*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Chasing weekday powder is fun and all but holy smokes is the interstate getting gamy. My wife wanted to drive and she’s doing great but it’s pretty hairy

glad I just get to blaze and play DJ and not think about the 2 crashes we’ve already passed. Oh and I can play on erBB too. It’s nice having a driver

ETA maybe an hour.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Safe and sound. beautiful 2 bedroom apartment with pool table and hot tub. Close family friends upstairs. BFF down the road with his wife and 2 year old. I’ve been to this home countless times over the years, but never stayed in the guest apartment downstairs

first thing she says to me after hugging, my buddy’s mom is like “why don’t you come up here more often? I don’t like renting the apartment I’d rather you and mrs subway and your dogs use it as often as you’d like all year.

She’s all “give me 24 hours notice in case I have other houseguests that I will evict for you“:

His parents are the coolest retirees ever. Big-ish and super tasteful and comfortable house on a hill overlooking Stowe valley. Medium size super sporty RV in which they road trip all over North America during the summer. Ski nearly every day. They Carpe the Diem . 76 year old mom just came back from Vail and A Week in the back bowls. Gabbling about it like a teenager when we walked in the door (she had gotten home from her trip just minutes before we arrived)

then she seared up two steaks on the cast iron for her and hubs. I’m like, this lady is my hero. I asked mrs subway if she was taking notes

im sleeping in the smaller second bedroom tonight :foreheadslap: :)

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
Mammoth wind crust report:

2 day strike revealed stupid amounts of snow. All this snow is now 2 weeks old and the mountain has endured several days of *heavy* east wind that made anything not groomed basically unskiable rock hard wind crust crud.

Top opening was delayed but they eventually fired up 23, but the only thing anyone was going down was through the enormous entrance notches they groomed on Cornice and Scottys, which were wind scoured to a level of hardness found only on World Cup downhill runs. Thanks to to the upsloping winds blowing about 50 up your nose, it was tough to drop in, and the wind did not ease after 2 or 3 turns down. So not much fun was had off of 23.

Bombing furiously on the groomers down below was tons of fun though, at least in the morning before they got cut up.

If you don't have an Ikon pass and just want to get a midweek walkup ticket, it's $229!!! Ouchie!

IMG_0982.jpeg

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com

2 day strike revealed stupid amounts of snow. All this snow is now 2 weeks old and the mountain has endured several days of *heavy* east wind that made anything not groomed basically unskiable rock hard wind crust crud.

Top opening was delayed but they eventually fired up 23, but the only thing anyone was going down was through the enormous entrance notches they groomed on Cornice and Scottys, which were wind scoured to a level of hardness found only on World Cup downhill runs. Thanks to to the upsloping winds blowing about 50 up your nose, it was tough to drop in, and the wind did not ease after 2 or 3 turns down. So not much fun was had off of 23.

Bombing furiously on the groomers down below was tons of fun though, at least in the morning before they got cut up.

If you don't have an Ikon pass and just want to get a midweek walkup ticket, it's $229!!! Ouchie!

View attachment 146812
$229? AYFKM?
I just looked at the website. Yup. $229. That is just unbelievable. And unconscionable.
1674754567079.png

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar

View attachment 146812
Doing a one-day strike on Kirkwood on Tuesday. Supposed to get some snow on Sunday and into Monday a bit. Don't expect untouched on Tuesday by any means; just hope the new snow sticks as I'm sure it's similar conditions there. Still can't believe how strong the winds were the other day - 160+ mph gusts.

Picked up some new Union Force bindings, slowly but surely upgrading my gear as it is gradually disintegrating. Will mount them on the current board I have (Gnu High Beam Carbon) but that thing is also old as sh!t so been looking at reviews....

Any of you ever use the Capita Black Snowboard of Death?

Reactions: Aruka

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Doing a one-day strike on Kirkwood on Tuesday. Supposed to get some snow on Sunday and into Monday a bit. Don't expect untouched on Tuesday by any means; just hope the new snow sticks as I'm sure it's similar conditions there. Still can't believe how strong the winds were the other day - 160+ mph gusts.

Picked up some new Union Force bindings, slowly but surely upgrading my gear as it is gradually disintegrating. Will mount them on the current board I have (Gnu High Beam Carbon) but that thing is also old as sh!t so been looking at reviews....

Any of you ever use the Capita Black Snowboard of Death?
https://powderchasers.com/forecasts/Montana's-Turn-to-Get-Mauled

Sounds like a legit carver if that’s your priority.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and Kento

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Good call on the Forces. That's what I ride. Good mid range binder with a bit of flex. I like mid flex binders and stiff boots. Riding old equipment is a bad idea. A lot different than riding say an old surfboard. One malfunction esp with a binder could put you on the IR and out of the water, which would be frustrating as hell. Board of Death gets good reviews. My buddy scores clean used boards all the time on ebay and some other sites. Might be worth a look.

Reactions: Kento

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
https://powderchasers.com/forecasts/Montana's-Turn-to-Get-Mauled

Sounds like a legit carver if that’s your priority.
I like that weather forecast model - begone high pressure system but not before keeping some offshores for Saturday.

Not really pure carving or anything but fun sh!t on the relative flats sometimes, mostly steeps, powder, trees, crud, and moguls, even cruise through the park now and then but no real focus. General freeride I guess so seems like might be a good board based on reviews.

You got me diving down a rabbithole. That Angry Snowboarder guy makes some funny videos. Was cracking up about this one:

Aside from crowd angst/sensory overload that last weekend, I'm actually not jaded. I try not to pull #5 too much because I do remember way too bullshit (and there were bad crowds back then too) but I do wish they hadn't put that T-bar up the ridge off Caples in Kirkwood as I used to regularly hike it and it stayed untracked longer.

#4 - see below. And that operator Ulrich at the Mammoth Gondola back in the day was a nazi at times.

I'm safe on the others. I don't hate skiers at all but that video did bring back some memories about previous interactions. :roflmao:

Good call on the Forces. That's what I ride. Good mid range binder with a bit of flex. I like mid flex binders and stiff boots. Riding old equipment is a bad idea. A lot different than riding say an old surfboard. One malfunction esp with a binder could put you on the IR and out of the water, which would be frustrating as hell. Board of Death gets good reviews. My buddy scores clean used boards all the time on ebay and some other sites. Might be worth a look.
Nice - Looking forward to trying them out this Tuesday. No joke about old equipment. Had a binding break in midair way back when and it was a miracle I didn't get hurt. It was a good thing the leash I was required to wear back then connected my foot to the binding. :monkey:

Thanks, eBay, etc. is a good idea. Can't go crazy spending money right now. :roflmao:

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I like that weather forecast model - begone high pressure system but not before keeping some offshores for Saturday.

Not really pure carving or anything but fun sh!t on the relative flats sometimes, mostly steeps, powder, trees, crud, and moguls, even cruise through the park now and then but no real focus. General freeride I guess so seems like might be a good board based on reviews.

You got me diving down a rabbithole. That Angry Snowboarder guy makes some funny videos. Was cracking up about this one:

Aside from crowd angst/sensory overload that last weekend, I'm actually not jaded. I try not to pull #5 too much because I do remember way too bullshit (and there were bad crowds back then too) but I do wish they hadn't put that T-bar up the ridge off Caples in Kirkwood as I used to regularly hike it and it stayed untracked longer.

#4 - see below. And that operator Ulrich at the Mammoth Gondola back in the day was a nazi at times.

I'm safe on the others. I don't hate skiers at all but that video did bring back some memories about previous interactions. :roflmao:

Nice - Looking forward to trying them out this Tuesday. No joke about old equipment. Had a binding break in midair way back when and it was a miracle I didn't get hurt. It was a good thing the leash I was required to wear back then connected my foot to the binding. :monkey:

Thanks, eBay, etc. is a good idea. Can't go crazy spending money right now. :roflmao:
when bindings are done they’re done and they can go at anytime. Catching gnarly air or in the lift lines.

Shouldn’t be too long before shite starts to go on sale

Sounds like the Capita Death Board is more versatile than I thought

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
6 hours of wet soggy powder and I am Shawt. And thank goodness for Epic pass “buddy pass” credits. Was “only” 125 each instead of like $180. Really is insane but they do make the Epic and Ikon passes super affordable. But not everyone can hit the mountain several weeks a winter; many might only ride a handful of days. And fudge me do they rob you blind for those few days.

in protest I must have filled my coffee thermos 5 times but only paid for 2 (which was still eleven goddamn dollars lol. For coffee!)

Not many pics yet, it was rainy and snowy today. Tomorrow will be soft and perfectly groomed and sunny. Light wind. A foot of fresh natural snow fell in the last 12 hours. Wet and heavy but will make for fun groomed carving tomorrow and some of the glades are stashed and fun

first one is for Pickle

05FE71F5-E9E2-448C-9682-9B5D2DA9B65B.jpeg
06CDA291-6DC6-4A9E-9340-5113DF6028FC.jpeg
6D24734E-F3E8-441C-A869-80D01F216701.jpeg

Guinness 0.0 is a delight in such a venue

May 28, 2022
Racked 25.000 vert today it was cold but empty at Park City/Canyons. The snow was fantastic all day, really nice dust on crust and heavenly groomers in the am. They are calling for 22" at Solitude and 17" in Park City in the next couple days. The beat goes on. I mentioned the storm to several locals who all groaned like they couldn't take anymore. They are acting the fool because next year will probably suck.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Coffee view
View attachment 146869
In a totally rookie move, I am out of rolling papers.
In a somewhat redemptive move, I just picked 5/8 of an ounce, made up of 5 examples of Vermont’s finest genetics. Blackberry kush is da-vine.

also, my little dogs absolutely love Vermont with 10 inches of snow on the ground. They are both tiny little mutts rescued from puerto Rico, yet here they are going all white fang, calling the wild, chasing squirrels and chit

they’re now passed out and will sleep for the next 18 hours

Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
In a somewhat redemptive move, I just picked 5/8 of an ounce, made up of 5 examples of Vermont’s finest genetics. Blackberry kush is da-vine.

also, my little dogs absolutely love Vermont with 10 inches of snow on the ground. They are both tiny little mutts rescued from puerto Rico, yet here they are going all white fang, calling the wild, chasing squirrels and chit

they’re now passed out and will sleep for the next 18 hours
Dogs love to play in the snow.
VT/NH have always had dank nugs.
Weed is tight.
No pics of your jury rigged ogrostyle bong?
1674952131551.gif