*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Too good not to share. Totally respect his decision to shine on that terrain.

That was sketchy AF. Props for walking back up the hill, would've ended really badly otherwise.

Reactions: Random Guy

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
That was sketchy AF. Props for walking back up the hill, would've ended really badly otherwise.
Im curious why he was riding that wicked gnar terrain in those garbage snow conditions???

Other than that I played along as I watched and I would’ve bailed sooner. It looks like hes at least a pretty competent rider and it sucks that he’s getting roasted for retreating bc that’s what happens sometimes when you’re pushing your limits terrain wise.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Too good not to share. Totally respect his decision to shine on that terrain.

I hope that was his rock board. None of that looked appealing at all. If you're going to go through a rock garden, there should be a payoff. Maybe a few more feet of base and some fresh powder on top of it?

You should probably scope that out first; going through terrain like that blind is kind of stupid, especially if there isn't even powder involved.

If I executed that many levels of poor decision making, I would not have videoed it and aired it to the world.

Come to think of it, it used to be just snowboard companies that were subject to endless sponsor me (this one could be for Depends) videos. Now we're all subject to it. :roflmao:

While we're talking about negotiating rocky terrain, I give you Nick Perata:

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I hope that was his rock board. None of that looked appealing at all. If you're going to go through a rock garden, there should be a payoff. Maybe a few more feet of base and some fresh powder on top of it?

You should probably scope that out first; going through terrain like that blind is kind of stupid, especially if there isn't even powder involved.

If I executed that many levels of poor decision making, I would not have videoed it and aired it to the world.

Come to think of it, it used to be just snowboard companies that were subject to endless sponsor me (this one could be for Depends) videos. Now we're all subject to it. :roflmao:

I’d love to know what was behind his decision making process as well lol

And omg I was the biggest Critical Condition fan Bitd. Can’t have Farmer wo NP. I think that crash mightve given him some minor brain damage?
1673826206509.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Kento

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Finally seeing some real accumulation here > 12”. So far 2’/48hrs w/ another 1-2‘ by Wed am. Trying to decide if I want to brave the drive during the storm and ride tm while it pukes snow one last day or come out the morning after??? Spent the majority of yd and again for a bit today running the snow blower not so much bc I couldn’t get in or out but bc Winter here is cumulative. If I ride tm I blow snow wed or vice versa.

Either way I’m stocked for a hopefully chill day (my ribs still hurt) finally testing the full on pow board (Snomelier). Wouldn’t have pulled the trigger but it was wicked discounted and Amplid/Peter Bauer know pow. I fucking love my other board from them.

Im leaning towards tm bc I fucking love storm riding/being able to lap terrain and your tracks are filled in each time.

1673926553765.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Mammoth was a fookin beating last weekend. I’m seriously leaning towards becoming a mid week only and/ or spring only rider. Too much of the general public has no business being out in heavy snow conditions, yet the hype train always brings them out in droves. People stopping in the middle of Lakeview Drive on the way up to Canyon Lodgein the middle of the road stuck and needing to chain up even though it was chains required from all the way down on the 395. People with no chains on still trying to make it uphill and spinning wildly going sideways not making any ground with a line of cars behind them stuck. Cars with chains on driving 2mph uphill in the middle of the street and spinning getting stuck and blocking anyone from coming up or down. People parked halfway out in the driving lanes because they wanted their passengers to be able to get out / in with the huge snow bank on the side of the road. The sh!tshow was never ending, and I can’t deal anymore. I was having a hard time getting up the steep part of the hill in 4x4 because the snow was so thick on the road and there were so many cars and people in the way I couldn’t carry any momentum. it was just stop stop stop and wait wait wait for every idiot to take their time on every little thing. Lack of oxygen to the brain I tell you. High altitude makes people stupid.

Friday it was already whiting out at the top of Chair 9 by 11am and impossible to see, so we stayed on the lower mountain all day. Saturday maybe 5-6 lifts were open, but it was some of the deepest soft snow I’ve ridden in a long time, and the new rockered board made a noticeable difference. Luckily the weather broke Sunday day and we had a pretty smooth trip out, but we were bitter that our trip wasn’t set for the following week.

Attachments

Last edited:

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
When we had a place up there I vowed to never be on the hill on Sat & Sun and often Friday too. Such a circus and dangerous.
Wednesday is the best day to ride. Everyone has either left or not made it up the hill yep. We used to drive up on Sundays and home on Saturdays until the kids got too old to pull out of school when ever there was a dump forecasted and the place wasn't rented. Had some epic Wednesdays with just me and my kids lapping 9 before they "improved" the lift.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
9 and 25 were always long cruisy runs with random hits everywhere and so off the beaten track, used to never be crowded. Mammoth is one of those places... I can't go home again. Now it was a fun day don't get me wrong but last time I was there a few years back, the lines were stupidly long. I get the stack at a lift like 23 or 22 that's about to open with untouched powder to be had but an hour line at the Stump Alley wtf? :roflmao:

Heading up to Kirkwood this weekend with the whole family, got my powder last Thursday, time to get the kids going again.

Reactions: Chocki and npsp

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
Yes, 25 is the one to lap when the upper Mtn is getting hammered. So much fun to had in that zone. Our place was in the Summit condos so 15 was a short walk and that side of the Mtn is great for kids. The "upgrade" to 9 brought a lot of people to that side but if yo know where to go, you can find little stashes of untracked pretty much all day long.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I'm headed down to Mammoth 1/29 to 2/3. I'll be partially working and watching my kid train and compete at various times but should be on snow at least part of every day. Maybe I'll run into some of you Mammy Locs at some point.

Reactions: npsp and Chocki

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

100%

Also in many instances unstrapping from your board can be the worst decision you make. Sometimes you gotta just say fuck it and just accept that whatever board you're riding is your new rock board and disregard damage and just commit to it. As you said a lot of bad decision making got him to that trail but once you're there its a lot easier to not worry about your board and just go.

Last edited:

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
yd ended up being another snow removal day and was so tired this am had to make myself go ride = late start aka the Gentlemen’s Club. Little tracked up but snow quality was legit and over knee deep.

Board testing went well. It’s decent in chop and wicked fast and throws big sprays as advertised. Was surprised how maneuverable and “surfy” it was. Very easy to ride. Likes to be ridden fast/powerfully and was copacetic in pretty tight trees especially if you’re willing to let it get up to speed. I could see it being awesome at drops and slaying at a big mountain.

If I had to sum up its performance in pow and in soft snow in general…

1674089222598.jpeg

620B8132-B7BF-4F1D-80B7-44B39CA5642C.jpeg

Last edited:

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
  • Sad
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Wow, one of the last independents in So-Cal, Snow Valley, is now part of Alterra Mtn. group...

Get ready for higher prices.
Another one bites the dust. Bummer man.
A wicked long time ago someone who worked at Alta told me how resorts end up having to sell out. They take out fat loans to buy expensive crap that leaves them permanently in the red until the man from Vail, etc shows up with the answer to all their problems. Just sign here.

2017, Snow Valley buys a new $6 Million dollar chairlift.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Wow, one of the last independents in So-Cal, Snow Valley, is now part of Alterra Mtn. group...

Get ready for higher prices.

Saw that today. Say goodbye to $40 weekday lift tickets.

totally fvckin blows

Pretty amazing to think all these shitty S.Cal resorts will now be charging the equivalent (even double) of far better mountains elsewhere.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
1. Buy up all the low priced beginner ski areas
2. Jack up prices
3. Complain because there is no growth in the sport
4. Raise prices more to meet your profit goals
5. Rinse and repeat.