that crowd.

If they opened it up and had a day dedicated to qualifying, I'd give it a crack for sure. That might have saved the whole thing from getting canceled.

Lol, Sabrina from Surf Equity, ever even heard of her or that organization.

I thought surfing was just about waves and surfboards :shrug:

Last edited:

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Crazy. I'll admit, I was surprised to see this contest in the first place. It would have been cool if they opened it up to folks outside the "OB inner circle." Some of us don't want anything to do with that crowd.

If they opened it up and had a day dedicated to qualifying, I'd give it a crack for sure. That might have saved the whole thing from getting canceled.

Lol, Sabrina from Surf Equity, ever even heard of her or that organization.

I thought surfing was just about waves and surfboards :shrug:

- The easiest thing to do is run a truly "open" IG submission event a la Digital Triple Crown. Awards at Pitts or Bearing West.
- Second easiest option is let anyone who wants in surf between ___ block and ___ block and get scored. Here's your jersey. We leave at noon. You could even filter it through a "open to residents of whatever parameters you want (boardriders rules). Awards at Pitts or Bearing West at 6pm.

The only consolation is that even if the politics and the bvllshit strangles the contests and the money, anyone can still paddle out and catch waves if they want them bad enough. Surfing owes nobody a living.
I've been a part of competitive surf stuff, on one level or another, for nearly 2 decades. I'm getting closer and closer to this conclusion every day.

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
There used to be an informal contest in pre-COVID years. No clue who hosted it, but it was pretty scrappy. Guys from Pacifica to Marin — lots of the usual faces.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
There used to be an informal contest in pre-COVID years. No clue who hosted it, but it was pretty scrappy. Guys from Pacifica to Marin — lots of the usual faces.
Seen them a few times during Winter. A couple of folding tables, jerseys, and a bullhorn were about it—setup in the dunes off Irving. I don't think I ever saw them get decent surf.