The WSL is a disgrace.

Hump

Phil Edwards status
Jan 10, 2002
Vancouver Island
The judging in this Surf Ranch Pro certainly sucked in that final.

Either that, or I need to go see my eye doctor.
Bloody hell.

I don't often watch contests and I'm not a fan of claiming, but judge the surfing, not the nationality of the surfer.

Take care.

Reactions: GromsDad

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Logged on to see if I was the only one who thought Italo clearly won. That was bizarre.

SurfMission

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 13, 2009
The pool comps should literally be judged more like ice skating. There is just not enough variables. Have requirements for maneuvers, judge on how those were executed, then have a second set of scores for style and artistic impression.

The wave is so monotonous and boring after you've seen it once. It all looks the same.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Sorry Griffin, you're a great kid and I mean you no disrespect and I wish you a long successful career. There is simply no plausible explanation for the judging in that final. All I can come up with is Italo's nationality or someone had money riding on the result. This one stinks more than most.
If you watched the Medina/Ewing heat it was even worse.

The pool comps should literally be judged more like ice skating. There is just not enough variables. Have requirements for maneuvers, judge on how those were executed, then have a second set of scores for style and artistic impression.

The wave is so monotonous and boring after you've seen it once. It all looks the same.
Unfortunately, for me, pro surfing's focus on the air game is very much like ice skating, with the triple axles and what not. Competitive snowboarding is like that too- all about acrobatics, whereas I much prefer to watch the carving videos.

Last edited:

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
1. Today did not make sense
2. it cuts both ways, does Italo remember when he got the win over kolohe with a gift from the judges at D-bah in his world title year?
3. who really cares, these guys get big$ to surf for a living.

Reactions: Bman76 and tacos

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
If only it was written by ANYONE other than mangina, anyone. The guy is the biggest whiner, poor loser, bad sport, entitled egomaniac in pro surfing. Watching him cry after julian beat him in portugal was hilarious. One of the things I love about italo is that he doesnt write sh!t like this....

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
One of the better on-line comments I've read:

Alli Battaglia
I’m not sure what the “motive” was to rig the scores, if it is to keep USA and Australian viewers or if judges are getting paid, and I send much love to WSL for all of the hard work it takes to put these on but I think it’s important for the CEOs to think right now about how energy and intention works overall in relation to their business. Just how the ocean moves with energy, so too do our interactions in the physical. If the goal for the WSL is to be successful and to thrive, the intent and energy needs to be balanced and in alignment with truth. Otherwise the energy coming back will end up mirroring the unaligned energy being put out.

I am a native Californian and a huge fan of Grif but unfortunately he didn’t truly win that heat. It broke my heart to see Italo be treated that way and even more so to see him have to stand up there during the ceremony at the end and have to pretend that what went down was ok so that he didn’t come off as being a bad sport. I mean I hate to say it but it honestly felt racist.

No one wants to follow a competition that doesn’t feel authentic and that suppresses people in this way. I feel that if WSL doesn’t remedy this situation in a big way, that it will end up inevitably coming back and hurting them more than they realize.

Reactions: Hump

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Suppresses people?? wtf.

Same reason KLLY has all the wild cards - corporate sponsorship money...it's not that hard of a concept. The waves have sucked for any premier events, so yeah they are going to push Aussies and Americans through so 6 Brazzos aren't fighting for the W at chest high Trestles with only fans from RIO watching - Pro surfing sucks as much as Italo's style and frosted tips...at least Gaby is bearable now.

If I were John I'd never get off that sailboat with my chick.