New York becomes 6th state to ban child marriages…..

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
15 years a go at the age of 25 i made 13 dollars an hour as runner at a trailer house and was probably 30,000 in debt between student loans and credit cards... couldnt buy a house then either but thanks for helping me prove my point.

its taken me 15 years of grinding, working my ass off 60-80 hours a week to get where im at today, where i have enough capitol for a down payment and i still cant buy a reasonably priced home in a good area.
Your life choices in those critical years after high school set a course that you're still working your way out of. Unfortunate but true.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
15 years a go at the age of 25 i made 13 dollars an hour as runner at a trailer house and was probably 30,000 in debt between student loans and credit cards... couldnt buy a house then either but thanks for helping me prove my point.

its taken me 15 years of grinding, working my ass off 60-80 hours a week to get where im at today, where i have enough capitol for a down payment and i still cant buy a reasonably priced home in a good area.
it‘s great when someone is judgmental of others and tell them that they’re “getting a late start”.

like…...Ok, Uncle Fat Craig, go fvck yourself.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Its a shame you're getting such a late start. You probably could have bought a $400,000 house 15 years ago and you'd be way ahead of the game right now based on what you're paying in rent. Home ownership needs to be a priority as young as possible. Paying rent for 15 or 20 years is just helping someone else.
Which speaks to the advantage of being born into a certain time in history :foreheadslap:

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Better than renting:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12700-Elliott-Ave-492-El-Monte-CA-91732/2069679086_zpid/

Last edited:

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
Better than renting:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/12700-Elliott-Ave-492-El-Monte-CA-91732/2069679086_zpid/
Space rent on the trailer is most likely as much as his rent now, in addition to the mortgage

Sylmar would be traffic hell to get to where he is, and if that house is that cheap there's some serious issues

The last two are in the hood HOOD and would be much higher than his rent by the time you factor in property tax and any other fees

• Love
Reactions: CutnSnip and mundus

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California
Better than renting:

for where those are - renting is the better option.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Your life choices in those critical years after high school set a course that you're still working your way out of. Unfortunate but true.
by going to college? lol.

my industry you dont just waltz in & make money right off the bat. it takes everyone alot of time and patience before you start making good money so its all relative. some people graduate college right into a six figure job, and most of us creative types had to grind to get here. imo it payed off because now i get paid well to do something i like/love depending on the day which basically is playing with a fancy toy all day.

so be it if it took a few extra years to get here if the alternative was having some boring office job or sales or real estate

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
by going to college? lol.

my industry you dont just waltz in & make money right off the bat. it takes everyone alot of time and patience before you start making good money so its all relative. some people graduate college right into a six figure job, and most of us creative types had to grind to get here. imo it payed off because now i get paid well to do something i like/love depending on the day which basically is playing with a fancy toy all day.

so be it if it took a few extra years to get here if the alternative was having some boring office job or sales or real estate

My point exactly, from my post above.

If someone is doing something they enjoy, making a good living, feeling like they've accomplished something (which is sounds like you have and are).......who is anyone else to judge them for "getting a late start"? It's really shitty and judgmental.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018

If someone is doing something they enjoy, making a good living, feeling like they've accomplished something (which is sounds like you have and are).......who is anyone else to judge them for "getting a late start"? It's really shitty and judgmental.
thats the thing - i didnt get a late start.

maybe 2 years late i guess since I didnt go to college straight out of high school, but those 2 years are insignificant in the scope of things.

it'd take anyone starting from scratch a long time to save up the down payment (20 percent) for a house in todays market w/o help from outside sources, especially in LA, in a decent part of town.

surfadelphia

Nep status
Nov 15, 2010
I don't know where the idea that rent is "throwing away money" came from. You're clearly getting something in return

Reactions: hal9000

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I don't know where the idea that rent is "throwing away money" came from. You're clearly getting something in return
There is some truth in it, in the sense that when you pay your mortgage, some of that goes into equity that you own and can eventually get back when you sell or utilize for credit.

However that statement is highly simplified. You don't get the interest back. You don't get your property taxes back. You don't HOAs, utilities that were accustomed to your landlord paying, or maintenance costs (and time) back.

The property tax deduction for interest and property were effectively wiped out in the recent tax bill by virtue of making them obsolete for everyone except for single property owners.

Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
thats the thing - i didnt get a late start.

maybe 2 years late i guess since I didnt go to college straight out of high school, but those 2 years are insignificant in the scope of things.

it'd take anyone starting from scratch a long time to save up the down payment (20 percent) for a house in todays market w/o help from outside sources, especially in LA, in a decent part of town.

I'd say most people started and ended up exactly where they should have. Each person has to find their own way and not be beholden to some arbitrary formula dictating where and when you should go through certain rites of passage.

I know geniuses......at least 3 literal geniuses with PhDs and 10-12 really important science publications under their belts and a CV that would tempt UPenn to hire them in a hot minute. They walked away from the research life to become teachers. Their mental health and sense of reaching people where and when it really mattered meant more to them than climbing the academia ladder. All three of them could go back into research any time they want, I'm sure.

In fact, one of them is a good friend with whom I talk about this very subject every few months. We both ask each other "hey, do you ever think about going back into bio research?", and we both consider it at least twice a year.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014

Just don't complain about not being able to buy a house. Life is all about choices.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
Massive national conversation about how real estate is outside the investment capabilities of most Americans. Are you not aware of that?

Reactions: CutnSnip