The WSL is a disgrace.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
Great take on the progessive delusion

It’s not progressive for Gabby, but fuck if you’ve ever seen Ethan throw one in a heat.

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Thankfully Ethan is not gonna do such ugly sh!t. Hopefully he will never fall into that “progression” delusion.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Italo won the surf ranch! Griff only won because the judges didnt like the loud and flashy claims from Italo. Sad days.

Reactions: GromsDad

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think Brazo wide stance style comes from poor kids growing up riding way too big boards. Widens their stance. Meanwhile kids with a little bit of money or guidance (ie. Toledo dad being a pro) ride properly sized grom boards.

Kinda explains Medina style being decent as well since his step dad Charlie probably got him on grom boards earlier than say Italo, Adriano, Jadson, etc.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Italo won the surf ranch! Griff only won because the judges didnt like the loud and flashy claims from Italo. Sad days.
I wonder if he would have scored higher by not acting obnoxious. Maybe he might study JJF's "Claims".

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Whatevas. JJF is hands down the best surfer on the planet today from 3’ Trestles to Eddie worthy conditions. Anyone that cares to disagree can eat a bag of dicks.
He absolutely is. If he wasn't the best surfer in the world by a wide margin he would never have been world champion despite being one of the worst competitors on tour. If he had what Medina or Kelly have he would have won over 5 championships by now.

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
But can he control the claim?
Is there a link to the thrasher Instagram related to surfers calling airs tricks and variations by different names than the other board riders?
I did a one footed healy-wheelie the other day, on a bonzer, no kickpad.
I used to do VahB no-see-ums too.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Let me ask a question.

In contests with barrels like Pipe, Teahupoo, Cloudbreak when it was on the schedule. Why do rides with all kinds of drama get scored so high?

Matt McGillivray at Teahupoo full on dug rail on the drop, barely recovered made the barrel got a ten.

Italo at the Box air drop barely got under the lip made it got an excellent score.

They made mistakes almost ate sh*t recovered big score.

John takes off deep grabs the rail and drags to slow down then lets go of the rail gets shot out. Excellent score but rarely a ten. Kelly too, but he sketches out drops every so often. Perfect form, perfect technique great score but not perfect tens. They get penalized for making it look easy. Which anyone who has ever surfed slabs knows it’s not.

They deduct points if a surfer does a huge air but falls into a layback then stands back up. If they land on the lip and have to fight for the ride out lower score. Why not on mistakes with barrels.

The dramatic almost eating sh*t on the drop and getting a higher score than a flawless entry always confused me. Anyone else?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Let me ask a question.

In contests with barrels like Pipe, Teahupoo, Cloudbreak when it was on the schedule. Why do rides with all kinds of drama get scored so high?

Matt McGillivray at Teahupoo full on dug rail on the drop, barely recovered made the barrel got a ten.

Italo at the Box air drop barely got under the lip made it got an excellent score.

They made mistakes almost ate sh*t recovered big score.

John takes off deep grabs the rail and drags to slow down then lets go of the rail gets shot out. Excellent score but rarely a ten. Kelly too, but he sketches out drops every so often. Perfect form, perfect technique great score but not perfect tens. They get penalized for making it look easy. Which anyone who has ever surfed slabs knows it’s not.

They deduct points if a surfer does a huge air but falls into a layback then stands back up. If they land on the lip and have to fight for the ride out lower score. Why not on mistakes with barrels.

The dramatic almost eating sh*t on the drop and getting a higher score than a flawless entry always confused me. Anyone else?
Similar to skate contests when a sketchy make gets an overscore, the person who makes it look easy frequently gets robbed.

Reactions: ReForest and teeroi

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021
Similar to skate contests when a sketchy make gets an overscore, the person who makes it look easy frequently gets robbed.
Let me ask a question.

Well at those venues nearly every ride is a barrel. So that is the question- how do you differentiate? Slater is good at those scenarios. So good he differentiates by intentionally under paddling take offs at Pipe, Backdoor, and Chopes- sooo late and under the hook that he gets dramatic late tip-toe-air drops and of course deep barrels an beeeg scores brah. And those late-air drops plus a barrel are what get the big scores- strategically planned drama- orchestrated folks, no joke. This man is a keen master of drama- no different than a Broadway play. Think about it, and the contests he has been in. He has created so much drama over the years he is his own enigma now even. I cant tell you times and dates off hand but I can tell you there are plenty of instances out there where bombs come in ( Pipe, Backdoor, Hossegor, Portugal) and he's not mad scrambling and instead takes a lazy paddle into it so it becomes a dramatic late drop and gets added points for it. Yes I think its intentional and the judges eat it up. Slater ain't no bozo. Basically he has the skill and timing to woo the judges with this drama at the opportune times.

Plus, he has some sort of uncanny ability to will last minute buzzer beater sets from an otherwise uncooperative ocean- that part I cannot explain beyond some sort of deal with the devil.

Last edited:
Reactions: pagey