The Official OBSF Support Group

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
T.I. is where they filmed the zeppelin scene in #3 of the series from Raiders of Lost Ark.

US military said no to Spielberg's request to fly Nazi flags on the building, so they were digitally added in later.

This told to me by the friends who used to live on T.I., but based on the movie scene, the Nazi flags are digital....

View attachment 160248

PS
Now they have flea market weekends in the building.
TI Flea is in the building now? The one time I went it was way on the other side of the island and I found myself driving around the old military housing and feeling sad.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The flea market was in the building last time I was being curious about checking it out....5 yrs ago about. Am closer to the Alemany St flea market every Sunday, so if I have an itch to see counterfeit goods, I don't need to go so far.

Actually, from what I recall, the T.I. flea market was a bit more 'crafty' and less 'junky'.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
The flea market was in the building last time I was being curious about checking it out....5 yrs ago about. Am closer to the Alemany St flea market every Sunday, so if I have an itch to see counterfeit goods, I don't need to go so far.

Actually, from what I recall, the T.I. flea market was a bit more 'crafty' and less 'junky'.

A little too crafty for me.
I still need to hit the Alemany Market

Reactions: Mr Doof

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
OBSF people.

How often do you go anywhere else to find a wave? Other than sneaking around the corner, I largely never leave anymore. It's out front or nothing. Which often means it's nothing with a working man's commuter schedule. Granted, having young kids is a big factor here.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
OBSF people.

How often do you go anywhere else to find a wave? Other than sneaking around the corner, I largely never leave anymore. It's out front or nothing. Which often means it's nothing with a working man's commuter schedule. Granted, having young kids is a big factor here.
Almost never. Thoughts and prayers it will clean up, checking it throughout the day, but we know how that goes.:toilet:

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
OBSF people.

When I lived in the Mission, probably once a month. When I lived in Outer Sunset, a few times a year. Even getting to deads felt like a trek at the end.

tacos

Michael Peterson status
Feb 12, 2006
LB —> SF
In my full year of living here, I haven’t once.

In fact, I’ve got a little gap of time off so I surfed the past 7 days straight. Didn’t bother to check the cam cause I knew I’d talk myself out of it. Kelly’s felt more like Huntington pier for most of the last week with how crowded it had been. I surfed knee high boat wakes alone this morning, so those of you checking didn’t miss a thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Doof
Dec 5, 2020
SF
Maybe 5% of the time? Only for pretty defined reasons though- South winds b/f approaching rain storms; chasing South swells during summer; big NW swells going 3/4x+ OH and not wanting to drown; relentless blown out onshore disorganized shitwaves (ie. April ‘23-now)…

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Anyone noticing a lot more people wearing helmets? Even on non-serious days I see people rocking skateboard helmets
I've been wondering if helmets are actually more likely to cause injury in the water than prevent them.

I mean sure, a big impact onto the reef and you're glad you had the helmet on.

I'm talking about the much more likely scenario where you drop in and poke your nose or maybe a full speed fin catch where you get thrown over the handlebars and you need to penetrate the water.

Wouldn't you be more likely to come away with a neck injury due to the bulbousness of the helmet not penetrating the water as easily?

Reactions: Yewstreet

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
I've been wondering if helmets are actually more likely to cause injury in the water than prevent them.

I'm talking about the much more likely scenario where you drop in and poke your nose or maybe a full speed fin catch where you get thrown over the handlebars and you need to penetrate the water.

Wouldn't you be more likely to come away with a neck injury due to the bulbousness of the helmet not penetrating the water as easily?
I agree with you on this, I feel like it would add extra weight to your head and maybe make for worse impacts/whiplash?

Reactions: jkb

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

That's what I've always thought.
Protects from a board to the head ar a reef/rock situation. In crowded lineups or shallow reefs, I can understand.

It never made sense to me in anything else

Reactions: jkb and Yewstreet

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
That's what I've always thought.
Protects from a board to the head ar a reef/rock situation. In crowded lineups or shallow reefs, I can understand.

It never made sense to me in anything else
just about everyone i know who truly charges wears a helmet. mostly its about board to the head.
that and hitting the water at high speed. you rarely penetrate so the helmet is not making for greater potential injury but it does reduce the risk of rupturing an eardrum on impact.
really should be wearing helmets more on non critical days. i have friend in his early 30's who surfing days are done due a head injury sustained on a head high day.
you guys post like you havent been concussed enough times to understand the benefit of helmets

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
just about everyone i know who truly charges wears a helmet. mostly its about board to the head.
that and hitting the water at high speed. you rarely penetrate so the helmet is not making for greater potential injury but it does reduce the risk of rupturing an eardrum on impact.
really should be wearing helmets more on non critical days. i have friend in his early 30's who surfing days are done due a head injury sustained on a head high day.
you guys post like you havent been concussed enough times to understand the benefit of helmets
I wear a hockey helmet at all times.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

Just get a pointy helmet. Easy penetration!

rBNaOWEMz_aAUu_wAADDt9li_LQ995.jpg