*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Got cold at the very tail end of the last storm cycle. MLK day brought bulebirds and upper mountain opening which was holding a foot, but being the low price tear maggot I am, my pass was not good until 2pm. Ironically the 2 best days this year so far have been on Holidays, the last was New Years and typically I have no interest in the madness. That said MLK can be one of the chiller holidays and buddy said it was pretty mellow. I think the crazy high day ticket rates are starting to regulate the crowds making it more favorable for the full pass crowd.

Anyways was banking on a little system that came through early week for the midlife midweek shredios. Didn't really produce, but we were hoping upper mtn would be buffed out and holding the goods. Traversed right behind patrol and got into our bowl of choice right when he popped the gate opened, but warned us it was not what we were hoping for. Still launched in off the cornice, tried to grab indy but only got behind back foot, what is that even called? Old man sh!t I guess. Landing was soft, but not deep and lost it. Also felt it later in the day. Rest of the bowl was weird wind packed and sheard with a soft turn here and there. Ended up mining some lines we haven't hit yet in the lower canyon. Was kinda variable with about 4"-5" on top of crust or soft, pic below was a nice soft pocket we found. Kind of a cobbled together semi pow day, but good to get in the zones, see what snow bridges were set. Looks high and dry for the rest of the month. And damn if Tahoe did not look EPIC this past week. Season of a decade. Hope you guys down there been scoring.

trimmedGX010022_exported_6536_2.jpg

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Got cold at the very tail end of the last storm cycle. MLK day brought bulebirds and upper mountain opening which was holding a foot, but being the low price tear maggot I am, my pass was not good until 2pm. Ironically the 2 best days this year so far have been on Holidays, the last was New Years and typically I have no interest in the madness. That said MLK can be one of the chiller holidays and buddy said it was pretty mellow. I think the crazy high day ticket rates are starting to regulate the crowds making it more favorable for the full pass crowd.

Anyways was banking on a little system that came through early week for the midlife midweek shredios. Didn't really produce, but we were hoping upper mtn would be buffed out and holding the goods. Traversed right behind patrol and got into our bowl of choice right when he popped the gate opened, but warned us it was not what we were hoping for. Still launched in off the cornice, tried to grab indy but only got behind back foot, what is that even called? Old man sh!t I guess. Landing was soft, but not deep and lost it. Also felt it later in the day. Rest of the bowl was weird wind packed and sheard with a soft turn here and there. Ended up mining some lines we haven't hit yet in the lower canyon. Was kinda variable with about 4"-5" on top of crust or soft, pic below was a nice soft pocket we found. Kind of a cobbled together semi pow day, but good to get in the zones, see what snow bridges were set. Looks high and dry for the rest of the month. And damn if Tahoe did not look EPIC this past week. Season of a decade. Hope you guys down there been scoring.

View attachment 146410
Rad photo. Orca?

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
Spent tues-fri skiing in Vail. Lucked out with good conditions and skied solo 80% of the time so I got to rack up tons of vert but fuck that place is a sh!t show. Best day was a storm day where I70 closed. Hadn't been there in about 10+ years and probably never going back

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
What in the living fuck is all I have to say about this last weekend at Tahoe. The parking lot at Kirkwood closed at 8:30 AM, half an hour before the lifts open, on a non-powder day?! Been going there for about 30 years and never even seen anything remotely close to what that sh!t was. CHP managing traffic was also a complete dick - I hope he is haunted by my daughter sobbing uncontrollably in his face. Luckily could refund my kids lessons as we couldn't even park until 1 PM. Kids did snowplay in one of the turnouts. Had to leave at 7 AM on Sunday morning and still jammed traffic getting into the mountain area.

I can't comprehend why adult learners without kids would go to Kirkwood. There is no logic to it whatsoever.

Bright side is we got run after run on Timber Creek side and the kids were STOCKED once they got onto the mountain. They progressed with every run and were amped the entire time, can't wait to get back up there but just not on a weekend. Getting that powder day the previous Thursday still had me satiated so I was just as stocked teaching the kids and helping them progress.

PRCD underestimates the Bay Area techbro faggotry. It actually cannot be overestimated. If this is the new normal, holy hell. Fuck Vail in every fucking orifice for trying to turn Kirkwood into a destination resort when it is not designed for that at all. And they better not even think about creating a reservation system. :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: Iceman and Chocki

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
1. Buy up all the low priced beginner ski areas
2. Jack up prices
3. Complain because there is no growth in the sport
4. Raise prices more to meet your profit goals
5. Rinse and repeat.
Why does there even need to be "growth" in the sport?

Because of profits? Fuck. That.

Each one teach one, not each one exploit the living fuck out of things to enhance corporate profit.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Spent tues-fri skiing in Vail. Lucked out with good conditions and skied solo 80% of the time so I got to rack up tons of vert but fook that place is a sh!t show. Best day was a storm day where I70 closed. Hadn't been there in about 10+ years and probably never going back
I remember Vail being borderline clusterfucked 30 years ago and Birds of Prey etc down the road being dank.

Yes. 153. Very fun board esp in trees.
Everyone I’ve talked to on the mtn here loves the Orca along w/ Angry. He compares the ride to the K2 Cool Bean so I can see why you like it in the trees. I just got rid of my 147 Bean bc the Amplid 157 MG rode very similar plus better carves, overall stability and speed. Pretty much an Orca.

Rockin the TLD moto knee braces on both knees and they rock, so hard. Barely noticeable(including hiking) and I took some falls going fast in the deep where in hindsight I was glad my knees weren’t getting torqued.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
Why does there even need to be "growth" in the sport?

Because of profits? fook. That.

Each one teach one, not each one exploit the living fook out of things to enhance corporate profit.
There's no such thing as a sustainable business in the capitalist system. You have to be constantly showing growth like a cancer to your shareholders or gtfo.

One of the best independent mountains I've ever been to was Bridger Bowl in Montana. Great terrain and from my understanding it's run as a coop. The amenities are minimal but who cares. Peak adult lift tickets were only something like $60 when I was there and crowds were non-existent. I'd trade that for any resort amenities and douchey apres scene any day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kento

donuts

Tom Curren status
Jan 23, 2005
@ the fun house
There's no such thing as a sustainable business in the capitalist system. You have to be constantly showing growth like a cancer to your shareholders or gift.
why don’t you move to venezuala and pursue your alternate lifestyle where you belong...

i admire you (and some others here...) for not cashing any of your paychecks from the non-sustainable industry that employs you.

:dancing:

Last edited:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Its a fun ride. Playful yet charges. It's 3 seasons old now. Stock design hasn't changed. Epic craigslist score for $350 after haggling a bit. Guy said he had about 8 days on it, I've put about 22 days on it now going on its 2nd season. Was skeptical about size at 6' 190lbs, but the thing floats on the deeeeepest days. The nose just torpedos to the top, every time, even when you bury it.

Got a bro deal on K2s. Been looking at Excavator. Pretty similar shape as Orca, but different profile. Really love the rocker between feet that the Lib C2x has. Might be a bit of overlap if I were to keep Orca. Otherwise thinking of Alchemist and adding a camber dominant shape for a 2 board quiver. Rode Jamie Phoenix's for years.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
What in the living fook is all I have to say about this last weekend at Tahoe. The parking lot at Kirkwood closed at 8:30 AM, half an hour before the lifts open, on a non-powder day?! Been going there for about 30 years and never even seen anything remotely close to what that sh!t was. CHP managing traffic was also a complete dick - I hope he is haunted by my daughter sobbing uncontrollably in his face. Luckily could refund my kids lessons as we couldn't even park until 1 PM. Kids did snowplay in one of the turnouts. Had to leave at 7 AM on Sunday morning and still jammed traffic getting into the mountain area.

I can't comprehend why adult learners without kids would go to Kirkwood. There is no logic to it whatsoever.

Bright side is we got run after run on Timber Creek side and the kids were STOCKED once they got onto the mountain. They progressed with every run and were amped the entire time, can't wait to get back up there but just not on a weekend. Getting that powder day the previous Thursday still had me satiated so I was just as stocked teaching the kids and helping them progress.

PRCD underestimates the Bay Area techbro faggotry. It actually cannot be overestimated. If this is the new normal, holy hell. fook Vail in every fucking orifice for trying to turn Kirkwood into a destination resort when it is not designed for that at all. And they better not even think about creating a reservation system. :mad:
Yikes. Need to leave at 5:30am. Makes me glad I left Bay in mid 2Gs. Was fairly mellow on weekends back then and I was a bit of a weekend warrior when it came to boarding. What got me back then was lame east bay traffic coming home. Fuking blew. My local Mtn upper lot fills up at 8am now, but I am only an hour and change away. I do do family days sometimes on weekends, out the door no later than 6am, but mostly early and late season. Otherwise the kids have at least 3 week days off that are teacher days and not official holidays we try to take advantage of.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Saw that today. Say goodbye to $40 weekday lift tickets.

totally fvckin blows

Pretty amazing to think all these shitty S.Cal resorts will now be charging the equivalent (even double) of far better mountains elsewhere.
Snow Summit is now ~$160 if you walk up to the ticket window on a weekend. Unbelievable!?

I love Big Bear for what it is, but I really hope people vote with their dollars. Those smaller hills are not worth that much.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Snow Summit is now ~$160 if you walk up to the ticket window on a weekend. Unbelievable!?

I love Big Bear for what it is, but I really hope people vote with their dollars. Those smaller hills are not worth that much.
$160 for Snow Summit?! :rolleyes:

I've never travelled there but over the years, I've kind of gleaned that Chamonix/Mont Blanc are as world-class as you could possibly get. 6 day unlimited pass there is about $400. Also by comparison, Las Lenas = a little under $100, Portillo: $60.

To me, that seems fair, especially for what you get in return. How do SS/BM charge any more than $10 with a straight face? Kinda like half the hotels that are really $20-$30 value charging $150+/night.

It's all a ploy to sell the Epic/IKON/etc. passes, knowing that the majority of buyers are only good for a weekend or two anyways. I hope this was everyone's weekend and that they are spent out now for the year.

I've got the family plan now for this kind of worked out. Leave Sunday morning direct to the mountain, ride the afternoon, stay at hotel Sunday night (cheaper rate), ride all day Monday, and then be back home by 7:30. Kids are doing well enough in school, zero heartburn about them missing a day here and there. :jamon:

Last edited:

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I remember Vail being borderline clusterfucked 30 years ago and Birds of Prey etc down the road being dank.

Everyone I’ve talked to on the mtn here loves the Orca along w/ Angry. He compares the ride to the K2 Cool Bean so I can see why you like it in the trees. I just got rid of my 147 Bean bc the Amplid 157 MG rode very similar plus better carves, overall stability and speed. Pretty much an Orca.

Rockin the TLD moto knee braces on both knees and they rock, so hard. Barely noticeable(including hiking) and I took some falls going fast in the deep where in hindsight I was glad my knees weren’t getting torqued.
Who's 'Angry'?

I used to see a lot of Orcas at my local and everyone raved about them. I have never ridden one due to being somewhat compelled to stay on Burton for the time being but have always wanted to try one for a few laps. I haven't seen as many lately though.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Yikes. Need to leave at 5:30am. Makes me glad I left Bay in mid 2Gs. Was fairly mellow on weekends back then and I was a bit of a weekend warrior when it came to boarding. What got me back then was lame east bay traffic coming home. Fuking blew. My local Mtn upper lot fills up at 8am now, but I am only an hour and change away. I do do family days sometimes on weekends, out the door no later than 6am, but mostly early and late season. Otherwise the kids have at least 3 week days off that are teacher days and not official holidays we try to take advantage of.
Our drive should be 30 min. max regardless of weather, but lately it's always a sh!t show. 5 mph on dry pavement yesterday. :shrug: The rule used to be leave by 7:45 and you were good. That has now shifted to 7:00 or at the latest 7:15.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW

Yeah but the instragam @jerrysofbearmtn is pretty funny. Can't really blame anyone for wanting to separate that crew from their $$.

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Who's 'Angry'?

I used to see a lot of Orcas at my local and everyone raved about them. I have never ridden one due to being somewhat compelled to stay on Burton for the time being but have always wanted to try one for a few laps. I haven't seen as many lately though.
http://www.angrysnowboarder.com/

Everyone fooking had them about 3 or so years ago. They were even kind of a Jerry board there for a minute. Had to throw a few stickers on mine to avoid someone grabbing it off the rack by mistake or vise versa. Your right about not seeing as many, but 3 people I ride with still have one as well. They def live up to hype. Will say the Lib top sheets chip like mofos these days and been kinda beating on mine.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I am still using my Gnu 164W Carbon Series, which I think I bought at Salty Peaks 12+ years ago. Even have some of the original edges still. :beer:

Unfortunately, toe-strap of back binding severed itself yesterday. Not a big deal as was only on the groomers with the kids but yeah, need to cannibalize the 20+ year-old bag of bindings and spare parts, may just swap out the whole binding given that toeplate came off too and it's half-baseless now.

I have been procrastinating on buying any new gear for a long time. Then again, I still have that K2 Fatbob from 20+ years ago. The edges might be a little rusty... :roflmao:

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Our drive should be 30 min. max regardless of weather, but lately it's always a sh!t show. 5 mph on dry pavement yesterday. :shrug: The rule used to be leave by 7:45 and you were good. That has now shifted to 7:00 or at the latest 7:15.
Where the hell are these people coming from?

Did their Wavestorms get dented?