The Official OBSF Support Group

Dec 5, 2020
SF
just about everyone i know who truly charges wears a helmet. mostly its about board to the head.
that and hitting the water at high speed. you rarely penetrate so the helmet is not making for greater potential injury but it does reduce the risk of rupturing an eardrum on impact.
really should be wearing helmets more on non critical days. i have friend in his early 30's who surfing days are done due a head injury sustained on a head high day.
you guys post like you havent been concussed enough times to understand the benefit of helmets
Not sure I meet your threshold of concussions to speak on the matter, but I’m pretty familiar with high speed crashes on various surfaces, and I’m not sure I see how a helmet is going to prevent concussion in the water (aside from board to head contact).

Seems like a concussion is a deceleration injury in this setting- ie. brain rattling in skull after rapid decel. I know water gets hard at high speed, but it’s not acktuuaaally like concrete, or even packed snow.

How does a helmet help with the rapid decel? Particularly any of the surf helmet offerings? These aren’t motorcycle grade brain buckets, or even MIPS equipped cycling/snow sport versions. If anything, the additional surface area would seem to exacerbate if anything.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Not sure I meet your threshold of concussions to speak on the matter, but I’m pretty familiar with high speed crashes on various surfaces, and I’m not sure I see how a helmet is going to prevent concussion in the water (aside from board to head contact).

Seems like a concussion is a deceleration injury in this setting- ie. brain rattling in skull after rapid decel. I know water gets hard at high speed, but it’s not acktuuaaally like concrete, or even packed snow.

How does a helmet help with the rapid decel? Particularly any of the surf helmet offerings? These aren’t motorcycle grade brain buckets, or even MIPS equipped cycling/snow sport versions. If anything, the additional surface area would seem to exacerbate if anything.

again, this has always been what I was leery of

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015

I tend to agree.

The benefits of wearing Helmets when on harder surfaces is clear cut, no pun intended. You could split your head open on a rock or grind your skin off..

Almost seems like a helmet would offer increased resistance on water than a bare head would, perhaps resulting in even more abrupt de-acceleration..??..

I would say helmets in the water are all about contact with boards or the bottom.

Reactions: Bob Dobbalina

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
Thought the invitees are/were just a bunch of people who all know each other, so a contest of friends and friends of friends?

Reactions: bluengreen

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
One of the invitees DMed me super pissed about how it went down. He says Bianca and Sachi bombed the whole thing in some treacherous manner. Backstabbers, he called them.

UPDATE: He says they're back on with 24 girls now. He might be kidding, IDK.Wants me to give him a call to get the details. I'm not a part of that crew anymore, though, so I'll probably just stay out of it.

Last edited: