*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
going to colorado next week
wondering how much colder it will be than mammoth
Here's the point forecast for right on top of Loveland CO. The link is also in my OP at the start of this thread.

Its cold, albeit sunny, this weekend and early next week there.

tenover

Kelly Slater status
Jan 17, 2003
Point Loma, CA
We turned back about halfway to Mammoth. Highway conditions were pretty gnarly and we saw probably 6 bad accidents in that time, one happening right in front of us.

Between the driving conditions, road conditions between Bishop and Mammoth, and the updates from Mammoth Snowman saying that they would likely need a day or two AFTER tomorrow to dig the town and lifts out, we just called it off.

Bummer, but oh well.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
parts of the town of June Lake are under mandatory Evac. due to Avalance danger now.
Where are they gonna go? The 395 is closed in both directions, June is effectively isolated (as is Mammoth Lakes).

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
We turned back about halfway to Mammoth. Highway conditions were pretty gnarly and we saw probably 6 bad accidents in that time, one happening right in front of us.

Between the driving conditions, road conditions between Bishop and Mammoth, and the updates from Mammoth Snowman saying that they would likely need a day or two AFTER tomorrow to dig the town and lifts out, we just called it off.

Bummer, but oh well.
Smart move. The hill will be there long after we've gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Reactions: tenover

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Fug I'm at the point where Id almost kill for that rn. Need some cold crystalis freshies and vitamin D like fugging pronto. Been getting warmer by the week here. 40 at 5000 next few days :rolleyes: What started out as a great winter for at least a few weeks has ended up being kinda blah. This warm south Pacific track blows chunks. I thought this was a legit cold La Nina not an warm El Nino. Carry on......

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Not a bad way to start off the season yesterday at Kirkwood. Several inches of fresh snow on top of several feet from the days before. Patrol was avalanche bombing all morning so mountain was generally opened up in stages. Was antsy I guess so didn't sleep particularly solid the night before but was out in the door by 5 AM and in the parking lot before 9; took the long way (50 to 89/88) to be safe. So was everyone else. Lot of people from Reno; apparently Heavenly had a power outage. Still no lift lines to speak of at all but it did explain the number of people; I guess I need to leave 15 to 30 minutes earlier on powder days.

That first run I took a little beyond Cliff Chute area was so fun, I ended up doing it the next run too before I branched out from there. Aside from the galeforce winds (normal) at the top, it was actually a pretty warm day. Which was funny. Everyone (including myself) was amping on the backside to be opened but it didn't. and didn't. There were all sorts of gradual powder lines around Chair 2 that were surprisingly really fun but everyone was thinking lemon next to pie. I gave up on backside opening, went back to the ride to get lunch and chill, came back, STILL not open so said fuck it, went back across the mountain to Palisades Bowl, got back to Wall chair just as it closed and then found out backside was NOW open. Goddamnit, raced over there, got to base of Sunrise 3 minutes before closing.

Remember when I said it was warm? Nothing like heavy ass powder, Sierra Cement at its finest topped with sun slush. Lemon next to the pie alright but the pie sat in the sun too long and got mushy. So that was funny; day was pretty much done, grabbed one last run up Cornice at 3:59, near where I started the day.

Good stuff and great way to start off the season. :jamon:

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Yep been there done that. Had a pass there for 8 seasons. Bro report from Whistler is it's raining at base. Kinda looking at tickets to UT. Sounds like they've had to much of a good thing with resorts closed due to avy danger. Guess they were dropping bombs with helis at the Bird the other day.

Reactions: bruhdakine

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
Yep been there done that. Had a pass there for 8 seasons. Bro report from Whistler is it's raining at base. Kinda looking at tickets to UT. Sounds like they've had to much of a good thing with resorts closed due to avy danger. Guess they were dropping bombs with helis at the Bird the other day.
Been seeing endless insta posts from Brighton of the established order and the new kids all killing it. Looks like it's been going off endlessly the past few weeks.

Reactions: slipped_disc

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
Been seeing endless insta posts from Brighton of the established order and the new kids all killing it. Looks like it's been going off endlessly the past few weeks.
Brighton seems to be the new center of the snowboard world. Lots of talent and content coming out of their regularly.

Reactions: bruhdakine

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
More snow for the Cali and UT bros.