The Official OBSF Support Group

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
If anyone is heading to the beach around 7:30 tomorrow morning, say hello. I'll be looking for a decent high tide sandbar.

And Lohena, yes, I surfed MLK weekend. I waited too long Sunday and tried to paddle out middle beach at low tide only to get cleaned up just as I reached the outside bowl around Noriega. VFWs was probably a better call. Monday was killer, too. I feel like we've had a pretty spotty winter so far after a good fall. A few days here and there but not consistent run of solid swell and clean conditions. Hoping February delivers!

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
If anyone is heading to the beach around 7:30 tomorrow morning, say hello. I'll be looking for a decent high tide sandbar.

And Lohena, yes, I surfed MLK weekend. I waited too long Sunday and tried to paddle out middle beach at low tide only to get cleaned up just as I reached the outside bowl around Noriega. VFWs was probably a better call. Monday was killer, too. I feel like we've had a pretty spotty winter so far after a good fall. A few days here and there but not consistent run of solid swell and clean conditions. Hoping February delivers!
How was it on a high tide this morning? Hope you scored a few.

Yea that MLK day was an ego blow for me, but I've had a few more manageable days since to get my groove back. I’m definitely noticing I’m out of breath more easily as I’m getting older.

This group will probably help my marriage. Since we moved up here, my only surf buddy is my wife, who doesn’t surf and can’t stand talking about surfing. Despite that, I spend hours giving her tedious breakdowns of my sessions and long detailed lectures on board design.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Collection of less than glorious moments at the Beach (those that mention kelp or reef are not at the Beach).

**********************************************************************************
This one from 2008?

I should really have kept a copy of my "10 worst wipe-out" post from a few years back....if only the search function worked better.

Still, I think I can summon a few wipe-outs from the long term memory:

1 Decent overhead hurricane swell, after work, rail sandwich, am forced to leave water only view through tears of pain as Friend #1 and Friend #2 rip it up for another hour.
2 Big day, leash breaks, swim in, get thrashed on the inside bar and then in shorebreak, see those red and black spots as I emerge the ocean
3 Medium size day, hard offshore, held up, late air drop, destroy front ankle as board pearls while I try to fight from going over the front...too much force for the ankle to withstand and I go ever the front
4 Big day, late drop, fall through board upon sticking the landing..fiberglass scrapes on nose and back of head.
5 Tangled in kelp and whipped by mace-like kelp bulbs.
6 Tangles in kelp, held under for 2nd wave, inhaled lots of water that time
7 Giant day, swept off cliff rocks by set and "washed" along the inside reef.
8 Giant day, take off on what could have been the biggest of the set waves, channel closes out, am forced to straighten out, leash breaks in the ensuing mashdown, am now in impact zone for rest of the set...each wave I try to swim under drags me up and over. Tunnel vision and hacking up watery fluids by the time I stumble and roll ashore.
9 Cobblestone left point, bottom turn blown, rolled along bottom hitting TV and bowling ball sized smooth rocks. Everytime I try to push up, cobblestones give way under my feet and water too full of airbubbles (so it is not as dense as non-bubbly water) to support my mass...feels like I am drowning inches from the surface.
10 Fall, get hog-tied to board by leash, but not tight enough to bind the board so that it can't whack me. Get hit by a few other waves as I try to get free of leash; each wave causes the board to strike me about the face, head, neck, armpit, while the fins jab me in the thigh.
11 Push my neck and vertebrae to what feels like 0.1 mm from breaking in a dredging inside bar barrel...was certain I was coming out and then Whammo!

I am sure there are other wipe-outs, but these stand out in the moment.
****************************************************************************************

Or 2002 (link)?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Every year I seem to have a bit of trouble at the Beach and as such, it is hard to pick out a single story.
But I've got a list of events, and in no particular order:

1) Pitched on the take off and fell about 10 feet into the flats. Came up with a cracked rib. Had to head to the shore immediately. Shooting pain on the bumpy belly ride in.

2) Floating take-off at VFW. Fell through my board upon landing it and jagged fiberglass edges scrape my nose and back of my head.

3) Spin out on bottom turn, over the falls twice with rail smashing my left jaw/ear joint. Nearly blacked out.

4) Deceptively large day has me out on the 7'6". Get cleaned up and my leash breaks. Have to swim under a number of sets with 12-18 foot faces and me only about 20 feet from the impact for each. Finally sense returns and realize that I'll never get in unless I let the sets blast me. So I let them. Then the overhead dredging shore break works me. I cough up and throw up sea water. My board is nowhere in sight. (later Friend #2 comes in with my board...he buckled his board on a fall, found mine, paddled in on that)

5) Sprained ankle on a late drop that I tried to ride out. Could not run out out of the shorebreak and took a massive blow to my back and ate sand; thought my neck was gonna break...didn't know my neck could bend that far back in such shallow water.

6) Nearly drowned...saw red and black spots. Make to shore in a daze and some guy on the parking lot goes "That was a terrible fall."

7) After exhausting paddle-out back out after a decent ride, I see a macking set march in. Adrenalin flows and I get the topsey-turvey stomache and my "hackles" rise. I have to force myself to steady my breathing and relax as I take about 5 waves on my head. By the time it is over, I have a bloody nose and two tweaked shoulders. Next day it feels as if I've been given 20 blows about my head and shoulders with a 50's era longboard.

8) Medium size day, rail sandwich after a bit of chop gets me off balance on the take off. I don't even feel the next few sets hit me.

9) Fin cut nearly severs tendons and ligaments on my side of foot. Wearing no booties means the wound get full of sand en route across the filthy beach water. Washing it out later proves that biting a leather belt does provide a certain amount of pain relief/outlet.

10) BIG fall with the lip on my neck. Ears pop on the way through X number of feet down to the sand which I strike hard enough to knock the air right out of my lungs. I have the "can't catch my breath" feeling and feel sort of paralyzed, or pressed flat. The I feel weightless. Ears pop, and I realize I am going up. Suddenly sunlight. I think I get a smidgen of air in my lungs before I get pulled below. Jammed hard on the sand again, this time on my butt. (my spine remember this for a few days). Leash wraps around an arm and a upper leg and then tightens. Feels like I am having them cut off. More happens but it is all a little hazy. Stumble on shore and stagger about. Getting out of my wetsuit, I feel the left over remains of the fight or flight response which tells me how terrible it all truly was.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Lol about the wife. My situation exactly. Although I'm currently indoctrinating my 2 year old son with a skateboard and surf videos. Wetsuit and booties is already in his vocabulary. Found a couple of fun corners south of Sloat this morning, but nothing great. No gay sex, though I hung out in the stall of the Sloat bathroom with my fingers crossed! Come on, guys!

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Great post (re)post, Doof. That's commitment to charging the beach right there. I've been lucky not to cop any bad beatings this year .. yet. Had a fun one last year, though. Took out a 6'8 on a rapidly rising swell at low tide. Easiest paddle out of the season (18 sec interval), so I had no idea what was on the horizon. Found myself scrapping over the first three waves of a four wave set. Everyone else was on the shoulder, but as luck would have it I was lined up with the peak. Thought I could duck dive just under the falling lip of the last wave. Made it under and exhaled expecting to pop through the back of the wave, only to find myself getting sucked up and over backwards with my board in my hands and no breath left. Driven to the bottom, ears fully pressurized, board dashed from my hands and snapped in two. Fought to the surface and had a nice 30 minute swim in as 4-6 wave sets started rolling in with ferocious consistency. Lost some confidence that day.

Last edited:

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
I freakin' love me a good OBSF thread. I've never surfed there but it sounds fascinating and spooky.
Also, these threads bring out the amazing mr. doofs scary awesome tales.:ROFLMAO:

Fckn kudos to you guys surfing it :drowning:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Interesting to hear that from HI. When I moved over here from Kauai people would talk about how brutal OB can be and I totally dismissed it because I thought nothing in CA could worry me after HI. Wrong.
I think it's the combination of thick fullsuit, hood, cold water, no channels, beatings, giant sharks, foggy air, seals, no sun, grey sand and lack of crowd (at least when I surfed it at size). Hanalei at size is absolutely freighting to me, but add in the above and OBSF just feels scarier.

Reactions: Aruka

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I've had a half dozen or so sessions in overhead to 2XOH OB. Clean every time. Peaky. So good. I was forced to watch a few times it was way beyond my abilities. Is Reality Check still lurking around on the erBB??

OBSurvivor

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 25, 2013
The scariest place I've ever surfed.
Drove on the Great Highway when I first moved to the city. No board yet. Sloat Blvd attracted my attention due to seeing people scattered in the water and parking lot. Sunny day with peaceful fun consistent conditions. Remember thinking OBSF looks so manageable compared to the chaotic image painted in my head from internet research. A friendly local approached then gave a helpful lesson about the area. Prior to saying goodbye, he explained be careful because everybody who surfs here has almost drowned at least once. Never forget weird feeling while hopping back on The Great Highway.

First session proved to be challenging. Spent majority of the time fighting an epic war with white wash mountains. Felt like I duck dived a 100 times that session . Somehow managed to catch a few waves. Immediately hooked, insane adrenaline rush. Seeing the Bridge in the distance while sitting in the water made me feel some type of way. Whole setting surreal. Upon walking on the sand, cross paths with an older guy wearing a helmet. Stop to chat for a bit then left feeling perplexed wondering if I should wear a helmet.

Many crazy days out there. I'm not a religious man nevertheless begged God one day by saying please don't let me die out here after snapping my board. Never felt so alone and vulnerable. Not a soul on the shore or in the water. Gloomy skies with the waves and wind howling. On a few other occasions after being spooked, paddled in thinking what the hell am I doing out here. Then other days successfully rode monsters that I look back on fondly. Overall , stats leaning towards getting worked. Scary place. Nowadays you couldn't pay me to paddle back out there. Major respect to all you brave fearless hombres charging OBSF.

And after reading Mr Doofs stories likely gonna have nightmares. Good night

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Collection of less than glorious moments at the Beach (those that mention kelp or reef are not at the Beach).

**********************************************************************************
This one from 2008?

I should really have kept a copy of my "10 worst wipe-out" post from a few years back....if only the search function worked better.

Still, I think I can summon a few wipe-outs from the long term memory:

1 Decent overhead hurricane swell, after work, rail sandwich, am forced to leave water only view through tears of pain as Friend #1 and Friend #2 rip it up for another hour.
2 Big day, leash breaks, swim in, get thrashed on the inside bar and then in shorebreak, see those red and black spots as I emerge the ocean
3 Medium size day, hard offshore, held up, late air drop, destroy front ankle as board pearls while I try to fight from going over the front...too much force for the ankle to withstand and I go ever the front
4 Big day, late drop, fall through board upon sticking the landing..fiberglass scrapes on nose and back of head.
5 Tangled in kelp and whipped by mace-like kelp bulbs.
6 Tangles in kelp, held under for 2nd wave, inhaled lots of water that time
7 Giant day, swept off cliff rocks by set and "washed" along the inside reef.
8 Giant day, take off on what could have been the biggest of the set waves, channel closes out, am forced to straighten out, leash breaks in the ensuing mashdown, am now in impact zone for rest of the set...each wave I try to swim under drags me up and over. Tunnel vision and hacking up watery fluids by the time I stumble and roll ashore.
9 Cobblestone left point, bottom turn blown, rolled along bottom hitting TV and bowling ball sized smooth rocks. Everytime I try to push up, cobblestones give way under my feet and water too full of airbubbles (so it is not as dense as non-bubbly water) to support my mass...feels like I am drowning inches from the surface.
10 Fall, get hog-tied to board by leash, but not tight enough to bind the board so that it can't whack me. Get hit by a few other waves as I try to get free of leash; each wave causes the board to strike me about the face, head, neck, armpit, while the fins jab me in the thigh.
11 Push my neck and vertebrae to what feels like 0.1 mm from breaking in a dredging inside bar barrel...was certain I was coming out and then Whammo!

I am sure there are other wipe-outs, but these stand out in the moment.
****************************************************************************************

Or 2002 (link)?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Every year I seem to have a bit of trouble at the Beach and as such, it is hard to pick out a single story.
But I've got a list of events, and in no particular order:

1) Pitched on the take off and fell about 10 feet into the flats. Came up with a cracked rib. Had to head to the shore immediately. Shooting pain on the bumpy belly ride in.

2) Floating take-off at VFW. Fell through my board upon landing it and jagged fiberglass edges scrape my nose and back of my head.

3) Spin out on bottom turn, over the falls twice with rail smashing my left jaw/ear joint. Nearly blacked out.

4) Deceptively large day has me out on the 7'6". Get cleaned up and my leash breaks. Have to swim under a number of sets with 12-18 foot faces and me only about 20 feet from the impact for each. Finally sense returns and realize that I'll never get in unless I let the sets blast me. So I let them. Then the overhead dredging shore break works me. I cough up and throw up sea water. My board is nowhere in sight. (later Friend #2 comes in with my board...he buckled his board on a fall, found mine, paddled in on that)

5) Sprained ankle on a late drop that I tried to ride out. Could not run out out of the shorebreak and took a massive blow to my back and ate sand; thought my neck was gonna break...didn't know my neck could bend that far back in such shallow water.

6) Nearly drowned...saw red and black spots. Make to shore in a daze and some guy on the parking lot goes "That was a terrible fall."

7) After exhausting paddle-out back out after a decent ride, I see a macking set march in. Adrenalin flows and I get the topsey-turvey stomache and my "hackles" rise. I have to force myself to steady my breathing and relax as I take about 5 waves on my head. By the time it is over, I have a bloody nose and two tweaked shoulders. Next day it feels as if I've been given 20 blows about my head and shoulders with a 50's era longboard.

8) Medium size day, rail sandwich after a bit of chop gets me off balance on the take off. I don't even feel the next few sets hit me.

9) Fin cut nearly severs tendons and ligaments on my side of foot. Wearing no booties means the wound get full of sand en route across the filthy beach water. Washing it out later proves that biting a leather belt does provide a certain amount of pain relief/outlet.

10) BIG fall with the lip on my neck. Ears pop on the way through X number of feet down to the sand which I strike hard enough to knock the air right out of my lungs. I have the "can't catch my breath" feeling and feel sort of paralyzed, or pressed flat. The I feel weightless. Ears pop, and I realize I am going up. Suddenly sunlight. I think I get a smidgen of air in my lungs before I get pulled below. Jammed hard on the sand again, this time on my butt. (my spine remember this for a few days). Leash wraps around an arm and a upper leg and then tightens. Feels like I am having them cut off. More happens but it is all a little hazy. Stumble on shore and stagger about. Getting out of my wetsuit, I feel the left over remains of the fight or flight response which tells me how terrible it all truly was.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I’m gonna remember this post anytime someone tells me the moderate vert skateboarding I’m doing is too dangerous.

waxhead

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 31, 2009
Was dropping into a nice one at Wawona and got pitched. Next thing I know my face is scraping the sand. Got a nice little scar that years later I only see at a certain angle-a nice reminder. Drifted north from sloat on a head high day and it turned into a DOH or better situation. I see a bomb coming and think I'm in the channel but it decides to make a turn and head right for me. I stroke like mad and clear the danger only to look up and see a guy screaming down the face right at me. From my vantage point it looked like the guy was on top of a two story house. Pedal to the metal again and clear the path, then meekly catch an insider and go in. See a nice one coming but it keeps growing. Too big for me, but screw it I turn and paddle. Stand up and hear a guy hooting me in the channel as I fly towards the shoulder. Success......for the moment. I drive by frequently but at 61 I pass more often than not. Doesn't look fun, it looks like hard work and possible terror. If I break a leash a half mile out I'm toast.

Reactions: tacos