*** Official Snow Surfing Thread ***

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I had a great day at keystone cruising long groomers several years ago

chiming in from the north east. Last minute strike to ride Stowe Thursday and Friday with about a foot or more of fresh snow forecast between now and Thursday. So we drive up Wednesday before the storm gets too thick, ride Thursday and Friday and just chill with our pals and their kids on Saturday and leave the mountain to the masses. head home Sunday morning…Has a lot of potential

also, riding my 154 skeleton key for fhe first time- first time riding a sub 163 board since I lost 70 pounds. stocked

thing looks TINY next to my 163 OneMag

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
I had a great day at keystone cruising long groomers several years ago

chiming in from the north east. Last minute strike to ride Stowe Thursday and Friday with about a foot or more of fresh snow forecast between now and Thursday. So we drive up Wednesday before the storm gets too thick, ride Thursday and Friday and just chill with our pals and their kids on Saturday and leave the mountain to the masses. head home Sunday morning…Has a lot of potential

also, riding my 154 skeleton key for fhe first time- first time riding a sub 163 board since I lost 70 pounds. stocked

thing looks TINY next to my 163 OneMag
When I was in 8th grade, I weighed about 110 or so, and skied on 200s.

I just realized how much I miss that Burton Kelly Slopestyle 173. That board was absolute money in powder.

Went to Keystone once - fun day, Outback had some good snow but if I was in that area, the only place I would go is A-Basin. That mountain kicks ass.

One thing I was super stocked on seeing up on Kirkwood the Thursday before last was a telemarker absolutely ripping steep powder. Hardly ever see them anymore which is a shame because IMHO, those guys flowing on those things in the steeps are the absolute epitome of style and skill. When I was a kid, John Falkiner was my hero. Along with Gouvy, Vallencant, Tardival, Boivin, Schmidt, Plake, Andrews, etc. I still loved skiing when I was 12 but I was looking for new challenges and there is no doubt in my mind that if snowboarding did not come along, I would have switched to telemarks. That one shot of Vallencant in Powder(?) Magazine snowboarding was a major catalyst of my snowboarding curiosity. First tried boarding in 1987, Sorels were kind of a turnoff, couple other forays but by 1991... haven't stepped on skis since.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Our drive should be 30 min. max regardless of weather, but lately it's always a sh!t show. 5 mph on dry pavement yesterday. :shrug: The rule used to be leave by 7:45 and you were good. That has now shifted to 7:00 or at the latest 7:15.
I've been up in your neck of the woods the past week, last day was today and leaving tomm.

I very much enjoyed myself.

Seemed everyone on the lifts during the weekdays was from CA, the OC specifically. Sorry.

Most of the locals I met on the chairlifts were guys 75+. Nice people.

There was some pretty erratic behavior on Saturday and I ended up leaving for fear of getting injured by someone else. Last straw was the guy next to me with the cellphone to his ear coming down the hill next to me - WTF?

After seeing Saturday and the fact there was supposed to a be a bit of new snow Sunday I knew to stay the fvck away.

I don't know what it is about weekends in general but whatever outdoor activity it really seems to bring out the most selfish dipshits.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
So funny and accurate.

There was an absolutely clueless Chinese guy ahead of my son and I talking loudly on his phone, while carrying his board through the liftline. Completely oblivious to his surroundings and what other people are doing - the mark of the kook. Lift line ticket checker tried to help him, he was still confused and still on the phone. I helped the lift operator out by telling him to get off the phone, get out of the line, put his board on, and then get on the lift later.

He still tried to get on the lift while carrying his board. Lift operator thankfully jerked him off to the side, and as my son and I got on, I chewed him out a little bit more. My son innocently asks, "Daddy, was that a donkey?" Yes it was, son, yes it was.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about beginners in general. EVERYONE has been in that early learning curve at one point and we all have had our spectacular and embarrassing wipeouts. But you watch the people who are good, see what they do, take good advice when you receive it, practice on your own where there are minimal people/interference, and then once you have appropriate skill level, only then do you join the fray. I think you could say that for just about every activity/sport out there. :socrazy:

Iceman

Phil Edwards status
Apr 1, 2002
NorCenCal
Was able to get up to Kirkwood this past Thursday 1/19. Drove up the previous night to the family's spot which is at 3500', and it was snowing there, though wet, as to be expected. Waking up the next morning, Kirkwood was reporting 8" of light fluffy stuff, and Carson Spur closed. I went for it since they had finally opened up the Spur the previous day after it being closed for 3+ days and figured it would be a quicker turnaround this time. Just as I was arriving at the closed gate at Peddler Hill, they were opening it up. Score!

Parked by 0830, standing in line at Chair 6 by 0845 and probably within the first 40 people in line. Unfortunately the lifts didn't open until 1015 due to some avalanche mitigation work (they did trigger some decent slides, so it was well warranted), and it was pretty darn cold. Damn near froze just standing there waiting. But once the lifts were spinning, I was going hard.

Took my first run close to the lift, then started doing some hiking to get some fresher lines. Was rewarded but getting some distance from the crowd. The Wall opened up later so was able to get some different lines before lunch, but then, I had to head home. You see, my wife roped me into dinner with her family back in Santa Cruz, even though when she had asked me which night I preferred between Thursday and Saturday, I gave a pretty emphatic vote for Saturday. Oh well. I missed hitting the backside when they opened up after 1pm, but I definitely made the best of my 2+ hours.

P.S. - the snow walls along Carson Spur were the biggest I'd seen! I doff my cap to Caltrans for getting it open.

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Nice - you scored!

I'm going to take a day off sometime next week for a day trip. Will check forecast and play it by ear. I looked through my binding stash - the toestrap on every backfoot binding I have has been shattered. Those heelside turns through chunk - guess I am putting a lot of force into those. Riding with two left-footed bindings is intriguing but I will pass.

Carson Spur is crazy indeed right now - a long time since I have seen that much snow there. Check this from the 18th:

1674539797513.png

100+ mph winds today up there - mountain closed all day from what I heard.

• Wow
Reactions: Chocki

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
West Coast looks fairly dry for the rest of the month and into next. Another 4"-8" maybe over the weekend in PNW and early next week for Tahoe, but HP is pushing everything east down through the Rockies. Not seeing snow globe conditions or snorkel alerts. Looks like a sotherly track setting up too at some point. Putting my money on one good storm in Feb for PNW and then a few weeks in March. Doubt we will see an April like last but ya never know.

https://www.windy.com/-Rain-thunder-rain?rain,2023013012,41.290,-117.844,6,m:eSsacX6

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Oh My GAWD!? East Peak Lodge on the right there. That should be a DJ booth in the middle where the two chairlift lines / mobs converge. Was right there back in December, but have seen it about that bad other times, namely when they closed Dipper for wind hold and everyone had to get out on Comet. Ugh.

bruhdakine

Miki Dora status
Jul 7, 2003
PNW
I've been up in your neck of the woods the past week, last day was today and leaving tomm.

I very much enjoyed myself.

Seemed everyone on the lifts during the weekdays was from CA, the OC specifically. Sorry.

Most of the locals I met on the chairlifts were guys 75+. Nice people.

There was some pretty erratic behavior on Saturday and I ended up leaving for fear of getting injured by someone else. Last straw was the guy next to me with the cellphone to his ear coming down the hill next to me - WTF?

After seeing Saturday and the fact there was supposed to a be a bit of new snow Sunday I knew to stay the fvvk away.

I don't know what it is about weekends in general but whatever outdoor activity it really seems to bring out the most selfish dipshits.
Glad you had fun! You should have reached out. I was working all week but rode Saturday and Sunday. My kids were in the competition that was going on under Pine Marten on Saturday. Snow was pretty fun Sunday - the parking lot filled up but the entire mountain was open so the crowds felt relatively chill. I hear you though about erratic behavior on the hill. It's mind blowing how many jerrys there are sometimes.
Have a good trip home!

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

Kento

Duke status
Jan 11, 2002
The Bar
Oh My GAWD!? East Peak Lodge on the right there. That should be a DJ booth in the middle where the two chairlift lines / mobs converge. Was right there back in December, but have seen it about that bad other times, namely when they closed Dipper for wind hold and everyone had to get out on Comet. Ugh.
With that line, I wonder if you could hike it faster...

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Summit County bro I think and one of many arbiters these days. His board, boot, and binding reviews are decent.
As far as I know he’s a Breck loc who’s been in the industry forever. Ive found his reviews to be on point, unbiased and fully legit.
I also think he’s wicked funny.

Me after hearing #2 bc that’s me irl
1674615325115.jpeg

Last edited:

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com
We‘ve been hitting our smaller family owned mountain here in the Cascades every weekend. My 8 year old daughter is in the Intro to race/freestyle class on Saturdays so me and wifey get Saturdays to ourselves, Sundays are family ski/board days. Last weekend was the best weekend of the winter thus far. I’ve also started tuning and waxing here for people in town, so if you’re in Tacoma/Gig Harbor area and want your gear tuned up, HMU.

E8963B97-A532-4AD1-A6C7-8EC3038BCB47.jpeg

Our 13 year old TJ dog still playing in the snow.
ACF299F5-F80D-4B1C-94A7-8951A586590B.jpeg

Me and the kiddo clogging lift lines on Sunday (I’m in the blue jacket, she to the left in the purple jacket).
27D3FA2D-E8B9-4F41-BD08-4DA571DBF741.jpeg

Apres with the kiddo in Packwood‘s finest establishment.
FBF79A3F-B2A6-4A28-80BA-0B1E7868EEBD.jpeg